[Q] Encrypting the LG 4X HD

OP pilux_han

20th September 2014, 04:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
More
Has anyone managed to encrypt this device? When I try it just sits at the Droid screen and nothing happens.

The following message is displayed in the log:
I/Timeline( 580): Timeline: Activity_windows_visible id: ActivityRecord{42559a68 u0 com.android.settings/.CryptKeeperConfirm$Blank t16} time:6294032
E/Cryptfs ( 168): Orig filesystem overlaps crypto footer region. Cannot encrypt in place.

This is with CM11 latest nightly. It seems this problem is not unique to this device.

Is there a recent Android ROM where this works?
21st September 2014, 05:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 220

478 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilux_han

Has anyone managed to encrypt this device? When I try it just sits at the Droid screen and nothing happens.

The following message is displayed in the log:
I/Timeline( 580): Timeline: Activity_windows_visible id: ActivityRecord{42559a68 u0 com.android.settings/.CryptKeeperConfirm$Blank t16} time:6294032
E/Cryptfs ( 168): Orig filesystem overlaps crypto footer region. Cannot encrypt in place.

This is with CM11 latest nightly. It seems this problem is not unique to this device.

Is there a recent Android ROM where this works?

It got fixed today so wait for 21-9-2014 nightly and then it should work.
Last edited by SuperLamic; 21st September 2014 at 06:07 PM.
21st September 2014, 07:00 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLamic

It got fixed today so wait for 21-9-2014 nightly and then it should work.

Ah, great!

Do you know whether a simple update to the nightly will be enough or will the file systems have to be recreated (since some of the articles on this topic mention that the file system needs to leave some space on the partition unused)?
21st September 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Limassol
Thanks Meter: 7,123

2,432 posts
Donate to Me
More
Note that once you encrypt the phone you wont be able to access internal sdcard in recovery -> cant use cm updater and you have to copy and flash manually new roms from external sd
21st September 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 234

834 posts
More
Do we actualy gain something from this encryphting thing or it is just for "paranoid " people ?
21st September 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi89

Do we actualy gain something from this encryphting thing or it is just for "paranoid " people ?

For me it is a work requirement. I've lost access to work mail and calendar while my phone is not encrypted.

I know the updates will be more difficult and cumbersome after the phone is encrypted. I've already switched from CWM to TWRP for this reason (even though that switch is only half working).
Last edited by pilux_han; 21st September 2014 at 10:05 PM.
22nd September 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 538

835 posts
I apologize but I don't know much althoug i am quite interested,
what does this mean? how is the phone encripted?
Does it need a pw in adb?

From demetris' post

I already flash everything from ecternal sd
I don't need internal within recovery
I don't use cm updater (i'm on lsmooth)

Other downsides?'
Last edited by Rudjgaard; 22nd September 2014 at 02:12 AM.
22nd September 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudjgaard

I apologize but I don't know much althoug i am quite interested,
what does this mean? how is the phone encripted?
Does it need a pw in adb?

From demetris' post

I already flash everything from ecternal sd
I don't need internal within recovery
I don't use cm updater (i'm on lsmooth)

Other downsides?'

It does indeed work with yesterday's nightly. I looked at the changelog and didn't see anything that matched, but it does work. Thanks!

Supposedly there is a small performance impact, but I haven't noticed it at this point. It uses your default unlock PIN to encrypt the data on the phone. After it is encrypted you can apparently change this to a different PIN or password. You only need to enter this PIN when the phone is rebooted.

My newly encrypted phone appears to work as normal. Next challenge will be the next CM11 upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to pilux_han For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd September 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #9  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 220

478 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilux_han

It does indeed work with yesterday's nightly. I looked at the changelog and didn't see anything that matched, but it does work. Thanks!

Supposedly there is a small performance impact, but I haven't noticed it at this point. It uses your default unlock PIN to encrypt the data on the phone. After it is encrypted you can apparently change this to a different PIN or password. You only need to enter this PIN when the phone is rebooted.

My newly encrypted phone appears to work as normal. Next challenge will be the next CM11 upgrade.

If you want to see REAL changes, you have to take a look at Cyanogenmod repos:

kernel
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/lge-k...ommits/cm-11.0
AND device repo
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...ommits/cm-11.0

also there is a chance to nightly will not include fixes from same day because build started before developer commited the change, so you can look at jenkins: http://jenkins.cyanogenmod.org/view/All/builds (there you can see builds and it's build times)
27th September 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
So that means if i encrypt now my LG 4X HD (i have 2014-09-26 nightly installed) the internal CM updater and the update from the internal sd didn't work anymore and only from the external sd will work?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread