[KERNEL][BETA/TEST][CM12][1/12/15] E980 Kernel+ V0.8.1

Search This thread

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Hi @Snepsts
One quick question....
Can I flash this kernel of yours on any other rom other than cm12??
Like suppose a lollipop rom (based on stock)....for the E980....:confused:

Like Zama said, won't work. Period. Despite CM and LG using CAF as a base, LG modifies their kernel differently (as all vendors do) to fit LG based ROMs, whereas CAF is just for ROMs much closer to AOSP.
Think of it like the ROM, while AOSP is the base, LG adds a bunch of stuff to make it their stock ROM.
Same with the kernel, CAF is the base, LG adds a bunch of stuff to work with (or enhance) their stock ROM.

Hi Snepsts ! Kernel source of F240 was published
Does it help you building F240 kernel ?

Perhaps. If somebody on an F240 ROM could extract their boot.img and give it to me, I could see about LP support, at least on Cyanogenmod 12.

Yes please. Having a kernel that is made to work with Xposed would be a gift from beyond.

Yes, I think so too. As long as there aren't any issues with booting permissible; according to Zama it sounds like it may cause issues with an OS that is intended to run SELinux Enforcing.

zamajalo

Jun 22, 2014
Yes, I think so too. As long as there aren't any issues with booting permissible; according to Zama it sounds like it may cause issues with an OS that is intended to run SELinux Enforcing.

To add to Snepsts post:

I was reading about SELinux on android developer pages, so I think it would be pretty much better (and safer) for us to add rules (I'll try that by myself, because I'm sick of running permissive because of one app, I just need some free time), than to just simply disable SELinux or set it as permissible - that solution is like running away from problem and pushing it under the carpet. Still not sure about booting issues (I'll do a bit more of research about that, I'm searching for some detailed docs) it should boot with permissive/disabled (edit: saw some posts with people trying to boot LP with disabled SELinux, didn't end well - didn't boot at all, so I wouldn't recommend that at all), but there can be issues - chances for everything are 50:50. Keep in mind that our device is also sometimes shady as that neighbor's cat looking at you through the bathroom window.

I know someone had display problems with latest Bliss and permissive mode set on start, just imagine what can go wrong if something like that happens on boot process... There are a lot of security issues connected to permissible SELinux mode (that IS my primary concern) and I'd really avoid running rooted mini-computer with enough processing power and probably storing a lot of personal data, with access to the internet, location etc. without root password (as last level of root access protection) and additional layer of protection if I can. And yes, not every user is sane enough to watch what he's doing with his device, I'd rather avoid getting frustrated users, uninformed about the risks, who post a million and one "something blew my phone up because of this kernel" posts.

Last edited:

~KV

Feb 7, 2015
Would this kernel significantly increase my battery life on CM12 ????:confused:
Because battery life on CM12 is a nightmare...and that's all because of the kernel.....

Reactions: Eavas

zamajalo

Jun 22, 2014
Weird... I can't boot with this kernel. Flashed it on the latest nightly with Philz and then TWRP; won't boot, just boots to recovery instead. Am I missing something?

Flash "Zero_misc...". It's in one of my posts... It'll take you out of your pain...

Does that happen only with Cyanogen? You may really eant to try with other roms or keep an older version flashed until new release is out.

Would this kernel significantly increase my battery life on CM12 ????:confused:
Because battery life on CM12 is a nightmare...and that's all because of the kernel.....

You may want to try with BBS first or a wakelock blocker. It seems that there are some problems in connection with recent changes to CM, also there is a possibility GAPPS are making you problems, services v7.0xx are good example of that.

Sent from my Optimus G Pro.

~KV

Feb 7, 2015
Does that happen only with Cyanogen? You may really eant to try with other roms or keep an older version flashed until new release is out.

You may want to try with BBS first or a wakelock blocker. It seems that there are some problems in connection with recent changes to CM, also there is a possibility GAPPS are making you problems, services v7.0xx are good example of that.

My SOT is also very bad.....battery drains very fast not only when screen is off but also when using....

Reactions: Eavas

mpsantiago

Got it already.. Started preparing everything (repo, branches, etc) but when trying to upload everything, it pauses after I enter password.. Dunno why...

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

I'll upload a flashable in a moment...

I can also provide one to flash directly with flashify...

EDIT:

TESTED--> boot.img to flash it with flashify.

NOT TESTED--> E980Kernel+V0.8.1_new.zip Flashable Zip.

If you get stuck on recovery flash THIS to get back on track. Chill, it won't erase anything.

Must work on E980 with nightly 02/09 and beyond. I used Philz recovery it has the patch. If you run on any trouble just ask.
*REMEMBER, credit goes to @Snepsts for making it possible. I'm just a contributor.

Flash "Zero_misc...". It's in one of my posts... It'll take you out of your pain...

Thanks man, I mq'd it so it'll be on this page also :)

Should I be flashing the 0.8.1 from your post or the 0.7.x from the OP?

Snepsts

Apr 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO

What did you change on the zero_misc? Binary/script?
I'm having FC issues on one of the nightlies when I flash old-ish files (Xposed, kernel, mack's modem) only thing I could flash was the newer PA Gapps when the Nightly came out. I've been on it for a few weeks now I think. Hmmm.
Thanks in advance!

zborn

Nov 16, 2009
OnePlus 9
What did you change on the zero_misc? Binary/script?
I'm having FC issues on one of the nightlies when I flash old-ish files (Xposed, kernel, mack's modem) only thing I could flash was the newer PA Gapps when the Nightly came out. I've been on it for a few weeks now I think. Hmmm.
Thanks in advance!
No changes at all. That's the same zip file that is around XDA. In the latest nightlies i haven't had to flash the "zero_miscx file, it just boots, and I've been flashing the same 0.8.1_0213 kernel flashable zip that i posted here...

Also, for those people having issues with wakelocks on latest nightlies lately, the problem is not CM12, its a problem with " Google Play Services" having a service on 7.0.92 and 7.0.93 versions. What i did was download "My Android Tools" from Play Store. Go to "Broadcast Receiver", select Google Play Services in System Apps and disable "SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver". You should have deep sleep again.

t3chwizard

Jul 20, 2013
Asus Transformer TF300T
LG Optimus G Pro
To add to Snepsts post:

I was reading about SELinux on android developer pages, so I think it would be pretty much better (and safer) for us to add rules (I'll try that by myself, because I'm sick of running permissive because of one app, I just need some free time), than to just simply disable SELinux or set it as permissible - that solution is like running away from problem and pushing it under the carpet. Still not sure about booting issues (I'll do a bit more of research about that, I'm searching for some detailed docs) it should boot with permissive/disabled (edit: saw some posts with people trying to boot LP with disabled SELinux, didn't end well - didn't boot at all, so I wouldn't recommend that at all), but there can be issues - chances for everything are 50:50. Keep in mind that our device is also sometimes shady as that neighbor's cat looking at you through the bathroom window.

I know someone had display problems with latest Bliss and permissive mode set on start, just imagine what can go wrong if something like that happens on boot process... There are a lot of security issues connected to permissible SELinux mode (that IS my primary concern) and I'd really avoid running rooted mini-computer with enough processing power and probably storing a lot of personal data, with access to the internet, location etc. without root password (as last level of root access protection) and additional layer of protection if I can. And yes, not every user is sane enough to watch what he's doing with his device, I'd rather avoid getting frustrated users, uninformed about the risks, who post a million and one "something blew my phone up because of this kernel" posts.

Please do not put down any ideas for the kernel. @Snepsts said if he did this he could make 2 versions for the kernel (one that has the modifications and one that does not) this way everyone is happy. By saying not to do this you are just limiting the potential of the development of this kernel. I personally disagree with you and I'm sure many others will share my opinion as many others share yours as well. Why not make everyone happy and have the 2 versions? What harm will it do? We claim full responsibility for our actions when flashing kernels or ROMs, so what we do with our devices is for us to decide, not you.

zamajalo

Jun 22, 2014
Please do not put down any ideas for the kernel. @Snepsts said if he did this he could make 2 versions for the kernel (one that has the modifications and one that does not) this way everyone is happy. By saying not to do this you are just limiting the potential of the development of this kernel. I personally disagree with you and I'm sure many others will share my opinion as many others share yours as well. Why not make everyone happy and have the 2 versions? What harm will it do? We claim full responsibility for our actions when flashing kernels or ROMs, so what we do with our devices is for us to decide, not you.

I haven't say "don't make it", I'm just telling you the risks and prob. the right way of doing stuff, not pushing ideas down the stairs.

If he can make that and if your devices work without any problems, cool. I'm totally ok with that and I can't stop you from using it and I'm not even thinking about doing that.

Reactions: ricco333

mpsantiago

So, despite good battery life during actual use, I noticed more idle drain than usual yesterday. I've been updating CM nightly. Checked WLD and CPUSpy, looks like I'm no longer going into deep sleep (0%). Battery stats showed "Cell Standby" as my highest offender and WLD showed "Phone" with an insane amount of wakelocks. Rebooting and playing with settings didn't fix it.

Finally, I re-flashed the last nightly (12-20150317) and did not flash this kernel... BAM, instant deep sleep. Phone wakes are back down to normal and "Cell Standby" is back down below "Screen" & "Play Services" in usage like it should be. Something has changed in CM12 preventing this kernel from working properly for me. Can anybody else confirm this?

FWIW I'm on Madmack's BM9615A modem and version 0.8.1 of this kernel.

airja

May 29, 2014
I hope I am able to deliver a kernel to you. By the way, what is the difference between F240 and E980/E988? I know E988 is international. Is F240 Viet or something? And what are hardware differences?
There really is no difference you can switch 980 to f240. You can just about apply the same Roms on both it's just the way you do it. F240 has radio. E988 is a benchmark beast.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E980 Kernel+

***I am not responsible for you bricking your device or causing any other unwanted outcomes to your device. Be careful and smart. If you don't know what you're doing you probably shouldn't be flashing this.***

This is the E980 Kernel+
    The end goal here is to have a kernel with more features and potentially much better battery life. I can only guarantee it will work on E980, not sure if it will work on other devices. I also do not know what ROMs it will work on. That is up to you to share. Rule of thumb is, if it's CyanogenMod, it'll work.

Suported Devices:
    E980
    E988

***If you are interested in building your ROM with my kernel, you have my permission to do so. However, if you could just let me know, that'd be nice. Also a credit would be appreciated but is not necessary either.***
    DOWNLOAD
    [11/12/14]: E980Kernel+V0.7.3.4: http://goo.gl/yMqgrP
    [11/12/14]: E980Kernel+V0.7.3.3: http://goo.gl/eUfbQY
    [10/11/14] E980Kernel+V0.6: http://goo.gl/XvQg7Z
    [9/29/14] E980Kernel+V0.5: http://goo.gl/tJ9JGs
    [9/23/14] E980Kernel+V0.4: http://goo.gl/cxphLB
    [9/15/14] E980Kernel+V0.3.1: http://goo.gl/vtmnRR
    Original Kernel: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhkPfIzMhriQ0pqdGN0TnFDb2c/edit?usp=sharing

CHANGES
    [11/12/14] V0.7.3.4:
    Removed Undervolting
    Removed GPU Tweaks
    No more (or at least a lot less) random reboots :)
    [11/12/14] V0.7.3.3:
    Added Intelli-Plug V3.8
    Added Intelli-Thermal
    Added Undervolting
    Tweaked GPU a little (more to come later)
    Updated Intellidemand to V5
    ***If you are experiencing reboots upon setting CPU governors, set the voltage higher on your CPU thru Trickster or similar Kernel Settings App!***
    [10/11/14] V0.6:
    Compiled with Linaro (Should notice some minor performance improvements)
    Other minor changes
    [9/29/14] V0.5:
    Added I/O Schedulers:
    SIO, VR, Zen
    Fixed Faux
    Updated Faux Drivers to V3
    [9/23/14] V0.4:
    Removed Governors:
    SmartassV2, Hyper (Only in config, they are still in source)
    Added Faux Sound Controls (Thanks to Faux123 for his work)
    Updated to CM11 Nightly 9/23/14 boot.img
    [9/15/14] V0.3.1:
    Added Governors
    Dancedance, Intellidemand, SmartassV2, Hyper. (Hyper seems to be buggy, same with SmartassV2)
    Added TCP Congestion Control
    Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, Htcp, Vegas, Veno, Scalable, Lp, Yeah, Illinois.

Flashing Instructions:
    Make sure you use Mack's TWRP or Gummy CWM.
    Flash a supported ROM
    Flash E980 Kernel+
    Wipe Cache & Dalvik
    I highly suggest you are rooted and busybox'd.

Note: If flashing fails and you are on a CM11 ROM, you may want to try flashing original kernel or earlier version before reflashing your ROM or clean installing.

To-Do List:
    -Faux Sound - Done.
    -Governors/IO schedulers - Done.
    -More TCP congestion controllers - Done.
    -Replacement for Qualcomm's MP-Decision (Intelli-Plug) - Done.
    -Support for actual GPU underclocking (Maybe save battery since it always runs at top freq when it doesn't have to.) - In the works.
    -Support for undervolting - Removed for now.
    -Lower clock speeds than 384 MHz
    -Higher clock speeds than 1728 MHz
    -Intelli-Thermal - Done.
    -Fast Charge - Soon.
    -Battery Life eXtender - Soon.
    -Knock On/DT2W (May not add due to battery drain issue that comes with)
    -Keyboard USB support
    -Linaro Performance Toolchain - Done.
    -Support for F240 - In the works.
    -Anything else?

***Make note I do not know if I can implement all of these but I will try my best***

Source: https://github.com/Snepsts/kernel_e980
    Toolchain: https://github.com/Snepsts/linaro4.7gcc

HOW TO BUILD​
    At this point if anybody wants to try out the kernel before I make releases, you are free to compile it yourself. I would like to ask that you do not share compilations just because I like to track how many people download and use the kernel through my goo.gl links and the afh download counter. I don't like it when people rehost my kernel since it gives me misguided numbers on how many people are following my work. It's just personal though, I'm not going to stop you. I just like it because it gives me an idea of how many people are using my work and kind of makes me want to keep working on it since I know how many people still use it. :)
    Anyways, I'll leave instructions to compile right here:
    This is assuming you're using a Linux distro (VM or not, has to be 64-bit) Pretty much everybody recommends Ubuntu, and that's fine, but if you want my suggestion Mint runs like a dream. Anyways to building!
    You'll need to get the required packages. I forget these off the top of my head, but they're something like this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -y build-essential kernel-package libncurses5-dev bzip2 abootimg
    There might be more, idk. This should get you through the build. Let me know if there's anything else.
    Next we'll make a directory and grab the sources.
    Go to your main directory to store the android folder in (for tidiness sake), if you have a preference you can do this differently. If you're not sure what you're doing here, just go from where you are (should be your main dir):
    Code:
    mkdir android
    cd ~/android
    git clone https://github.com/Snepsts/kernel_e980.git
    This might take a while... when it's done you should have a folder called "kernel_e980" in your android directory.
    While we're downloading, go get the latest M build or the latest nightly of CyanogenMod: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=e980
    This will be useful later.
    Now we go grab a toolchain. My favorite is this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?x7lgbeprpg8gn choose the cortex A-15 one. Untar it and move the folder wherever you like. I suggest the android folder to follow the rest of the guide.
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    tar -xvf arm-cortex_a15-linux-gnueabihf-linaro_4.7.4-2014.06-build_2014_09_13.tar.xz
    Now move this folder through the GUI (Graphical User Interface), much easier than more commands imo.
    Now rename the folder toolchain, just because it's easier.
    Now we're ready to build. The username is whatever your Linux username is.
    Code:
    cd ~/android/kernel_e980
    export ARCH=arm
    export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/username/android/toolchain/bin/arm-cortex_A15-linux-gnueabihf-
    make cyanogenmod_e980_defconfig
    All ready to go :)
    One last thing, before you make it, if you are a little more advanced and need to toggle something or do anything else, use:
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    You probably don't need that.
    The # means the amount of cores in your computer's processor +1. For example, my Linux virtual machine has 4 cores allocated to it, so I assign it -j5. Now to make the kernel:
    Code:
    make -j#
    And watch the words flyyyyy.
    If anything fails, double check you didn't mess up. Also, the current Github build is never guaranteed to succeed.
    Once the build is completed, you should see something like:
    zImage is created!
    Or something. Now go to your Downloads and get the boot.img out of the CyanogenMod build whatever way you wish to.
    We'll leave it in the Downloads folder for the sake of the guide:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    abootimg -x boot.img
    Now you should have a zImage, intrid.img, and a bootimg.cfg. Ignore the zImage, move the intrid.img and bootimg.cfg to the ~/android/kernel_e980/arch/arm/boot folder.
    Now we finish the kernel:
    Code:
    cd ~/android/kernel_e980/arch/arm/boot
    abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r intrid.img
    Done! Your kernel will be the boot.img file.
    Replace a current kernel.zip's boot.img with this one, you can use any of the E980Kernel+ .zip folders for this. Just remove the boot.img in that one then put yours in it. I always upload my kernel to Gdrive and then download it to my phone to flash. But whatever you wanna do from here is fine.
    And now you have the latest version of E980Kernel+ Unofficial. Yay you!

