I had to modify this from instrux in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2283615
I suppose since my phone is unlocked, those instrux didn't work right for me.
I am going to make these as dummy-proof as possible, since I is a dummy:
This worked for my LG Optimus Pro E980.
1) Phone must be rooted (easy to do, other posts cover that)
2) Pay $3 and download SQLite editor by Speed Software to your phone
3) Open SQLite Editor on your phone
4) Click on "FILES" tab on top
5) Click on "data"
6) Click on "data" (from this point on, you may have to do some scrolling to find the right entry)
7) Click on "com.android.providers.settings"
8) Click on "databases"
9) Click on "settings.db"
10) Click on "system"
11) Click on "tether_entitlement_check_state" so it highlights grey (on mine, it's _id 24343, and so was near the bottom of the list. Yours may differ)
12) Click the pencil icon on top to start editing
13) Change the value to 0 (Mine was 5)
14) Click "Save"
15) Reboot your phone
16) Turn on Wifi Hotspot, and start Hotspottin'!
Let me know if this worked for you, and if your phone is unlocked.