FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Is there still going to be a Padfone S2?

267 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By EwanG, Senior Member on 7th March 2016, 07:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
In July, and again in December, there was a lot of news about a Padfone S2 update to be released with Marshmallow and the SD 820 in March. Given that it is March and there doesn't appear to be any news, is the S2 still on the way?

I really like the concept and form factor, and am halfway tempted to just buy a Padfone S for use on AT&T except my work requires it has at least Lollipop installed. Plus I suspect "my" cost would be cheaper through AT&T since I could put it on the monthly plan now, and then get it paid off at the end of the year.

Anyone know what the latest is?

8th March 2016, 03:25 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
It's still early in March but if it's on AT&T, I'd be hesitant to buy through them again after how badly they did the firmware the first time around. The S 1 was a good phone after I got the Padfone S firmware and unlocked it via the XDA site. I'd imagine it would be a while before someone would get it to that point for the S2.

But still, I hope AT&T has it because I may want it.... unfortunately my S1 is still going strong and is about to get Marshmallow, so I may just stick with my S1 for a little bit longer.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

But IF you get a Padfone X, you can unlock the bootloader and install Lollipop on it to make it a Padfone S. Just don't install root on it during the TWRP install of the ROM and MDM agents like Airwatch will still work with it (I actually have mine done this way).
8th March 2016, 03:29 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX
Thanks Meter: 31

Donate to Me
More
Unfortunately the work plan (which has the saving grace of "truly" unlimited data) is only AT&T. I'm thinking of the PadFone because if you ever use the device to tether the unlimited data drops to 5 gigs - and I do a fair bit of video conferencing. Have considered getting a USB-powered HDMI monitor to hook up to the same battery I use for recharging my phone, but the PadFone gets me almost as large a screen with a lot fewer pieces to lose/break/tangle.

Thanks for the info on your experience. Hopefully someone here might know a bit more on the future of the S2.
8th March 2016, 03:43 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 453

More
I doubt AT&T will sell the Padfone X2 (S2), seeing as how badly the Padfone X did for them (they dropped it after a few months, never put out a PFX LP update even though ASUS updated the PFS to LP, etc). If it did well, they probably would have also released the Padfone S+ (SD801, 3GB RAM, 64GB on-board, 4K video recording).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
at&t, padfone s, padfone s2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)