[KERNEL][BETA/TEST][CM12][1/12/15] E980 Kernel+ V0.8.1

Search This thread

anonymous007

Aug 4, 2012
Loathing In Las Vegas
Once this kernel is done I'll probably just throw together a stock kk and add all the same things. That would take not too long since I would already know how to add everything.
Currently I'm learning by trial and error how to add everything... Which takes a lot of time. Even with porting. I have no idea how many files I'm supposed to edit or anything. Although I'm becoming pretty good at guessing where they are. I theoretically added uc, oc, intelli-plug, and uv from aosp kernel. However, that dev sets his kernel up differently so I'm trying to figure out everything, especially that giant config file.
But yes. Stock kk and maybe stock jb but there already is a stock jb kernel or two, so probably just kk. But yeah its in the plans. Once this is done hopefully I can attempt to unofficially compile a ROM or two for our device. Hopefully that wouldn't be as difficult as this. But we shall see.

Sent from my LG-E980 running Beanstalk 4.4 & E980 Kernel+

+1 on the ROMS really want to see Paranoid on our device :victory:

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
Asus Transformer TF300T
LG Optimus G Pro
Thank you for your input.
However you may notice I asked for the sources there a little bit ago. I will be taking everything desired from that and adding it to this one. :) So not so much as reinventing the wheel. But rather recreating the wheel with less crap in it. For example I do not understand the coding behind the dalvik improvements. If I cannot understand it, I do not wish to implement it. So I will not be updating that one.
(Plus when I used the 4.3 version I noticed a lot of crashes on Carbon. I hope to keep this as stable as possible. If I update this with everything I am aware of, it will be much easier to keep stable.)
Again though, thank you for the input. But hopefully today now I will have a new kernel with plenty of features and the kernel will be finished as a final V1.0 MUCH sooner than anticipated.

Make sure you go for stability as with the AOSP ones with CPUquiet and intelliplug, there are random reboots ever so often. It is a pain in the but. So it you can go for stability and add all the features go for it. Also if possible could you try to add the USB keyboard thing again? I mentioned it a while back, but it didn't work when you tried it. I'm not pressuring you I'm just giving a suggestion.

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Make sure you go for stability as with the AOSP ones with CPUquiet and intelliplug, there are random reboots ever so often. It is a pain in the but. So it you can go for stability and add all the features go for it. Also if possible could you try to add the USB keyboard thing again? I mentioned it a while back, but it didn't work when you tried it. I'm not pressuring you I'm just giving a suggestion.

I think I'll be skipping CPUquiet since it has no battery gain according to a few members. I'm doing Intelliplug along with OC, UC, and UV atm... I finally got the dang Intelliplug to compile after reading through tons of patches. I really hope it works along with the OC and UC. The last one I made wouldn't boot. :L
Oh and I'll give USB Keyboard a shot again soon. Now that I have a much better understanding of what I'm doing. It will be a little though.

MitoTakatori

Jul 20, 2013
Quezon City
www.itman.philwebsite.com
I think I'll be skipping CPUquiet since it has no battery gain according to a few members. I'm doing Intelliplug along with OC, UC, and UV atm... I finally got the dang Intelliplug to compile after reading through tons of patches. I really hope it works along with the OC and UC. The last one I made wouldn't boot. :L
Oh and I'll give USB Keyboard a shot again soon. Now that I have a much better understanding of what I'm doing. It will be a little though.

That is great news.

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
Asus Transformer TF300T
LG Optimus G Pro
Great to hear man. Keep up the good work. I tried the Intelliplug kernel but it would never deep sleep and it would randomly reboot always at the most inconvenient moments.

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Okay everybody, I have made a decision that I'm not sure how I feel about.
So instead of porting over features from our AOSP kernel (I nearly had intelliplug, uv, oc, and uc), I have decided to port over all of faux kernel's fixes, modifications, and features. Since the Nexus 4 is very similar to our device, I do not consider this impossible, since it is a similar phone. The main reason for this is I do not have enough experience (nor patience) to port feature by feature since there are so many gosh darn things I need to add to get a feature to work. This way, I will have all the defined functions I need and we will have tons of Snapdragon 600 optimized additions. :)
Also, looking through commits, I noticed some things about MAC addresses? That is good news.
So anyways, once that's done, F240 port is next, then maybe a stock kernel, along with USB keyboard.

