Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Signal Issues

Tip us?

amkirk94
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Post Signal Issues

It is quite common now that almost all of our beloved ROMs are "infected" from the well-known issue of signal dropping. The "No Service" indication appears and you're unable to make calls, send messages or use data (you're screwed in other words :P ). The problem seems to be appearing mostly when the battery is low (about 20% or lower)

While this problem doesn't seem to be getting solved any time soon, I would like to suggest to those who want to have a functional phone (by that I mean make calls), but still want to have a smooth Kit Kat experience, to look for older builds of their favourite ROMs. Basically all ROMs on 4.4.3, do not suffer from that issue that much. You will hardly notice it!

Me, personally I am using Liquid Smooth v3.1 2014-06-14 build, and I have never missed a call, or was unable to make one. I can also confirm that older nightlies of CM do not lose signal as well(2014-06-17 for example)!

I don't know while this particular issue hasn't be solved yet, but I bet our great developers will find a way to eliminate it eventually!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amkirk94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

imagetm
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkirk94 View Post
It is quite common now that almost all of our beloved ROMs are "infected" from the well-known issue of signal dropping. The "No Service" indication appears and you're unable to make calls, send messages or use data (you're screwed in other words :P ). The problem seems to be appearing mostly when the battery is low (about 20% or lower)

While this problem doesn't seem to be getting solved any time soon, I would like to suggest to those who want to have a functional phone (by that I mean make calls), but still want to have a smooth Kit Kat experience, to look for older builds of their favourite ROMs. Basically all ROMs on 4.4.3, do not suffer from that issue that much. You will hardly notice it!

Me, personally I am using Liquid Smooth v3.1 2014-06-14 build, and I have never missed a call, or was unable to make one. I can also confirm that older nightlies of CM do not lose signal as well(2014-06-17 for example)!

I don't know while this particular issue hasn't be solved yet, but I bet our great developers will find a way to eliminate it eventually!
I am very grateful for your post, because I also noticed this issue and it's driving me crazy for a few weeks. I tested almost all available ROM 4.4.4 and everywhere was the same! I did so: clean install + iodak kernel v10 + about 6%/10% battery (no gapps).
When you first start, after a reboot and enter the PIN code to establish a connection with the network was easy and fast in any case. Then I use the "QUICK SETTINGS" - switch, to change
"Network mode" (2G | 3G | 2G+3G). The network was disconnected in order to connect again in a different mode. Unfortunately again, and sometimes third or fourth (at intervals of tens of seconds) could no longer connect. The worst was the last CM11-NIGHTLY: when you disconnect the network, you can not get connected network again, at 4% battery!!!
Only connect the charger meant that after a few seconds the network connection (whether of 2G or 3G) was possible.
I thought it was fault of my device.
Downgrading to 4.4.3 is a good idea. What do you think about LS-KK-v3.1-2014-07-02-p880.zip?
Is there this Signal Issues? Now, I'll test it.
The Following User Says Thank You to imagetm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amkirk94
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagetm View Post
I am very grateful for your post, because I also noticed this issue and it's driving me crazy for a few weeks. I tested almost all available ROM 4.4.4 and everywhere was the same! I did so: clean install + iodak kernel v10 + about 6%/10% battery (no gapps).
When you first start, after a reboot and enter the PIN code to establish a connection with the network was easy and fast in any case. Then I use the "QUICK SETTINGS" - switch, to change
"Network mode" (2G | 3G | 2G+3G). The network was disconnected in order to connect again in a different mode. Unfortunately again, and sometimes third or fourth (at intervals of tens of seconds) could no longer connect. The worst was the last CM11-NIGHTLY: when you disconnect the network, you can not get connected network again, at 4% battery!!!
Only connect the charger meant that after a few seconds the network connection (whether of 2G or 3G) was possible.
I thought it was fault of my device.
Downgrading to 4.4.3 is a good idea. What do you think about LS-KK-v3.1-2014-07-02-p880.zip?
Is there this Signal Issues? Now, I'll test it.
I've already tested it, and it had serious signal issues.

imagetm
Old
Thanks Meter 2
It's funny, but after much testing, it seems to me that the solution is in "the middle of the road":
  • (3) - LS-KK-v3.1-2014-07-02-p880.zip - (last, no T2FS) loses connection to the network for no reason at a level below 20% of the battery, but it is able to establish connection to the network, but after a while it loses again. Sorry... disqualification.
  • (1) - LS-KK-v3.1-2014-06-14-p880.zip - In my opinion the disqualification too. Switch (3G/2G) in the "QUICK SETTINGS" does not switch, but only shows what is set as the "Preferred network type" in the settings. After using the "switch" network is disconnected, but again reconnect never occurs at the level of the battery 8% and below.
  • (2) LS-KK-v3.1-2014-06-23-p880.zip - as in (1), but the switch (2G/3G) works good, and can freely switch the connection types, up to 8% of the battery . Below this value, you will not be able to connect to any network (unless you connect the charger).
Corrigendum: after a few minutes, joined the 2G network at 5% battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to imagetm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]