Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] for LG Optimus G Pro E98x + CWM + TWRP [s-off]

Tip us?

1Zero3forlife
Old
(Last edited by 1Zero3forlife; 2nd February 2014 at 08:39 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,266

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROOT] for LG Optimus G Pro E98x + CWM + TWRP [s-off]

This is a great root method with easy to follow instructions that anyone can follow and without all the extra jibber jabber most do not understand. The originator of this root is @giantpune, please give him a Big Thanks!!!

**This Root Method has been confirmed working on the models listed below**
E980 AT&T (Does not work on 10P 01/08/2014 update)
E985 Euro/SFR
E986 Euro/SFR
E988 HK
E988 GCC
E988 India
E988 Starhub Singapore
E989 UK
E989 Israel

1st: Go to http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-E980 and download the drivers, let it install all the way before going to the next step.

2nd: Go to 7-Zip and download the program, it is the best one imo.

3rd: Download the attached root file below

4th: Un-Zip the Root file using 7-Zip to a known location

5th: Make sure in Developer Options you enable USB Debugging in your phones settings

6th: Make sure your phone is in Charge Only mode

7th: Plug your phone into your computer and give it about 3 minutes before going to the next step to ensure your computer can see your device

8th: Open the file and run the CurrentRoot.bat

9th: When it prompts you to go to MTP mode, do so in the same place Charge Only was found. LET IT SIT, 3 MINUTES MINIMUM!!!!! This will insure that your computer has seen your phone as a MTP device, if you rush it, the root will fail!

10th: Now hit any key to continue

11th: Once it is completed and your phone reboots, safely remove hardware to remove your phone.

You can download many free root checker apps from the Play Store or use SuperUser that is included with the root.

If you need the original AT&T TOT file with the update attached please visit
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=43541278
and thank @thecubed while your at it.

All done and rooted, want a new recovery and looking for an easy 5 minute CWM or TWRP Recovery, @Shelnutt2 has brought FreeGee to us which is a downloadable app in the Play Store.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=43789352

If you took the AT&T 10P update and cannot root, go to HERE and @madmack is going to help the situation.

Feel free to donate to any DEV that is linked to. I do not want, need or deserve any donation for their hard work.

Enjoy!

Original location of Root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=36593411
Thanks @giantpune

side note: I am not responsible for your phone, the above process worked flawlessly on my LG Optimus G Pro US Version E980 on 7/12/2013.
Attached Files
File Type: zip E980-UniversalRoot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.91 MB, 27084 views)
The Following 94 Users Say Thank You to 1Zero3forlife For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hevroth
Old
Thanks Meter 2
How do I know if I have the "Value Pack Upgrade"? I got an OTA update from AT&T/LG a few days ago, which completed successfully but my Android version is still 4.1.2. Is there a baseband version or build number I can compare against to see if I have this "Value Pack Upgrade"?

1Zero3forlife
Old
(Last edited by 1Zero3forlife; 13th July 2013 at 11:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,266

DONATE TO ME
That was the value pack upgrade sir 😀
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Zero3forlife For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hevroth
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I followed these directions exactly and it worked perfectly! I installed Root Explorer and it was successfully given superuser privileges.

Note to others: on step 10, the phone will reboot and the error message you may see on your phone (that a process stopped unexpectedly) is normal. I waited until the phone fully rebooted and finished loading everything before disconnecting my phone.

Android version: 4.1.2
Baseband version: APQ8064/MDM9x15M
Kernel version: 3.4.0
Build number: JZO54K
Software version: E98010k
The Following User Says Thank You to Hevroth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1Zero3forlife
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,266

DONATE TO ME
Awesome, I added a note about waiting for the phone to reboot. I did not see the message you got but I may have missed it looking at my daughter dance last night to Xbox.

Enjoy sir
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Zero3forlife For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

martinezma99
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Thank you for the above instructions. Zero issues.

Waiting the 3 minutes made all the difference.

This is the way to go to root! Thank you again!

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda premium

lessthanzach
Old
Thanks Meter 358
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=41361976

Um.... Yeah, been there since May. Original root by Garrett.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Go Here and make a difference!

Do it for Emily and Joe!

Task650 AOKP'd Galaxy SIII

Hit my "Thanks" if I helped you
The Following User Says Thank You to lessthanzach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1Zero3forlife
Old
(Last edited by 1Zero3forlife; 21st July 2013 at 03:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,266

DONATE TO ME
That failed every time I tried, plus the link is dead now. I found an updated version within a post somewhere on the Optimus G forum, if it was from carrett , thank you, it is appreciated greatly.

Sent from my LG-E980
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Zero3forlife For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lessthanzach
Old
Thanks Meter 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballshanglow View Post
That failed every time I tried, plus the link is dead now. I found an updated version within a post somewhere on the Optimus G forum, if it was from @carrett , thank you, it is appreciated greatly.

Sent from my LG-E980
I didn't know the link was dead, but I used the root from that thread to root my phone again after I wiped and updated.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Go Here and make a difference!

Do it for Emily and Joe!

Task650 AOKP'd Galaxy SIII

Hit my "Thanks" if I helped you

1Zero3forlife
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,266

DONATE TO ME
Its cool, I'm just trying to help, the updated one I found worked for me, the original one on the first page did not, dunno why.

Later
Steve

Sent from my LG-E980