Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 38,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What *is* Paranoid Android?

Tip us?

dandv
Old
(Last edited by dandv; 26th August 2014 at 12:52 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Info 2 [Q] What *is* Paranoid Android?

Landed here from the "Custom Roms" link on the XDA forums. What exactly is Paranoid Android? Could there be a sticky for users new to it? Perhaps with some reason on why this ROM is awesome, like CM's "Why Mod?" page?

I haven't found any information *about* this ROM on paranoidandroid.co, and I'm not the only one who's confused.
Visit my hand-picked selection of Best Android apps on the Android Users' wiki

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7,326

DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2583582

#stayparanoid

djgebel
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
Sadly, that's only the change log. No answers to the question in the first post. Anyone? I'm curious too!

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7,326

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgebel View Post
Sadly, that's only the change log. No answers to the question in the first post. Anyone? I'm curious too!
The change log thread contains a list of all features. Period. What more do you need? Use this ROM and you will increase inches? Get more women?

#stayparanoid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pirateghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dandv
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Thumbs down Summarize what the ROM is about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
The change log thread contains a list of all features. Period. What more do you need? Use this ROM and you will increase inches? Get more women?
#stayparanoid
Certainly not more snark or irrelevant hashtags; more of an outsider's perspective instead of a core dev's one would help. Keep in mind that the vast majority of the users haven't a clue what Paranoid Android is, and are rather trying to decide on which ROM to flash. They're not going to compare change logs. How could we help them choose Paranoid when it's right for them?
  • focus of the ROM - is it theming? de-bloating? features? a mix? security, since it's called Paranoid?
  • features differentiating it from other ROMs (raison d'etre - why was this ROM made when there are so many out there)
  • device compatibility - what phones has it been tested on?
  • stability notes - how mature is the ROM?
  • what works, what doesn't
Visit my hand-picked selection of Best Android apps on the Android Users' wiki
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dandv For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7,326

DONATE TO ME
Irrelevant hash tags?

Just like the blog states,

Paranoid Android is a custom rom focused on open devices. We aim to not simply add to Android but extend it, utilizing the same design philosophies Google uses with AOSP (Android Open Source Project). You won't find a sea of options but a minimalistic user focused approach to Android.

We only support nexus, oppo, and 1+ devices.

Honestly, if a user wants to know what it is, there are dozens of android blogs and videos that have covered it all.

We don't have our website up, simply because of lack of time and manpower. Everything we have included works. We don't break devices.

And if you actually look at the change log thread it covers the features in detail, so your comment about comparing the change log is null

#stayparanoid
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirateghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7,326

DONATE TO ME
My apologies. Its been a rough day. I will post something more coherent after I recover from today's events

#stayparanoid
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirateghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kvarga
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Actually that changelog thread has detailed descriptions of each feature they added to AOSP.
Not only the version-to-version changes.

Those feature descriptions are detailed. Not big words but rather a what-you-get. Clear and detailed.

I say that is the most usable description about a custom ROM. Thanks for the PA team!

Sent from XT910 running AOSPAL