Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,673 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to get info off phone with broken screen?

Tip us?

VDub2625
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Unhappy How to get info off phone with broken screen?

Hey all,

I am searching furiously but I thought it might be a good idea to ask directly too.

So i smashed my phone today. Touch does not work, but I can see it. I think getting a replacement won't be difficult, but until then, I have files both in storage and app data that I would like to recover. Since I have TWRP, the recovery is touch and I can't access anything in it. I cant unlock the phone, so I can't get stuff off of the storage either. I think Droid Explorer can help with that, but do I need USB debugging? I am pretty sure I turned it off for some stupid reason. How could I use ADB to extract the app data files?

Thanks! I'll keep on searching and post an answer if I find one!

Whiplashh
Old
Thanks Meter 1,467
Try booting into download/bootloader mode or whatever it is called (sorry, I have had so many brands of android. They all call it something different.) And try flashing a clockworkmod based recovery. Then you can use the buttons to navigate the the storage / access ADB through recovery.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Free mobile app
Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7

VDub2625
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you for the help. I do already have a recovery on it, TeamWin whatever-it-is 2.6.3, it's touch based
The Following User Says Thank You to VDub2625 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whiplashh
Old
Thanks Meter 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
Thank you for the help. I do already have a recovery on it, TeamWin whatever-it-is 2.6.3, it's touch based
You can still flash over that, if you can get into download mode, then replace it with CWM. No screen needed.

Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7

VDub2625
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashh View Post
You can still flash over that, if you can get into download mode, then replace it with CWM. No screen needed.

Duh! I feel stupid. I didn't think of that.

I don't think I'm familiar with the recovery via download mode? I have done a lot with the phone but can't recall if I've used download mode for that (just for installing BINs). I'll look around, thanks!

VDub2625
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
Duh! I feel stupid. I didn't think of that.

I don't think I'm familiar with the recovery via download mode? I have done a lot with the phone but can't recall if I've used download mode for that (just for installing BINs). I'll look around, thanks!
In case anyone's curious, I got confused myself. it isn't Download Mode you need, it's fastboot. Then use the fastboot program in the Android SDK to flash a non-touch CWM. Thanks again for the advice!

PS I can't seem to egt Droid Explorer to work (it installs, I tell it where the sdk folder is, but then when i run it it says it can't find it). I'm going to try to update my sdk and see if that helps, but I should be able to use ADB to transfer too, i think? How would I save data from the "data" partition 9app data vs. storage data)?