Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,620 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[COMPETITION] Food Baby - a nutrition and virtual pet watchapp

Tip us?

cheniel
Old
(Last edited by cheniel; 1st September 2014 at 05:34 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
@Erovia Thanks! Good catch. Didn't realize my original post was out of date with the current state of the project. Nothing official in terms of a beta -- I figure since the source is on Github and most people currently looking at the project are reasonably technical people, they can just build and install themselves. It'll be released in the Pebble app store before the end of the week.

cheniel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I've begun working on animations for the sprite. Here is an example of sleep (actual sleeping sprite pending)

screen6

The ZZZs display one at a time then all go away.

Also, I have another update regarding the sprite. As you can see from the screens and the mockup, the sprite has gone through quite a number of iterations. For the final app, Iíve opted for a more simple, minimalist approach of just a simple pyramid that bounces and slides around.

The sprite is partially inspired by research by Thalia Wheatley on motion, where manipulation of a single ball had to ability to convey emotion. For those who are curious, she talks about the work starting around 5 min in this video: http://thesituationist.wordpress.com...alia-wheatley/

cheniel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Finished all the animations! All the functionality that I want is in there, all that is left is testing, cleaning up the code, and some potential sprite changes.

Here's the release if you want to check it out! https://github.com/cheniel/food-baby/releases I'd love to get some feedback.

Erovia
Old
Thanks Meter 247
I compiled it and I like it so far.

I also uploaded the pbw file, in case someone wants to try it but can't (or don't want to) compile it, I hope you don't mind.
If someone wants to use it with AutoPebble, the app's uuid is: a68ca36b-c578-4c3b-85f7-f4d02e9e283c
Attached Files
File Type: zip food_baby.zip - [Click for QR Code] (10.7 KB, 1 views)
Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: ParanoidAndroid 4+
Kernel: hells-Core
Recovery: MultiROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Nexus 7
ROM: SlimKat 5+
Kernel: LeanKernel
Recovery: MultiROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: Motorola Milestone A853 ROM: CyanogenMod 9.1.0d Recovery: Open Recovery MiniMod by -FuFu-
The Following User Says Thank You to Erovia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cheniel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
@Erovia Thanks for uploading the pbw! Glad to hear you like it.

cheniel
Old
(Last edited by cheniel; 5th September 2014 at 08:33 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
The app is pretty much finished! Changed up a bunch of the sprites and bitmaps, fixed a crashing bug, and I will be releasing the app to the app store tomorrow.

Here's some final screens:

final0
sleeping baby. occurs when the user hasn't shaken the pebble or pressed a button in 7 minutes. The Zs are animated to display one at a time, and then they all go away and restart.

final1
sad animation. the baby paces back and forth.

final2
sad animation showing the sidebar

final3
view of app before opening, including icon

final4
content baby. It jumps around the screen (see next)

final5
content baby mid-jump

final6
happy baby, also jumps around screen (see next)

final7
happy baby mid-jump

final8
portion of food selection menu -- you can see the reset option poking in at the bottom

final9
the log view screen, where you can see the raw data of today's current servings

cheniel
Old
(Last edited by cheniel; 5th September 2014 at 06:11 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Spent the morning working on marketing banners for the app store, now working on last touches before release. Check out the banners in the original project description!

It's up! Check it out: bitly.com/food-baby-app