Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stuck at boot animation after flashing CM 11 ROM

Tip us?

gautam_k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stuck at boot animation after flashing CM 11 ROM

Hi,
I was running BeanStalk-4.4.270 03/18/14 by zymphad. Im not sure what the kernel was.
I tried flashing the ROM by ronasimi in this thread.
The ROM that i picked was cm-11-20140817-UNOFFICIAL-geeb & the kernel was gbx-kernel-lights-CM11.0-CAF.zip. Apart from this i picked the Google Stock package of PA GApps from here.
For flashing i did the following :-
1. backed up all my apps using TB from BeanStalk.
2. loaded the ROM, the kernel & GApps zip files into a folder on my sdcard.
3. rebooted into recovery(TWRP 2.6.xx), backed up my original ROM and lined up all the three flashable zips and flashed them. (The flash was successful)
4. Then i rebooted into system. But after reaching the home screen, i was getting errors "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped" & "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped". I remembered it might be because i forgot to wipe dalvik & cache.
5. I again rebooted into recovery, wiped dalvik & system cache and tried booting into system. It was still giving the same issues.
6. I tried restoring my old ROM's backup. Surprisingly even that wouldn't solve the issue.
7. So i again flashed the CM11 ROMs. But this time, the boot process is getting stuck at the boot animation.

My Qs are as follows:-
1. Did i miss anything or do something that is not recommended (or maybe even dangerous)?
2. What should be my next step in resolving this issue?

Any help appreciated.

ShoaibAhmed
Old
Thanks Meter 743

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam_k View Post
Hi,
I was running BeanStalk-4.4.270 03/18/14 by zymphad. Im not sure what the kernel was.
I tried flashing the ROM by ronasimi in this thread.
The ROM that i picked was cm-11-20140817-UNOFFICIAL-geeb & the kernel was gbx-kernel-lights-CM11.0-CAF.zip. Apart from this i picked the Google Stock package of PA GApps from here.
For flashing i did the following :-
1. backed up all my apps using TB from BeanStalk.
2. loaded the ROM, the kernel & GApps zip files into a folder on my sdcard.
3. rebooted into recovery(TWRP 2.6.xx), backed up my original ROM and lined up all the three flashable zips and flashed them. (The flash was successful)
4. Then i rebooted into system. But after reaching the home screen, i was getting errors "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped" & "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped". I remembered it might be because i forgot to wipe dalvik & cache.
5. I again rebooted into recovery, wiped dalvik & system cache and tried booting into system. It was still giving the same issues.
6. I tried restoring my old ROM's backup. Surprisingly even that wouldn't solve the issue.
7. So i again flashed the CM11 ROMs. But this time, the boot process is getting stuck at the boot animation.

My Qs are as follows:-
1. Did i miss anything or do something that is not recommended (or maybe even dangerous)?
2. What should be my next step in resolving this issue?

Any help appreciated.
Flash TWRP 2.7.1 or Philz's touch CWM
than do a clean install
Wipe data and Format system
Flash any ROM (here CM 11 ) and Gapps
Flash proper kernel ( for CM 11 old Gprij-X kernel or neighborhood kernel)
Wipe cache and delvick cache
reboot profit

For more info :
The Following User Says Thank You to ShoaibAhmed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gautam_k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoaibAhmed View Post
Flash TWRP 2.7.1 or Philz's touch CWM
than do a clean install
Wipe data and Format system
Flash any ROM (here CM 11 ) and Gapps
Flash proper kernel ( for CM 11 old Gprij-X kernel or neighborhood kernel)
Wipe cache and delvick cache
reboot profit

For more info :
I tried flashing using TWRP but the flash failed. then I saw the video and thought of giving philz touch cwm a try. it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for the help. For kernel I flashed gprojx-kernel-lights-CM11.0-CAF-20140414.zip. Everything seems to be working now. Only thing is that I can't seem to turn off NFC. Every time I deselect the check box, go somewhere else and come back, the NFC check box is already checked.
Any tips on that? It's eating up my battery

ShoaibAhmed
Old
Thanks Meter 743

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I tried flashing using TWRP but the flash failed. then I saw the video and thought of giving philz touch cwm a try. it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for the help. For kernel I flashed gprojx-kernel-lights-CM11.0-CAF-20140414.zip. Everything seems to be working now. Only thing is that I can't seem to turn off NFC. Every time I deselect the check box, go somewhere else and come back, the NFC check box is already checked.
Any tips on that? It's eating up my battery
Reboot once and then try to turn off NFC , it will work.

gautam_k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Reboot once and then try to turn off NFC , it will work.
Awesome! Thanks a lot man.
One last Q ()- I spent almost 30mins combing through settings but I couldn't find a 3G/2G switch. Is it hidden somewhere or it doesn't exist yet in CM11?

ShoaibAhmed
Old
Thanks Meter 743

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks a lot man.
One last Q ()- I spent almost 30mins combing through settings but I couldn't find a 3G/2G switch. Is it hidden somewhere or it doesn't exist yet in CM11?
Settings--->Mobile networks--->Prefered network type--> change it from "LTE" to 2G/3G

gautam_k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Settings--->Mobile networks--->Prefered network type--> change it from "LTE" to 2G/3G
i am actually looking for a shortcut for the same in notification draweer or quick settings pulldown...apologies for not making it clear before.

gautam_k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
i am actually looking for a shortcut for the same in notification draweer or quick settings pulldown...apologies for not making it clear before.
Found the shortcut in Settings> Notification Drawer> Quick settings panel> Tiles & layout> Network mode

For some reason i was thinking that this will lead me to the GSM/WCDMA switch.