Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 39,580 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Lil Chupacabra" update...wth?

Tip us?

Ipse_Tase
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default "Lil Chupacabra" update...wth?

Whether you want it our not, if you're still on stock you WILL be getting this weird update, more geared towards developers than users. But then again,. this is Ouya, so nothing new.
No visible benefits (but annoying menu changes) and a very funky "changelog". https://www.ouya.tv/chupacabra_mini_update/

Boy...do I ever regret being so naive to think this would be a real Android device with real original development.
Note 3 4.4.2 Stock, not by choice
Ouya Stock, rooted >>>> replaced by AFTV, you guessed: stock
Kobo Arc10HD 4.2.2 Stock, rooted...can you say I am...STOCKED?

ajb999
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipse_Tase View Post
Whether you want it our not, if you're still on stock you WILL be getting this weird update, more geared towards developers than users. But then again,. this is Ouya, so nothing new.
No visible benefits (but annoying menu changes) and a very funky "changelog". https://www.ouya.tv/chupacabra_mini_update/

Boy...do I ever regret being so naive to think this would be a real Android device with real original development.
Personally I'm happy with the update. It might not be a huge update but there's some nice changes. The fact that they're reaching out to devs will benefit the user in the long term with more games so I see that as a plus also.

I'm curious what you mean by a real android device with real original development.

AA27
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Would this update change the settings that we had before? Like root and all the sideloaded apps?

ajb999
Old
(Last edited by ajb999; 7th August 2014 at 06:50 AM.) Reason: added info
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA27 View Post
Would this update change the settings that we had before? Like root and all the sideloaded apps?

You lose root. If you used the one click root method the app will still be on your OUYA and root is just a couple clicks away. All settings are saved. If you had the play store then you will have to open the xposed app and install the framework again, don't update, reboot and should be good.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or need help. One of my ouyas didn't like the new update at first but was easily fixed wirh latest update and all settings saved.

epinephrin3
Old
(Last edited by epinephrin3; 7th August 2014 at 09:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipse_Tase View Post

I don't see how being able to sideload apps easier than ever before is no visual benefits...

lscheres
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I save my Generic.kl file to help with updates. Just update, tell CWM to disable recovery flash, reroot, and paste my generic.kl file back into system, then restart and im golden. Takes about 5 minutes tops to do all this, no that big of deal, the GF can do it from me guiding here over the phone, easy as pie. I tried CM11 and the enhanced rom but didnt like the issues and random kinks so i stuck with the stock rom. I like some of the ouya games and only use it for xbmc beside the occasional party game I use to use nova launcher so that way everyone knew how to use it even if they never have before since it was like stock android, now i just use the normal ouya launcher. The upload APKS thing makes no difference to me, i just copy the apk link and paste it into the apk downloader site the download the apk right onto the ouya. install it with file manager. I also favorite all my frequent apps so theyre in the play menu instead of the make menu.
The Following User Says Thank You to lscheres For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ipse_Tase
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscheres View Post
I save my Generic.kl file to help with updates. Just update, tell CWM to disable recovery flash, reroot, and paste my generic.kl file back into system, then restart and im golden..
Good idea, thanks for the tip re generic.kl.
Note 3 4.4.2 Stock, not by choice
Ouya Stock, rooted >>>> replaced by AFTV, you guessed: stock
Kobo Arc10HD 4.2.2 Stock, rooted...can you say I am...STOCKED?