Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Deep sleep

Tip us?

jason504
Old
(Last edited by jason504; 1st July 2014 at 09:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
I am running stock att Kk rooted. My phone deep sleeps like a baby but when I get on my phone I can watch the battery drain. When I look at the battery graph under battery I can see sleep straight line across then when I get on the phone it goes straight down almost. I could be on it for 20min and it will go down like 8%

I was wondering if it could just be my battery cause I am having problems on all roms. Plus I have Flashed this phone about 30 times and I have had it for over a year

spexwood
Old
(Last edited by spexwood; 2nd July 2014 at 11:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
(Forgive the wordiness. I have a typing problem LOL)

I have an E980 too and was using the E980 stock ATT rom and also had issues.
Basically, the phone will work fine for a couple of hours after a reboot, but then all of a sudden, the phone would wake up (exit deep sleep; not screen turn on) and never sleep again.

Whenever this would happen I noticed a number of odd things happening (check to see if these are happening with you too!):
1) In battery usage, Android OS would suddenly consume 50-99% battery!! This is after hours of running the phone too. Usually, Android OS consumes 3-10% battery.
2) In Better Battery Stats, I had a lot of Wlan wakelocks. I use wifi a lot too, but these wakelocks would last for hours as soon as the phone stopped sleeping, whether wifi was connected or not.
3) In Better Battery Stats, there was a process called dhd_dpc that would run for the entire length of time since the phone was booted up
4) Phone would run warm with the screen off. Sometimes, it would get HOT. When you use the phone, it gets REALLY HOT.
5) According to Better Battery Stat's CPU usage history, once the wake occurs, the cpu will remain at 1.7GHz, even with phone asleep. Some roms I tried would have it scale down to 384MHz, but still, phone wouldn't enter Deep Sleep.

I tried everything to fix the issues and finally ended up flashing the E988 Hong Kong (I think) ROM and ALL my problems went away. The ROM works, but isn't designed for USA users. Yes, there's English, etc, but things like the Quick Remote app are meant for Chinese (Again, I think) users. It doesn't have USA cable company set top boxes like Verizon, etc.

Anyway, after having issues every single day since the E980 update, but lasting a full day on the E988 rom problem free (It's now been 2 full days and no issues still!!!!!), I realized that there was a problem greater than "User Error." I called AT&T up, dealt with their troubleshooting bullcrap (factory reset doesn't fix everything! I mean, I did it 4 times this week and the problem kept coming back with no apps installed!!! I didn't tell them this, but I also reflashed the ATT rom 3x too!!!!), and then they simply took a bug report and asked me to contact LG. I stumped them.
So then I called LG and after explaining all my symptoms and again dealing with me having to answer "yes" to all the girl's "Have you done this....?" questions, she put me on hold for a moment. She came back and told me that many issues have been reported by AT&T Optimus G Pro users (E980) and their software development team is already working on a new firmware version for our phone.

So in summary, the issue is due to bugs in the E980 firmware, but not in the other G Pro firmwares. According to LG customer support, they are already working on fixing the problems, but the girl didn't give me an ETA. Once LG finishes the fix, AT&T will have to review it and bloat the crap out of too, so it may take anywhere from a week to a few months before we get the fixed firmware.
Until then, you have two choices:
1) Live with it and pray that the next firmware comes sooner rather than later. I mean, they better be rushing this update!!!!!
2) Install the E988 stock firmware for now and use it until the next firmware comes out. Again, it isn't exactly the same as the E980 version, but it works and your phone won't be sick anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to spexwood For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fix-this!
Old
Thanks Meter 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by spexwood View Post
(Forgive the wordiness. I have a typing problem LOL)

I have an E980 too and was using the E980 stock ATT rom and also had issues.
Basically, the phone will work fine for a couple of hours after a reboot, but then all of a sudden, the phone would wake up (exit deep sleep; not screen turn on) and never sleep again.

Whenever this would happen I noticed a number of odd things happening (check to see if these are happening with you too!):
1) In battery usage, Android OS would suddenly consume 50-99% battery!! This is after hours of running the phone too. Usually, Android OS consumes 3-10% battery.
2) In Better Battery Stats, I had a lot of Wlan wakelocks. I use wifi a lot too, but these wakelocks would last for hours as soon as the phone stopped sleeping, whether wifi was connected or not.
3) In Better Battery Stats, there was a process called dhd_dpc that would run for the entire length of time since the phone was booted up
4) Phone would run warm with the screen off. Sometimes, it would get HOT. When you use the phone, it gets REALLY HOT.
5) According to Better Battery Stat's CPU usage history, once the wake occurs, the cpu will remain at 1.7GHz, even with phone asleep. Some roms I tried would have it scale down to 384MHz, but still, phone wouldn't enter Deep Sleep.

I tried everything to fix the issues and finally ended up flashing the E988 Hong Kong (I think) ROM and ALL my problems went away. The ROM works, but isn't designed for USA users. Yes, there's English, etc, but things like the Quick Remote app are meant for Chinese (Again, I think) users. It doesn't have USA cable company set top boxes like Verizon, etc.

Anyway, after having issues every single day since the E980 update, but lasting a full day on the E988 rom problem free (It's now been 2 full days and no issues still!!!!!), I realized that there was a problem greater than "User Error." I called AT&T up, dealt with their troubleshooting bullcrap (factory reset doesn't fix everything! I mean, I did it 4 times this week and the problem kept coming back with no apps installed!!! I didn't tell them this, but I also reflashed the ATT rom 3x too!!!!), and then they simply took a bug report and asked me to contact LG. I stumped them.
So then I called LG and after explaining all my symptoms and again dealing with me having to answer "yes" to all the girl's "Have you done this....?" questions, she put me on hold for a moment. She came back and told me that many issues have been reported by AT&T Optimus G Pro users (E980) and their software development team is already working on a new firmware version for our phone.

So in summary, the issue is due to bugs in the E980 firmware, but not in the other G Pro firmwares. According to LG customer support, they are already working on fixing the problems, but the girl didn't give me an ETA. Once LG finishes the fix, AT&T will have to review it and bloat the crap out of too, so it may take anywhere from a week to a few months before we get the fixed firmware.
Until then, you have two choices:
1) Live with it and pray that the next firmware comes sooner rather than later. I mean, they better be rushing this update!!!!!
2) Install the E988 stock firmware for now and use it until the next firmware comes out. Again, it isn't exactly the same as the E980 version, but it works and your phone won't be sick anymore.

id be shocked if we got anymore updates from lg.

spexwood
Old
(Last edited by spexwood; 3rd July 2014 at 06:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fix-this! View Post
id be shocked if we got anymore updates from lg.
This came from LG itself. Yeah, it was the customer service, but it was LG too. When the customer service tells you this kind of thing, it's usually true since it says it on their troubleshooting computer prompt.

Plus this isn't an update just in the sake of updating (like going from Jelly Bean to Kitkat), but an update to fix their pretty serious mistakes. They'd be extremely stupid to leave the firmware as it is now since it's currently broken. The KK update broke not only the AT&T OGP, but also every LG phone sold by a US mobile carrier. This includes the AT&T G2 and Verizon G2 as well.
EDIT: Actually, I was wrong. The G2 already received updates to fix issues. If they get updates to fix broken software, I'm sure we will too.

If they left the update as-is, they'd risk pissing off any current customers and driving away any future ones. In fact, they'd risk losing their entire US market. So I'm certain they'll release a "fix" update soon. I know LG has a bad update track record, but as far as I know, the firmwares they leave on their phones at least work. This is different. Nothing works correctly, and they would want to fix it.

EDIT: BTW, if you're using the E988, then yeah, any further updates may not happen. That firmware at least works.