Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 54,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Straight talk?

Tip us?

nsh121193
Old
(Last edited by nsh121193; 4th July 2014 at 08:42 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Straight talk?

Has anyone used this phone with straight talk? do you need to unlock the phone or will their sim card work instantly?

droidzika
Old
Thanks Meter 212
I'm using my AT&T Optimus G Pro with Straight Talk. Works great. If it's a GSM phone you can use Straight Talk.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
Device: Optimus G Pro
Carrier: ST
Kernel: STOCK | Recovery: STOCK
ROM: Stock Rooted 4.4.2
Radio: STOCK
Previous: Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 | Nexus 5 | Galaxy Nexus | Moto DX2
VZW 1+ONE OPPO <-- CRAPX2

cougar214
Old
Thanks Meter 30
No. Their sim card will not work unless you have the phone network unlocked.

nsh121193
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidzika View Post
I'm using my AT&T Optimus G Pro with Straight Talk. Works great. If it's a GSM phone you can use Straight Talk.

Yes mine is the AT&T version as well, did you need to unlock your phone? I have seen some saying you do and some saying you don't, but most people aren't on it it's just their thoughts. Since you are on, did you?

droidzika
Old
Thanks Meter 212
I didn't have to..that's the beauty of GSM phones. Most GSM doesn't necessarily have to be unlocked because most use the same frequencies. Also, I could use my Sim card on a T-Mobile phone, if it was GSM.

Device: Optimus G Pro
Carrier: ST
Kernel: STOCK | Recovery: STOCK
ROM: Stock Rooted 4.4.2
Radio: STOCK
Previous: Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 | Nexus 5 | Galaxy Nexus | Moto DX2
VZW 1+ONE OPPO <-- CRAPX2

Trotter516
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default 1117

I bought mine already unlocked so I have had no issues whatsoever using Straight Talk. Love getting 4G for 45 a month.

nicklefloss
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quick tip if you use straight talk all you need to order i straight talk att sim card. That gives you full 4g... If you use the straight talk t mobile sim you'll only get hspa +. If you have the t mobile sim then you'll need to unlock the phone and then set the phone up for T-Mobile network.
Add there is no need to unlock the phone.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Phone list: HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro 2, Samsung Moment, Samsung Epic, HTC EVO, HTC EVO 3d, Samsung Epic touch, Samsung Galaxy s iii ---- Don't know what is next.

cougar214
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I have the AT&T G Pro using Straight Talk. I had to network unlock mine. I verified this by putting the ST AT&T sim in before I unlocked it just to be sure and it did give me the "Invalid Sim" error. So this phone IS network locked. AT&T's provisioning is different than Straight Talks. So just because it's an AT&T phone and AT&T compatible sim doesn't necessarily mean it will just accept the sim without network unlocking.

zrhodes
Old
(Last edited by zrhodes; 6th July 2014 at 06:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I also have the AT&T G pro. ordered the at&t micro sim from ST and inserted and it worked without having to unlock the network lock. In fact on all of the AT&T branded phones i have used i have never ever had to unlock to use a ST sim card that used the at&t network.
In fact if you go to this link http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/sims
it will ask you if your phone is t-mob or AT&T and as long as you get the right sim for your phone, you should not have to unlock it.
I did have to edit my apn and follow the instructions in the thread below to get mms working

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2761126

MilesDerp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I didn't have to unlock my E980, as I used a AT&T compatible Straight Talk SIM. I get full LTE no troubles, but you have to fool with APNs to get MMS, as with most third-party carriers on other carrier's phones.