Long story short: I hope you all have good practice in patience (well I guess we all have to have it, I mean we've been without a good kernel for a long long time). This will take quite a while. However, the payoff will be great, and once this is done I think it will be the full kernel version. Hopefully, it'll be as stable as the faux kernel for N4.
Wish me luck friends, and thanks for waiting :)

viewtifuljoe71

Aug 21, 2010
Augusta, GA
So instead of porting over features from our AOSP kernel (I nearly had intelliplug, uv, oc, and uc), I have decided to port over all of faux kernel's fixes, modifications, and features. Since the Nexus 4 is very similar to our device, I do not consider this impossible, since it is a similar phone. The main reason for this is I do not have enough experience (nor patience) to port feature by feature since there are so many gosh darn things I need to add to get a feature to work. This way, I will have all the defined functions I need and we will have tons of Snapdragon 600 optimized additions. :)
Also, looking through commits, I noticed some things about MAC addresses? That is good news.
So anyways, once that's done, F240 port is next, then maybe a stock kernel, along with USB keyboard.

Long story short: I hope you all have good practice in patience (well I guess we all have to have it, I mean we've been without a good kernel for a long long time). This will take quite a while. However, the payoff will be great, and once this is done I think it will be the full kernel version. Hopefully, it'll be as stable as the faux kernel for N4.

Do your thing man. We are patient.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
New(ish) kernel version!
I realized I've been keeping the Linaro compile update to myself for almost a week. In theory it's supposed to perform a little faster and be optimized for our device's CPU architecture since it's very similar to Cortex A-15. Anyways, it's not super important, and I didn't want to call this a new kernel version (since there is almost no change), but I guess it'll be a while until the next one. So enjoy!

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
Asus Transformer TF300T
LG Optimus G Pro
This isn't related to your kernel, but for some reason FauxClock isn't working anymore even though I purchased it on the play store, and the same with Trickster Mod and Greenify. For trickster and greenify the pro license isn't recognized even though it is installed and with FauxClock it won't connect to the WiFi to check my license for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this?

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
This isn't related to your kernel, but for some reason FauxClock isn't working anymore even though I purchased it on the play store, and the same with Trickster Mod and Greenify. For trickster and greenify the pro license isn't recognized even though it is installed and with FauxClock it won't connect to the WiFi to check my license for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this?

Sign out of your Google account and sign back in. Wipe Services/Framework/Play Store cache. Restart to recovery, wipe cache/dalvik, reboot.
If that doesn't work try a different ROM than the current you're using. Also try a different Gapps package. I couldn't get any of my purchases with Slim Gapps Play Store unless I was on Slim ROMs.

Antoniokodo

Aug 27, 2013
Another F240 user here, wish to have a good and updated Kernel for 4.4.2+ Roms. I' ve read the whole thread and seems like you need a CM11 kernel sources for the F240, wich I believe it will be hard to find, because Koreans and Asians really struggle when talking about Gpl (Do you know Mediatek? Hehe), that's the reason because most of the F240 dev work is not on Xda..

Well, I've never tried to boot a E98X kernel, so I don't know how it acts, I mean, I it stays at bootanimation or bootlogo or directly it doesn't reach the bootlogo. I think I will try to boot one of these, if there aren't any risks of bricking, but the main differences that I know between E98X and F240 it's just the radio and the lack of Fm Radio chip on the Korean, being changed by a Tv tuner, that doesn't work out of Korea[emoji25] .

The thing is, I will join forces and I will search for F240 sources, even for stock Rom, and maybe we can make a diff between F240 and E980 sources to see what the changes are.

Maybe hkfriends can help you giving some info that can be helpful. I cannot do more than searching because where I live I have very limited Internet consumption, so no compiling, etc..for me.

EDIT: just found Stock KK Kernel sources, though, I don't know if they are incomplete: https://github.com/noobies/f240l-kernel

EDIT: another, it seems to be for stock also, he has added some features like Oc, might be interesting :) https://github.com/fafalafafa/gprokernel

Btw, thanks for your work and hope we can find something useful!Ah, sorry if you don't understand me, I am not very proof at English

Last edited:
Reactions: Snepsts

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Another F240 user here, wish to have a good and updated Kernel for 4.4.2+ Roms. I' ve read the whole thread and seems like you need a CM11 kernel sources for the F240, wich I believe it will be hard to find, because Koreans and Asians really struggle when talking about Gpl (Do you know Mediatek? Hehe), that's the reason because most of the F240 dev work is not on Xda..

Well, I've never tried to boot a E98X kernel, so I don't know how it acts, I mean, I it stays at bootanimation or bootlogo or directly it doesn't reach the bootlogo. I think I will try to boot one of these, if there aren't any risks of bricking, but the main differences that I know between E98X and F240 it's just the radio and the lack of Fm Radio chip on the Korean, being changed by a Tv tuner, that doesn't work out of Korea[emoji25] .

The thing is, I will join forces and I will search for F240 sources, even for stock Rom, and maybe we can make a diff between F240 and E980 sources to see what the changes are.

Maybe hkfriends can help you giving some info that can be helpful. I cannot do more than searching because where I live I have very limited Internet consumption, so no compiling, etc..for me.

EDIT: just found Stock KK Kernel sources, though, I don't know if they are incomplete: https://github.com/noobies/f240l-kernel

EDIT: another, it seems to be for stock also, he has added some features like Oc, might be interesting :) https://github.com/fafalafafa/gprokernel

Btw, thanks for your work and hope we can find something useful!Ah, sorry if you don't understand me, I am not very proof at English

Your English is fine friend! Also, I have a new theory that maybe if hkfriend has a defconfig for your device I can use it with mine to try for a bootable F240. But for now I have been hard at work with the current kernel and intelli-plug. I may try this over the weekend though, and kick out some test builds to you.
Thank you for the information! I look forward to trying to bring my kernel to you. I may ask one of the F240 dev over in the android development for our device where he gets his cm kernel also.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Also I trust this looks promising for my kernel users?
Odd story, really. After losing my mind over the faux kernel port, I went back to my current working directory. I've been working on intelli-plug for a few days now, and no matter what I did, it would boot-loop on each kernel version. I left it to sit while I installed ADB to debug (or at least try), once I flashed I let it sit and got very frustrated at the boot-loop. I looked through my kernel directories a little... and then all of a sudden, it stopped boot-looping... And it BOOTED. Now it appears I have intelli-plug. I will test it tonight and tomorrow. This was the oddest thing I've seen yet...

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1413424278551.jpg
    1413424278551.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1413424287948.jpg
    1413424287948.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 79

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Hello friends, Intelli-plug SEEMS to be working.
Be very careful when flashing though. You probably will experience boot-loop for a little, but do not worry, it should fix itself EVENTUALLY (I do not know the cause of this... yet). If anybody knows how to logcat a boot-loop please get one to me, I am unable to or it might not be possible.
FLASH STEPS:
Reboot to recovery
Flash kernel
Wipe Cache/Dalvik
Reboot
Wait through boot-loops. (Might go on for a little bit, be prepared for a long wait. Like 10 minutes.)
Done!
Optional Step: Report any and all intelli-plug bugs to Snepsts.
But yes, it will boot EVENTUALLY.
A tip, the wait for the phone to exit boot-loop will probably feel pretty brutal. Just go make coffee or tacos while you wait.

Attachments

• E980Kernel+intelli-plugtest.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: Crinos512

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E980 Kernel+

***I am not responsible for you bricking your device or causing any other unwanted outcomes to your device. Be careful and smart. If you don't know what you're doing you probably shouldn't be flashing this.***

This is the E980 Kernel+
    The end goal here is to have a kernel with more features and potentially much better battery life. I can only guarantee it will work on E980, not sure if it will work on other devices. I also do not know what ROMs it will work on. That is up to you to share. Rule of thumb is, if it's CyanogenMod, it'll work.

Suported Devices:
    E980
    E988

***If you are interested in building your ROM with my kernel, you have my permission to do so. However, if you could just let me know, that'd be nice. Also a credit would be appreciated but is not necessary either.***
    DOWNLOAD
    [11/12/14]: E980Kernel+V0.7.3.4: http://goo.gl/yMqgrP
    [11/12/14]: E980Kernel+V0.7.3.3: http://goo.gl/eUfbQY
    [10/11/14] E980Kernel+V0.6: http://goo.gl/XvQg7Z
    [9/29/14] E980Kernel+V0.5: http://goo.gl/tJ9JGs
    [9/23/14] E980Kernel+V0.4: http://goo.gl/cxphLB
    [9/15/14] E980Kernel+V0.3.1: http://goo.gl/vtmnRR
    Original Kernel: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhkPfIzMhriQ0pqdGN0TnFDb2c/edit?usp=sharing

CHANGES
    [11/12/14] V0.7.3.4:
    Removed Undervolting
    Removed GPU Tweaks
    No more (or at least a lot less) random reboots :)
    [11/12/14] V0.7.3.3:
    Added Intelli-Plug V3.8
    Added Intelli-Thermal
    Added Undervolting
    Tweaked GPU a little (more to come later)
    Updated Intellidemand to V5
    ***If you are experiencing reboots upon setting CPU governors, set the voltage higher on your CPU thru Trickster or similar Kernel Settings App!***
    [10/11/14] V0.6:
    Compiled with Linaro (Should notice some minor performance improvements)
    Other minor changes
    [9/29/14] V0.5:
    Added I/O Schedulers:
    SIO, VR, Zen
    Fixed Faux
    Updated Faux Drivers to V3
    [9/23/14] V0.4:
    Removed Governors:
    SmartassV2, Hyper (Only in config, they are still in source)
    Added Faux Sound Controls (Thanks to Faux123 for his work)
    Updated to CM11 Nightly 9/23/14 boot.img
    [9/15/14] V0.3.1:
    Added Governors
    Dancedance, Intellidemand, SmartassV2, Hyper. (Hyper seems to be buggy, same with SmartassV2)
    Added TCP Congestion Control
    Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, Htcp, Vegas, Veno, Scalable, Lp, Yeah, Illinois.

Flashing Instructions:
    Make sure you use Mack's TWRP or Gummy CWM.
    Flash a supported ROM
    Flash E980 Kernel+
    Wipe Cache & Dalvik
    I highly suggest you are rooted and busybox'd.

Note: If flashing fails and you are on a CM11 ROM, you may want to try flashing original kernel or earlier version before reflashing your ROM or clean installing.

To-Do List:
    -Faux Sound - Done.
    -Governors/IO schedulers - Done.
    -More TCP congestion controllers - Done.
    -Replacement for Qualcomm's MP-Decision (Intelli-Plug) - Done.
    -Support for actual GPU underclocking (Maybe save battery since it always runs at top freq when it doesn't have to.) - In the works.
    -Support for undervolting - Removed for now.
    -Lower clock speeds than 384 MHz
    -Higher clock speeds than 1728 MHz
    -Intelli-Thermal - Done.
    -Fast Charge - Soon.
    -Battery Life eXtender - Soon.
    -Knock On/DT2W (May not add due to battery drain issue that comes with)
    -Keyboard USB support
    -Linaro Performance Toolchain - Done.
    -Support for F240 - In the works.
    -Anything else?

***Make note I do not know if I can implement all of these but I will try my best***

Source: https://github.com/Snepsts/kernel_e980
    Toolchain: https://github.com/Snepsts/linaro4.7gcc

HOW TO BUILD​
    At this point if anybody wants to try out the kernel before I make releases, you are free to compile it yourself. I would like to ask that you do not share compilations just because I like to track how many people download and use the kernel through my goo.gl links and the afh download counter. I don't like it when people rehost my kernel since it gives me misguided numbers on how many people are following my work. It's just personal though, I'm not going to stop you. I just like it because it gives me an idea of how many people are using my work and kind of makes me want to keep working on it since I know how many people still use it. :)
    Anyways, I'll leave instructions to compile right here:
    This is assuming you're using a Linux distro (VM or not, has to be 64-bit) Pretty much everybody recommends Ubuntu, and that's fine, but if you want my suggestion Mint runs like a dream. Anyways to building!
    You'll need to get the required packages. I forget these off the top of my head, but they're something like this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -y build-essential kernel-package libncurses5-dev bzip2 abootimg
    There might be more, idk. This should get you through the build. Let me know if there's anything else.
    Next we'll make a directory and grab the sources.
    Go to your main directory to store the android folder in (for tidiness sake), if you have a preference you can do this differently. If you're not sure what you're doing here, just go from where you are (should be your main dir):
    Code:
    mkdir android
    cd ~/android
    git clone https://github.com/Snepsts/kernel_e980.git
    This might take a while... when it's done you should have a folder called "kernel_e980" in your android directory.
    While we're downloading, go get the latest M build or the latest nightly of CyanogenMod: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=e980
    This will be useful later.
    Now we go grab a toolchain. My favorite is this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?x7lgbeprpg8gn choose the cortex A-15 one. Untar it and move the folder wherever you like. I suggest the android folder to follow the rest of the guide.
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    tar -xvf arm-cortex_a15-linux-gnueabihf-linaro_4.7.4-2014.06-build_2014_09_13.tar.xz
    Now move this folder through the GUI (Graphical User Interface), much easier than more commands imo.
    Now rename the folder toolchain, just because it's easier.
    Now we're ready to build. The username is whatever your Linux username is.
    Code:
    cd ~/android/kernel_e980
    export ARCH=arm
    export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/username/android/toolchain/bin/arm-cortex_A15-linux-gnueabihf-
    make cyanogenmod_e980_defconfig
    All ready to go :)
    One last thing, before you make it, if you are a little more advanced and need to toggle something or do anything else, use:
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    You probably don't need that.
    The # means the amount of cores in your computer's processor +1. For example, my Linux virtual machine has 4 cores allocated to it, so I assign it -j5. Now to make the kernel:
    Code:
    make -j#
    And watch the words flyyyyy.
    If anything fails, double check you didn't mess up. Also, the current Github build is never guaranteed to succeed.
    Once the build is completed, you should see something like:
    zImage is created!
    Or something. Now go to your Downloads and get the boot.img out of the CyanogenMod build whatever way you wish to.
    We'll leave it in the Downloads folder for the sake of the guide:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    abootimg -x boot.img
    Now you should have a zImage, intrid.img, and a bootimg.cfg. Ignore the zImage, move the intrid.img and bootimg.cfg to the ~/android/kernel_e980/arch/arm/boot folder.
    Now we finish the kernel:
    Code:
    cd ~/android/kernel_e980/arch/arm/boot
    abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r intrid.img
    Done! Your kernel will be the boot.img file.
    Replace a current kernel.zip's boot.img with this one, you can use any of the E980Kernel+ .zip folders for this. Just remove the boot.img in that one then put yours in it. I always upload my kernel to Gdrive and then download it to my phone to flash. But whatever you wanna do from here is fine.
    And now you have the latest version of E980Kernel+ Unofficial. Yay you!

XDA:DevDB Information
    E980 Kernel+, Kernel for the LG Optimus G Pro

Contributors
    Snepsts
    Source Code: https://github.com/Snepsts/kernel_e980

Kernel Special Features: Faux Sound, CPU Governors, TCP Congestion Controllers, I/O Schedulers, Intelli-Plug/Intelli-Thermal

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: V0.7.3.4
    Stable Release Date: 2014-11-12
    Current Beta Version: V0.8.1 TEST
    Beta Release Date: 2015-1-12

Created 2014-10-19
    Last Updated 2015-1-12
    Also, here is a CM12 Kernel that is on par with the features of the CM11 Kernel. Please test it and tell me if it works fine. It actually compiled right away after I applied all of my CM11 Kernel patches!!! Surprising indeed...

Alright, here we are. Goodies you need to test are:
    -Simple GPU Gov
    -Voltage Table
    -Fastcharge
    -Take a look at the CPU stats and tell me if they're more accurate.
    -Stability, of course!
    Lemme know if all works :)
    Update! -Hopefully a pleasant surprise :)
    I've been itching to do some good kernel work for a whole week. After a long day, I decided to call in sick tomorrow and get a solid day of kernel work in today. Needless to say, it was a great day. :)
    Faux is on there from what I've seen, I have yet to test it. I'm very tired and have a lot of work to do. Please let me know of any bugs you see.
    The next kernel might not have any real features, but instead I will attempt to actually compile it with a linaro toolchain. Supposedly linaro gives some very nice performance improvements and such. My only concern is the kernel may be a little unstable afterwards. Otherwise. Please enjoy the kernel, sorry for the wait and the false statement of waiting until Saturday for a kernel.
    Also, I am now using Android File Host, if you haven't noticed. Please let me know if it works fine, both desktop and mobile downloads! Thank you.
    P.S: The V0.3.1 kernel hit 150 downloads :) Looks like I've got a bit of a following, eh?