No registration required

[Q] Sprint - Blank Screen with occassional solid wihite flashes

OP xtraspecialj

27th August 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
LG-LS970 Sprint Unrooted Stock Optimus G
Hoping you all can help. My kid stepped on the back of my wife's phone (her fault for having it on the floor if you ask me...) and it caused a pressure crack across the back glass but left the front screen untouched. However, when we turn it on you hear the little touch sounds it makes but the screen only slowly flashes to a solid white and then slowly fades. So the digitizer seems to work just fine but the LCD does not(?) As stated, the phone responds to touch, makes notification sounds when called/texted/emailed, etc... However the screen will not come back on.

** I've attached a (admittedly bad quality) picture of the solid white screen in case that helps for some unknown reason... **

I am fairly certain I can order a new LCD and replace it for a quite low price, however it looks like a lot more trouble than its worth and she has a replacement phone already. My question is I'd like to sell this phone to a couple vendors I've found on Craigslist that are interested, but I need to be able to wipe it completely (she doesn't have any nudy pics, however there is some sensitive financial info in the emails and texts that can probably be accessed on the phone, although she can probably just change her gmail password to block them from accessing here email, but I'm not sure what may be cached on the phone.)

Its never been rooted, but I wasn't sure if there was an all USB way (adb shell maybe?) I can use to at least wipe this phone or some other alternate method of getting the screen info viewed so I can perform a wipe? If there is a solution I could implement today, that would be ideal.

Thanks, and let me know if you need any additional info!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LG_L970_Solid_White_Screen_Scaled_43.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (76.0 KB, 16 views)
27th August 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 228

679 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraspecialj

LG-LS970 Sprint Unrooted Stock Optimus G
Hoping you all can help. My kid stepped on the back of my wife's phone (her fault for having it on the floor if you ask me...) and it caused a pressure crack across the back glass but left the front screen untouched. However, when we turn it on you hear the little touch sounds it makes but the screen only slowly flashes to a solid white and then slowly fades. So the digitizer seems to work just fine but the LCD does not(?) As stated, the phone responds to touch, makes notification sounds when called/texted/emailed, etc... However the screen will not come back on.

** I've attached a (admittedly bad quality) picture of the solid white screen in case that helps for some unknown reason... **

I am fairly certain I can order a new LCD and replace it for a quite low price, however it looks like a lot more trouble than its worth and she has a replacement phone already. My question is I'd like to sell this phone to a couple vendors I've found on Craigslist that are interested, but I need to be able to wipe it completely (she doesn't have any nudy pics, however there is some sensitive financial info in the emails and texts that can probably be accessed on the phone, although she can probably just change her gmail password to block them from accessing here email, but I'm not sure what may be cached on the phone.)

Its never been rooted, but I wasn't sure if there was an all USB way (adb shell maybe?) I can use to at least wipe this phone or some other alternate method of getting the screen info viewed so I can perform a wipe? If there is a solution I could implement today, that would be ideal.

Thanks, and let me know if you need any additional info!

If you can get into fastboot then you should be able to wipe the phone. I know the G has internal storage but there should be a command to wipe that as well.

Do a search for "ADB factory reset."

To get into fastboot or download mode requires only volume and power key presses but I am unsure at the moment which does which.
29th August 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,494

2,893 posts
More
I know that when powered off, the button combo to get to the screen where you want to pick where to boot to is volume up and power. And then for me it is two clicks down to recovery. Don't know how many it is for boot loader though.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Free mobile app
29th August 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 228

679 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashh

I know that when powered off, the button combo to get to the screen where you want to pick where to boot to is volume up and power. And then for me it is two clicks down to recovery. Don't know how many it is for boot loader though.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Free mobile app

One of the button combos goes into download mode. Check the Softbrick fix thread and I know it says there.

This thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2230106

Here:

Download = Hold Volume up + down + power while plugging the USB cable into the phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread