FORUMS

Samsung Galaxy S6 To Receive Major Camera Update

When the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were launched, they became the prime focus for … more

Tactile: An Addicting Game with Beautiful Material Design

The game industry has been around for decades, catering to a wide … more

Android’s Consistency and The User Experience

This is a site of power users, and it is fair to say that most of us are more … more

Which Manufacturer (And Device) Made You Choose Android?

The beautiful thing about Android is that there is so much to choose from. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[MOD][23 MAY] MultiROM v32

23rd May 2015, 08:38 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Home of FCB
Thanks Meter: 292

More
Hello guys!
After learing a lot from these great devs arround here i decided to start to try out a new project! Multirom!!
You might or might not have heared of it, THE multi-boot mod for the Nexus 7. I found it and have decided to port it for our device.

First of all, it is a very initial release now. Though I have tested multiple cases and didn't find any problem except those in the bug list, bugs can arise. Do have a backup! Also, do read through the whole OP and 2nd post! If you don't understand something, rather read again and/or ask!

For more information on how it works and what it does, I suggest that you read the first few posts in the original thread. Those are very detailed and well-written posts that explain MultiROM in general. Installing roms to USB and Ubuntu/Ubuntu Touch of course doesn't work for our device atm.

Installation
The device must not be encrypted!
You need to flash the modified TWRP recovery that has MultiROM extensions. My version is based on the latest sources with gordon0001's device-specific modifications included. You can keep this recovery if you don't want to use MultiROM anymore and you like TWRP, because the MultiROM extensions don't interfere with other functions, even if the boot sector is not injected.
You have to flash a kernel that is capable of Kexec-hardboot.

Links
You can find everything at https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=32204.
multirom-20150521-v32-UNOFFICIAL-p880.zip : The multirom zip
CM12_Kernel_Patched.zip : CM 12 Kernel with Kexec-Hardboot Patch ; Thanks to @Adam77Root the patch and @laufersteppenwolf for building Kernel
multirom_uninstaller.zip : Selfexplaining

Known Bugs
-Reboot to recovery doesn't work.
-UI has some graphical bugs
-Double Press to boot Secondary Rom doesnt work -> Press twice on the Rom you want to boot and press Powerbutton at the same time till you recoginze a vibration
-You tell me more

Changelog
23 May 2015: Initial release

Credits
@Tasssadar for MultiROM, Kexec-hardboot for Nexus 7 and his help with debugging and porting
@Adam77Root for Thread Content

XDA:DevDB Information
[MOD][23 MAY] MultiROM v32, Tool/Utility for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Contributors
fritzcola

Version Information

Created 2015-05-23
Last Updated 2015-05-24
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fritzcola For This Useful Post: [ View ]

23rd May 2015, 08:39 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Home of FCB

More
Explanation

In the next two examples, I will refer any official, unofficial, or CM-based roms as CM. Keep this in mind.
I use the word 'injected', because MultiROM is actually injected into the boot partition. It works on any kernel that is capable of doing Kexec-hardboot (and if you don't want to use different kernel (i.e. you will use kernel sharing), it will work on unpatched kernels as well).
I may refer to non-shared kernel method as Kexec(-hardboot) method

Example scenario of multi-booting CM with CM and kernel sharing
You are on CM with MultiROM-capable recovery, patched kernel and MultiROM-injected and you want to install e.g. CarbonRom as second.
Boot into TWRP, navigate to Advanced->MultiROM and select 'Add ROM'. Since the base rom is CM, you can share the same kernel. It will be faster as there will be no hardboot needed.
The installation steps are easy and it doesn't take more time than a normal installation.

Example scenario of multi-booting CM with CM and different kernel
You are on CM with MultiROM-capable recovery, patched kernel and MultiROM-injected and you want to install e.g. CarbonRom as second.
Boot into TWRP, navigate to Advanced->MultiROM and select 'Add ROM'. Select 'Don't share'.
Continue with installation.
Now, since the target kernel (that is installed with the rom) is very likely not patched, you will have to flash one of my linked kernels to that rom. Do this by selecting 'List roms', selecting the desired rom, than 'Flash ZIP' and flashing one of the kernels I have patched.
You can only share kernels if you are on the same Android version for example 5.0.x!

Source Codes:
Tree
Last edited by fritzcola; 23rd May 2015 at 08:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fritzcola For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2015, 09:51 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Any screenshot? I didn't understand the ui bugs. What are they ? Great work fritzcola I will install my device when ui bugs are solved
23rd May 2015, 10:59 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Home of FCB

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWinner

Any screenshot? I didn't understand the ui bugs. What are they ? Great work fritzcola I will install my device when ui bugs are solved

Look here! https://www.dropbox.com/s/whor0zf6xx...34854.mp4?dl=0
24th May 2015, 08:53 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcola

Look here! https://www.dropbox.com/s/whor0zf6xx...34854.mp4?dl=0

Ow it's no problem for me Installing now , great work !
Today, 01:40 AM |#6  
Flag mansora
Thanks Meter: 2

More
thanks
its work good
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread