Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,624 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Announcement from Johny_G: Let's create a Pebble game that's fun and easy to play!

[COMPETITION] Drag Racing - CONTEST WINNER! - 1.1 Update Published

Tip us?

Johny_G
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Default [COMPETITION] Drag Racing - CONTEST WINNER! - 1.1 Update Published

Summary
It's not easy to create a good game for Pebble that's actually easy to control. Just a very few made this right. But there is a pretty popular game genre that ought to be comfortable and fun to play on your wrist! Yes, it's a drag racing . Three buttons are just about right for this kind of game. Also, there's gonna be a zero BS factor. No waiting for gas, no double currency. Just a fair game designed to be fun.

Target platform
This game should be Pebble only. No companion app (for now), no JavaScript screens. So iPhone users are more than welcome to play along since the very first beta .

The challenge
I've already made some apps for Pebble. But none of them was multi-screen, and definitely none of them used real-time graphics. It's the challenge to make this happen, and balance the gameplay just right.

The extra challenge
Due to my huge work load, I only have 4 days to make it. Just two weekends and that's it. Can I make it?

The trinkets
I have decided to uncover the game info as I progress. So feel free to come back once in a while .

Peek at thewireframes:
Peek at the wireframes

Some screens:
Main menu Car selection Garage Upgrades Race selection Race Race results

Download:
https://apps.getpebble.com/applicati...b01c8c15000138

Source code:
https://github.com/JohnyGQD/drag-racing-pebble

Changelog:
Code:
1.1:
- New How to play screen with valuable tips and tricks
- Slightly modified difficulty and economy
- You can close the race results screen with the select button as well as the back button
- Buildings don't pass you that fast until you get a really fast car
Thank you for your support!

XDA:DevDB Information
Drag Racing for Pebble, Tool/Utility for the Pebble

Contributors
Johny_G

Version Information

Created 2014-08-16
Last Updated 2014-09-19
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johny_G For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johny_G
Old
(Last edited by Johny_G; 30th August 2014 at 09:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Day 1 Update

I lost some time preparing graphics and recalling all the C knowledge I've already lost ). However, I have finished most of the screens, and some are in late work-in-progress stage (not pictured below). Also, most of the data structures are already finished.

Main menu Car selection Car selection Race selection Race

Johny_G
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Day 2 Update (retrospective of 18th August 2014 that I forgot to post)

OK. All the screens are done, controls are ready, basic physics is implemented, backlight control is safe and working. There I give you one new screenshot of the garage, and the wireframes above are complete now.

Garage

Johny_G
Old
(Last edited by Johny_G; 30th August 2014 at 09:03 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Day 3 Update

Okay guys! I'm glad to inform you, that the game is basically complete . I'm racing, I'm upgrading car, beating opponents and my own highscore, an the lanscape goes by fast as hell . I have added race progress indicator as well. I've also been doing some basic difficulty balancing, but the main testing phase comes tommorow. If everything goes well, first version can go public . New screens below are from actual game, no mockups anymore.

Upgrades Race Race results High score

Johny_G
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Day 4 Update

Good news, everyone! I have finished my extra challenge, and due to the lack of time, I was able to finish the game to complete all my quality standards within 4 days only! These have been really long days, but the game is done and it is great. I will keep playing to balance the difficulty just right, and release the game to the public during next week. I'm already really excited to see your feedback .

Johny_G
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Okay guys, I'm ready to release this . Have fun!

Download:
https://apps.getpebble.com/applicati...b01c8c15000138

Erovia
Old
Thanks Meter 247
Not a big fan of gaming on Pebble, but I quite enjoyed this one!
Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: ParanoidAndroid 4+
Kernel: hells-Core
Recovery: MultiROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Nexus 7
ROM: SlimKat 5+
Kernel: LeanKernel
Recovery: MultiROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: Motorola Milestone A853 ROM: CyanogenMod 9.1.0d Recovery: Open Recovery MiniMod by -FuFu-
The Following User Says Thank You to Erovia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johny_G
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Thank you very much .

mcongrove
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I know that we're competition and all, but this is really cool
The Following User Says Thank You to mcongrove For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcongrove
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Is it just me, or is there a bit of a cheat when it comes to nitro? When I first started playing my nitro was lacking compared to the AI, and one time I didn't use the nitro. It seemed like, because I didn't, the AI didn't either. The next race I used the nitro, and as soon as I did the AI used the boost and sped past.

It doesn't always work, but often enough to notice. And to use it to my advantage