Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 51,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Accessory wished for, tether cable.

Tip us?

treojoew
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Lightbulb Accessory wished for, tether cable.

I have always had my phones in protective cases and screen protectors on the glass. Since currently, and probably never, will there be a case that will allow the phone to dock with the station (awkward folio case excluded) I feel like every day is a gamble walking around with my Padfone X naked just so I can easily slip it into the station whenever I want to. I have a wish.
I would love to see a tether cable that we could plug into the station and the phone. We could wrap the phone up in Otterboxes run the cable from our bag or pocket or nightstand to the station in our hands! Doesn't that sound wonderful?
C'mon EE's and hardware hackers (maybe ASUS product dev too), is this possible?

teeth_03
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by treojoew View Post
I have always had my phones in protective cases and screen protectors on the glass. Since currently, and probably never, will there be a case that will allow the phone to dock with the station (awkward folio case excluded) I feel like every day is a gamble walking around with my Padfone X naked just so I can easily slip it into the station whenever I want to. I have a wish.
I would love to see a tether cable that we could plug into the station and the phone. We could wrap the phone up in Otterboxes run the cable from our bag or pocket or nightstand to the station in our hands! Doesn't that sound wonderful?
C'mon EE's and hardware hackers (maybe ASUS product dev too), is this possible?
To be blunt, this sounds like a fugly idea, if you make JUST a cable to connect the 2. How are you going to hold both? If there was some kind of weird contraption that mounts an otter box to the station, it would add way too much weight and bulk.

In short, the Padfone X is for people who are ok using their devices naked, because any other way is just too awkward for an already partially awkward device.

The only way your idea would be useful would if you had the keyboard and you kept it and the station sitting on your desk and you came in to home/work and docked your phone to it. But that seems like a waste for sure.

treojoew
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
No way jose. Think about it; nice light station in your hand with a cable running off to your end table where the phone sits, or, into your backpack beside you or at your feet. Easy peasy.

teeth_03
Old
Thanks Meter 26
To each his own I guess. Have you tried just using a micro USB extension cable?

ghost0001
Old
Thanks Meter 5
How about a case that works for both. A case for the phone and a second for the pad that accommodates the phone with a cable and it's own slot.

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using XDA Free mobile app