Heat and data connectivity.

OP ghost0001

24th August 2014, 02:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Killeen
Thanks Meter: 5

150 posts
More
With current smart phones always running hotter than the older ones. It has come to my attention that when my Padfone X gets to about 140(ish) degrees F it starts to slow down the CPU in order to cool off. I have no problem with this, other than the fact that the phone starts to mess up my data connection. I can be on 4G LTE with four bars and it will fail to open a website or communicate my gaming on Ingress. Also, when I brought it back to my work, it was jittery and only had about a 50% success rate with pinging www.google.com.

I know electronics do not like heat, but this is kinda ridiculous. I rely on my data connection when I am out and about playing Ingress. Since I don't drive and operate my phone it stays in a phone cradle in my window. Thus it does get to temperatures above 140 easily. The Samsung Galaxy S4 never had heat issues at that temp, it would need to reach 160 before it tried to shut down. At 150 it starts its cool down operations (slower CPU, dimmer screen).

I guess what I am asking is this:
1. is there a way to adjust the threshold of the device to 145?

2. will that damage the unit?

I have noticed my LTE modem fry at temperatures exceeding 155. So I can see that this phone is a bit of a Nancy when it comes to heat. Other than strapping an ice pack to the back, I am at a loss of what to do here in Texas.
26th August 2014, 02:41 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 17

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost0001

With current smart phones always running hotter than the older ones. It has come to my attention that when my Padfone X gets to about 140(ish) degrees F it starts to slow down the CPU in order to cool off. I have no problem with this, other than the fact that the phone starts to mess up my data connection. I can be on 4G LTE with four bars and it will fail to open a website or communicate my gaming on Ingress. Also, when I brought it back to my work, it was jittery and only had about a 50% success rate with pinging www.google.com.

I know electronics do not like heat, but this is kinda ridiculous. I rely on my data connection when I am out and about playing Ingress. Since I don't drive and operate my phone it stays in a phone cradle in my window. Thus it does get to temperatures above 140 easily. The Samsung Galaxy S4 never had heat issues at that temp, it would need to reach 160 before it tried to shut down. At 150 it starts its cool down operations (slower CPU, dimmer screen).

I guess what I am asking is this:
1. is there a way to adjust the threshold of the device to 145?

2. will that damage the unit?

I have noticed my LTE modem fry at temperatures exceeding 155. So I can see that this phone is a bit of a Nancy when it comes to heat. Other than strapping an ice pack to the back, I am at a loss of what to do here in Texas.

Hello XDA Community,

I would like for anyone reporting any issues relating to heat and data to please contact me with details.

Are you using Wi-Fi, LTE, Streaming movies, Videos, Playing games, or using certain Applications?

Was your Padfone X docked when this happened?

Please provide your Serial Number.

I would like to gather as much information as possible and I cannot do it without this communities help.

Please email me at CL-Scott1@Asus.com, place case number N140842602 in the subject line along with your username.
Last edited by Scott@ASUS; 26th August 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread