Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 50,535 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why are App Privacy settings show different permissions than App Store?

Tip us?

otgkhan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Why are App Privacy settings show different permissions than App Store?

Hello,

I wanted to ask a question about the difference in permissions for an app that are shown on the Play store and in App Privacy area of the setting.

For example, when I downloaded Accuweather Platinum from Play store, I was told that the app will have access to Identity, Location, and Photos/Media/Files. For Identity, it further stated that it "uses one or more of: accounts on the device, profile data."

I found it rather intrusive that a weather app would want access to my identity information, be it anything. Especially, since their privacy policy dictates that they can track user behavior on ANY site the user visits and not just on AccuWeather site.

But when I go to Settings -> App Privacy -> AccuWeahter, I only see the permissions listed as "coarse location, fine location, vibrate, keep awake" and the check boxes are there to block either one or all of them (location, vibrate, keep awake.)

Can someone please help me understand how this works. Why did Google Play mention that app will have access to my identity information and if the app really has that access, why won't App Privacy allow me to restrict that access.

Thanks

Monaro427
Old
(Last edited by Monaro427; Today at 05:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I've been trying to find out how the new google play permissions work too. I don't know what permissions have changed any more because it only lists all permissions and doesn't makr the new ones, so you have to go back to the Application settings and look at what they currently use and then, like you say, work out how they line up. I think google has succeeded in gettting people to not care anymore about permissions. Why take away the visibility and control of it all? Anyway, hope I can find something that can help. In the meantime, I just won't update apps with changed permissions.

I do have an app that now says "uses one or more of: accounts on the device, profile data." and their response was "We made changes that were required by play services and advertising network". I find that a bit hard to believe.

Edit: Having said that I just came across this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...store-t2783076. You'll need to be rooted and have xposed framework installed though.