Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 41,578 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Looking for an XBMC streaming Box. OUYA or Fire TV?

Tip us?

stanleyopar2000
Old
(Last edited by stanleyopar2000; 1st September 2014 at 08:18 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Angry [Q] Looking for an XBMC streaming Box. OUYA or Fire TV?

I found out, of the amazing power of XBMC and I found out it's been ported to multiple platforms such as Android, OUYA and recently the Fire TV. I want a box that I can use XBMC on my TV to use apps for streaming like (identities of apps have been changed) SmashDown, FireFilms,MovieY2K, SportsDemon (LIVE Streaming) and that one that has XBMC in the name that you can use for torrents and more.

My question is...if I want to use this box for internet streaming and such..which would be the best?

what's your thoughts about XBMC on OUYA? I only want an OUYA for XBMC and sideloading apk's. Also, OUYA doesn't mind rooting....right..? Which begs the question of the Fire TV. IF I bought a Fire TV would it come with the unrootable update? (I don't want a Fire TV if I can't root it)

Which one would be more powerful in streaming? or are they equally matched? any lag or incompatibilities?

any feedback would be appreciated

stanleyopar2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
bump? I'm going to do this just once....the Fire TV community has been active in giving me advice but nothing from OUYA?... = /

ajb999
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyopar2000 View Post
bump? I'm going to do this just once....the Fire TV community has been active in giving me advice but nothing from OUYA?... = /
Ouyaforum.com is much more active than here. Personally I use sideloaded spmc and have no problems streaming from the internet, network drives, or either computer. Works great for me. There's a one click app for rooting. Usually it has to be clicked twice but works great as well as being able to add the play store very easily. Also amazon appstore.

With the last update OUYA added the ability to connect to your OUYA with a computer wirelessly and install apks with drag and drop. Personally I use es file explorer with a browsable Google drive to transfer files from any device to my OUYA.

stanleyopar2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb999 View Post
Ouyaforum.com is much more active than here. Personally I use sideloaded spmc and have no problems streaming from the internet, network drives, or either computer. Works great for me. There's a one click app for rooting. Usually it has to be clicked twice but works great as well as being able to add the play store very easily. Also amazon appstore.

With the last update OUYA added the ability to connect to your OUYA with a computer wirelessly and install apks with drag and drop. Personally I use es file explorer with a browsable Google drive to transfer files from any device to my OUYA.
What about XBMC usage?.. Can it do live streams or PVR?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

SpiKeTheOne
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ouya works good with XBMC. You might want to also look at the mad catz M.O.J.O

stanleyopar2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiKeTheOne View Post
Ouya works good with XBMC. You might want to also look at the mad catz M.O.J.O
XBMC was not made for it though

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

SpiKeTheOne
Old
Thanks Meter 0
From what info that's online its standard android OS and that runs XBMC no problem. I was running XBMC on an android stick (imoto) and it ran well.