XDA:DevDB Information
    E980 Kernel+, Kernel for the LG Optimus G Pro

Contributors
    Snepsts
    Source Code: https://github.com/Snepsts/kernel_e980

Kernel Special Features: Faux Sound, CPU Governors, TCP Congestion Controllers, I/O Schedulers, Intelli-Plug/Intelli-Thermal

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: V0.7.3.4
    Stable Release Date: 2014-11-12
    Current Beta Version: V0.8.1 TEST
    Beta Release Date: 2015-1-12

Created 2014-10-19
    Last Updated 2015-1-12
    Also, here is a CM12 Kernel that is on par with the features of the CM11 Kernel. Please test it and tell me if it works fine. It actually compiled right away after I applied all of my CM11 Kernel patches!!! Surprising indeed...
    Okay everybody, I have made a decision that I'm not sure how I feel about.
    So instead of porting over features from our AOSP kernel (I nearly had intelliplug, uv, oc, and uc), I have decided to port over all of faux kernel's fixes, modifications, and features. Since the Nexus 4 is very similar to our device, I do not consider this impossible, since it is a similar phone. The main reason for this is I do not have enough experience (nor patience) to port feature by feature since there are so many gosh darn things I need to add to get a feature to work. This way, I will have all the defined functions I need and we will have tons of Snapdragon 600 optimized additions. :)
    Also, looking through commits, I noticed some things about MAC addresses? That is good news.
    So anyways, once that's done, F240 port is next, then maybe a stock kernel, along with USB keyboard.

Long story short: I hope you all have good practice in patience (well I guess we all have to have it, I mean we've been without a good kernel for a long long time). This will take quite a while. However, the payoff will be great, and once this is done I think it will be the full kernel version. Hopefully, it'll be as stable as the faux kernel for N4.
    Wish me luck friends, and thanks for waiting :)
    Alright, here we are. Goodies you need to test are:
    -Simple GPU Gov
    -Voltage Table
    -Fastcharge
    -Take a look at the CPU stats and tell me if they're more accurate.
    -Stability, of course!
    Lemme know if all works :)
    Update! -Hopefully a pleasant surprise :)
    I've been itching to do some good kernel work for a whole week. After a long day, I decided to call in sick tomorrow and get a solid day of kernel work in today. Needless to say, it was a great day. :)
    Faux is on there from what I've seen, I have yet to test it. I'm very tired and have a lot of work to do. Please let me know of any bugs you see.
    The next kernel might not have any real features, but instead I will attempt to actually compile it with a linaro toolchain. Supposedly linaro gives some very nice performance improvements and such. My only concern is the kernel may be a little unstable afterwards. Otherwise. Please enjoy the kernel, sorry for the wait and the false statement of waiting until Saturday for a kernel.
    Also, I am now using Android File Host, if you haven't noticed. Please let me know if it works fine, both desktop and mobile downloads! Thank you.
    P.S: The V0.3.1 kernel hit 150 downloads :) Looks like I've got a bit of a following, eh?