OP PsychoGame

26th September 2014, 11:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Koudum
Thanks Meter: 1,172

171 posts
Donate to Me
Hello everybody,

I'm back on the forums after being away for some time.
In the meantime I got myself my own LG Optimus G to be able to get to effective developing for this device.
My opinion is that this device is a powerfull device with a lot of "still to be unlocked" potential.
Before I bought the LG Optimus G I used the Samsung Galaxy S Plus, which had a very active and good developers which even today still perfectly support this old device.
When that phone launched it contained Android 2.3.6, but today it supports even the Android 4.4.4 builds (unoffical).
One of the most important steps in achieving this goal was to move from the Samsung provided kernel source to the CAF (Code Aurora Forum) based kernel source.

Because I wish the LG Optimus G the same future as my old device, I would like to get busy with bringing up the CAF kernel codebase on the LG Optimus G.
This will be a big project which is why I request fellow developers which are interested in this project to please join and form a development team with a common goal.
What needs to be done is:
- Obtain official LG Optimus G (Android 4.4) kernel sourcecode from: LGE975_G_Kitkat_Android_V20a_Kernel.zip
- Obtain latest CAF Kernel codebase (chipset apq8064) from: msm-5bfc8718998bedfeea1997d83838ffd1981cbf12.tar.gz (Last modification date: 30-06-2014)
- Extract added LGE Specific code and drivers from the official LG kernel source.
- Set-up a team Github with the clean CAF codebase, which all the driver and LG specific code will be added to.

If you're interested in helping with this project please contact me or leave a message over here.
Please no spamming etc.

Greetings PsychoGame
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PsychoGame For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th September 2014, 08:29 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Koudum

171 posts
Donate to Me
Hello everybody,

A little status update:
At this moment a 2-man team has been formed.
We have a team Github set-up for the development process this team will have.
The github link is: https://github.com/OptimusG-Dev-Team
If you are interested in giving us a helping hand with this project you're more than welcome.
Leave a message in this forum thread or contact me through a PM.
Experience with linux and also with the kernel is of course important.

Greetings PsychoGame
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsychoGame For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 118

316 posts
More
Bravo. Im hopeless in terms of what ever you code ninjas do, just wanted to let you know that i and most likely all in LGOG community greatly value this project. If you haven't already, perhaps PM some kernel devs as this would help in project gaining momentum and improved outcomes.
3rd October 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 313

982 posts
Happy to see that you're back psycho. Very brilliant idea. I hereby tag some devs to attract their attention. @faust93 @Loller79 , @jollaman999 , @Kevinjoa , @ThatKawaiiGuy , @xboxfanj , @JustinXu , @houstonn
Last edited by akahroba; 8th October 2014 at 08:56 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to akahroba For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd October 2014, 08:48 PM   |  #5  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 1,614

1,671 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey, I don't know much about kernel stuff, I'm learning Java atm so might be able to give tips. Not a lot though.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatKawaiiGuy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th October 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Louis, Mizzou
Thanks Meter: 6,575

7,043 posts
Donate to Me
More
I don't have the Optimus G anymore (haven't since March), so I won't be able to do a ton, but I can help solve issues if/when needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to xboxfanj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th October 2014, 08:57 AM   |  #7  
South Korea
Thanks Meter: 101

117 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahroba

Happy to see that you're back psycho. Very brilliant idea. I hereby tag some devs to attract their attention. @Loller79 , @jollaman999 , @Kevinjoa , @ThatKawaiiGuy , @xboxfanj

I don't have kernel knowledge that much... I just referenced other dev's kernel sources and fix it to my style.
But thanks for mention to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to jollaman999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th October 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Koudum

171 posts
Donate to Me
It'll take some time, but I'm sure we get there.
Thank you for tagging some other devs inside this thread so it raises more awareness.
Everybody is welcome to join this project, for example clone the repositories, making changes and contribute.
That's exactly what opensource is all about.
And of course if you're interested in joining the team just send me a PM and I'll bring you up to speed on the progress/process and give you the needed information.
At this moment I'm also in contact with a official LG Developer which hopefully can provide me with some information that will help this porting process as well.

Greetings PsychoGame
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsychoGame For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th October 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #9  
Flag Managua
Thanks Meter: 126

604 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollaman999

I don't have kernel knowledge that much... I just referenced other dev's kernel sources and fix it to my style.
But thanks for mention to me.

What about @houstonn ? Also I don't have any knowledge about this sort of thing really but I'll ask some other debs around to see if they want to join.

Sent from my LG-E975 using XDA Free mobile app
6th October 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Saint Louis, Mizzou
Thanks Meter: 6,575

7,043 posts
Donate to Me
More
Generally, if you look at the branch of the libEGL_adreno file (using strings or hexedit), you can figure out what tag the OEM used (or branch) and then plop their source over that, then git pull the latest branch on top and fix any conflicts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xboxfanj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread