OP borchaniz

23rd July 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sfax
Thanks Meter: 131

502 posts
More
Hey guys
I believe that it's time to end my p500 life and move for another device! And i have a question that I asked many times in many threads on xda but I had no answer. I hope you guys can help me. So, the question is : does rooting, factory reset, installing custom ROMs lock back an unlocked phone. I mean if I unlock my phone using code and then root it etc.. Will it be locked again?

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Free mobile app
26th July 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borchaniz

Hey guys
I believe that it's time to end my p500 life and move for another device! And i have a question that I asked many times in many threads on xda but I had no answer. I hope you guys can help me. So, the question is : does rooting, factory reset, installing custom ROMs lock back an unlocked phone. I mean if I unlock my phone using code and then root it etc.. Will it be locked again?

I have not tried myself, because I never had to do this stuff. But I think, rooting has nothing to do with sim lock/unlock, its just about adding a su binary to your phone. However, factory reset and custom ROM might lock it back. But i dont think you need to worry about it, because you can again unlock it using the same code method.
Last edited by msilwal322; 26th July 2014 at 06:39 PM.
26th July 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sfax
Thanks Meter: 131

502 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by msilwal322

I have not tried myself, because I never had to do this stuff. But I think, rooting has nothing to do with sim lock/unlock, its just about adding a su binary to your phone. However, factory reset and custom ROM might lock it back. But i dont think you need to worry about it, because you can again unlock it using the same code method.

It isn't possible to use unlock code on custom ROMs

27th July 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Quote:

It isn't possible to use unlock code on custom ROMs

Sorry, for my lack of information. I told you that I dont have the experience myself. But according to this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...04&postcount=7 you dont have to worry about unlocking again, once you unlock the phone in stock ROM, because it will remain unlocked even after flashing custom ROMs
27th July 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Knoxville, TN
Thanks Meter: 2,895

2,776 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hey guys

The P500 doesn't have a locked bootloader like the newer Optimus devices, however it does have a carrier lock. Once any device is unlocked from a specific carrier the device remains unlocked no matter what ROM gets flashed to the device. You could flash CM or AOKP and then back to stock if you wanted and the carrier lock would remain unlocked. All the carrier lock does it tie that device to a specific service provider ( AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. ). Once unlocked, since the P500 is a GSM device I believe, then that device can be used with any service provider that also utilizes a GSM network.

The reason carrier unlocking must be done from a stock ROM is the fact that any custom ROM won't have access to the devices hidden menu. The hidden menu can only be accessed thru the stock dialer app on a stock ROM. And the carrier unlock procedure is done via the LG hidden menu.
Last edited by shinobisoft; 27th July 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread