Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

[Q]SDcard doesn't work

OP -Epix-

2nd July 2014, 01:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 2

145 posts
More
Android 4.4.2 on padfone x rooted. Even before root SDcard shows as there but doesn't install anything to. Uses on board storage. Any fix for this

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X
2nd July 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Epix-

Android 4.4.2 on padfone x rooted. Even before root SDcard shows as there but doesn't install anything to. Uses on board storage. Any fix for this

I think the problem is not so much a Padfone issue but a Kitkat one. Apparently Android no longer allows 3rd party apps to write to a SD card. They say this is for security reasons. Native apps seem to write just fine to a memory card. Here is an article explaining this:http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

There are workarounds. First search for SD card fix in Playstore. There are some apps that are supposed to fix this. I am not sure how well these work however. I think there are some custom roms that also deal with this.

I am going to try another method. I will save to the internal storage then, using the native file manager, transfer the files to the SD card. When I need to use those files transfer them back into internal storage. This method is a a bit cumbersome and may not work as well as I hope but I kind of understand the security concerns. I do not have a lot of storage needs and for the most part will just use internal storage but for those other times will try this method.
Last edited by rlridgeway; 2nd July 2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
2nd July 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 2

145 posts
More
Yeah sdcard fix. I'm testing now

31st July 2014, 07:30 PM   |  #4  
Flag Edinburgh
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Lightbulb format
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Epix-

Hi. Have you tried formatting your SD to exFat format?
I have been experiencing problem with 32 GB NTFS SD (all galleries stopped working, even internal storage was unable to reach). Luckily, exFat is working like a charm now
1st August 2014, 01:16 AM   |  #5  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 105

248 posts
More
Exfat does seem to be the new standard. From what I have read it is the only format that allows uhs-1 microsd cards to properly record video in HD and UHD.

For example I tried a 16gb class 4 card in my PFX formatted in fat32 and exfat . UHD recording was very corrupted on both formats. On my SanDisk ultra uhs-1 16GB, everything was smooth.

When you format any card in the PFX, it will format as exfat by default.

The PFX chipset is rated to handle the UHS class Micro SD cards and you do see a notable speed difference when transferring files.

Compare this to the galaxy note 3 which formats anything you throw at it into exfat and transfer speeds are horrible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread