Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How to get info off phone with broken screen?

OP VDub2625

29th August 2014, 12:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

65 posts
Hey all,

I am searching furiously but I thought it might be a good idea to ask directly too.

So i smashed my phone today. Touch does not work, but I can see it. I think getting a replacement won't be difficult, but until then, I have files both in storage and app data that I would like to recover. Since I have TWRP, the recovery is touch and I can't access anything in it. I cant unlock the phone, so I can't get stuff off of the storage either. I think Droid Explorer can help with that, but do I need USB debugging? I am pretty sure I turned it off for some stupid reason. How could I use ADB to extract the app data files?

Thanks! I'll keep on searching and post an answer if I find one!
29th August 2014, 07:10 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,489

2,854 posts
More
Try booting into download/bootloader mode or whatever it is called (sorry, I have had so many brands of android. They all call it something different.) And try flashing a clockworkmod based recovery. Then you can use the buttons to navigate the the storage / access ADB through recovery.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd September 2014, 06:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

65 posts
Thank you for the help. I do already have a recovery on it, TeamWin whatever-it-is 2.6.3, it's touch based
The Following User Says Thank You to VDub2625 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,489

2,854 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDub2625

Thank you for the help. I do already have a recovery on it, TeamWin whatever-it-is 2.6.3, it's touch based

You can still flash over that, if you can get into download mode, then replace it with CWM. No screen needed.

6th September 2014, 04:39 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashh

You can still flash over that, if you can get into download mode, then replace it with CWM. No screen needed.

Duh! I feel stupid. I didn't think of that.

I don't think I'm familiar with the recovery via download mode? I have done a lot with the phone but can't recall if I've used download mode for that (just for installing BINs). I'll look around, thanks!
8th September 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDub2625

Duh! I feel stupid. I didn't think of that.

I don't think I'm familiar with the recovery via download mode? I have done a lot with the phone but can't recall if I've used download mode for that (just for installing BINs). I'll look around, thanks!

In case anyone's curious, I got confused myself. it isn't Download Mode you need, it's fastboot. Then use the fastboot program in the Android SDK to flash a non-touch CWM. Thanks again for the advice!

PS I can't seem to egt Droid Explorer to work (it installs, I tell it where the sdk folder is, but then when i run it it says it can't find it). I'm going to try to update my sdk and see if that helps, but I should be able to use ADB to transfer too, i think? How would I save data from the "data" partition 9app data vs. storage data)?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread