[Q] E980 bricked - Computer says "unknown device" - Only boots into Recovery and DL

12th August 2014, 06:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Warwick, RI
Thanks Meter: 79

303 posts
More
My wife somehow managed to bork her Optimus G Pro. She was running rooted stock, and the phone ended up somehow booting to CWM. She said she "picked a few selections", and the phone won't get past CWM now.

I can't do the mobile flash tool because every time I connect the phone, it somes up as Unknown Device. This is after I updated the drivers on both computers. Tried various ports & USB cables, same thing. MY E980, by the way, shows up fine in Device Manager.

I've tried restoring a previous backup, but it still boots right back to recovery. For some reason, the phone doesn't recognize the external card, or I would have tried making a backup on the other phone with the bootloader included, but I have no way of getting it onto the broken phone, unless I can push it via adb somehow.

Anyway, I appreciate any help anyone can give
12th August 2014, 01:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 47

287 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixijimixi

My wife somehow managed to bork her Optimus G Pro. She was running rooted stock, and the phone ended up somehow booting to CWM. She said she "picked a few selections", and the phone won't get past CWM now.

I can't do the mobile flash tool because every time I connect the phone, it somes up as Unknown Device. This is after I updated the drivers on both computers. Tried various ports & USB cables, same thing. MY E980, by the way, shows up fine in Device Manager.

I've tried restoring a previous backup, but it still boots right back to recovery. For some reason, the phone doesn't recognize the external card, or I would have tried making a backup on the other phone with the bootloader included, but I have no way of getting it onto the broken phone, unless I can push it via adb somehow.

Anyway, I appreciate any help anyone can give

If the message you are referring to is one that pops up using a windows computer. I have seen it most of the times I have flashed back to stock. Unknown device, device can't be recognized, something not installed, etc. Carrying on with the restore method even so has also worked every time.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Return to stock method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2420219
12th August 2014, 01:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Warwick, RI

303 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abumy

If the message you are referring to is one that pops up using a windows computer. I have seen it most of the times I have flashed back to stock. Unknown device, device can't be recognized, something not installed, etc. Carrying on with the restore method even so has also worked every time.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Return to stock method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2420219

Yep, that's the message. I'm running Windows 7.

I'll give it a shot when I get home, but without the device showing up in the com port section of device manager, I can't change the phone over to port 41, right?
12th August 2014, 02:26 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Warwick, RI

303 posts
More
I have a TWRP backup from my other E980 that I included the Bootloader option in the backup. Is there any way to push that to the phone using ADB?
15th August 2014, 12:30 AM   |  #5  
Ann Arbor
Thanks Meter: 57

288 posts
More
I don't know if OP has the same problem as mine. My phone just keep boot into CWM all the time. No matter which rom I flash.

And I Finally found a method to solve this problem, please look here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=70

It salve my phone and I don't have to use the LG tools

@ixijimixi
Last edited by laofan; 15th August 2014 at 04:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to laofan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Warwick, RI

303 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laofan

I don't know if OP has the same problem as mine. My phone just keep boot into CWM all the time. No matter which rom I flash.

And I Finally found a method to solve this problem, please look here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=70

It salve my phone and I don't have to use the LG tools

@ixijimixi

Reading that post, it sure seems like what I'm going through. I'll have to give it a shot tonight. Either way, thanks for the response. This thing has me pulling my hair out.
16th August 2014, 12:40 AM   |  #7  
Ann Arbor

288 posts
More
Quote:

Reading that post, it sure seems like what I'm going through. I'll have to give it a shot tonight. Either way, thanks for the response. This thing has me pulling my hair out.

before you boot into system, make sure you already have one system installed( I did once wipe system and fogot to install a rom..)

At least that post is working for me! Now I am using TWRP,
18th August 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Warwick, RI

303 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laofan

before you boot into system, make sure you already have one system installed( I did once wipe system and fogot to install a rom..)

At least that post is working for me! Now I am using TWRP,

No luck with that post. Followed every step on two different computers, but neither computer will recognize it (keep getting that "unknown device" error in windows).

I saw a post somewhere that someone had luck formatting their system drive in Recovery, but that seems a little bit drastic to me. I'll probably try uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers again first. And more swearing. LOTS more swearing...
18th August 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #9  
Ann Arbor

288 posts
More
Quote:

No luck with that post. Followed every step on two different computers, but neither computer will recognize it (keep getting that "unknown device" error in windows).

I saw a post somewhere that someone had luck formatting their system drive in Recovery, but that seems a little bit drastic to me. I'll probably try uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers again first. And more swearing. LOTS more swearing...

Did you install LG driver in those two computer?

That post has cover issues when device is not recognized. If that doesn't help, you need to go back to stock using files in the General section
Last edited by laofan; 18th August 2014 at 01:18 AM.
18th August 2014, 04:00 AM   |  #10  
Philly pa
Thanks Meter: 23

242 posts
I'm also having the same problem. Can I run those adb commands on a Ubuntu machine?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick, download mode, unrecognized device
Previous Thread Next Thread