Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,668 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T will not unlock my device even though it's LAW!

Tip us?

bullitt007
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] AT&T will not unlock my device even though it's LAW!

I'm not an at&t customer. I purchased a Padfone X off of Amazon.com LLC for the non contract price of $584.69. I was suprised to find the device locked even though I bought the phone outright. After waiting for the President to sign into law the Unlocking Consumer Choice & Wireless Competition Act on August 1, 2014, I called today to have my device unlocked, only to be quoted their previous requirements on having a device unlocked. The people I talked to hadn't even heard of the Unlocking Consumer Choice & Wireless Competition Act and actually argued that a bill doesn't necessarily become law right after the President signs it ?? I'm not even American and I know this!
Anyone have any luck unlocking their device since the Bill was signed?

b22ri22an
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt007 View Post
I'm not an at&t customer. I purchased a Padfone X off of Amazon.com LLC for the non contract price of $584.69. I was suprised to find the device locked even though I bought the phone outright. After waiting for the President to sign into law the Unlocking Consumer Choice & Wireless Competition Act on August 1, 2014, I called today to have my device unlocked, only to be quoted their previous requirements on having a device unlocked. The people I talked to hadn't even heard of the Unlocking Consumer Choice & Wireless Competition Act and actually argued that a bill doesn't necessarily become law right after the President signs it ?? I'm not even American and I know this!
Anyone have any luck unlocking their device since the Bill was signed?
The bill doesn't require AT&T to unlock their handsets, what the bill does is allow you to legally unlock it yourself or pay to have a third party do it for you.
Tags
unlock, unlocking