[Q] Are you able to watch youtube videos via WiFi? What apk version are you using?

OP sirscrubsalot

4th September 2014, 02:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 7

101 posts
More
Oh my, I wonder if we still have any photon 4G users around here... I'll try with some wishful luck

Stock ROM, 2.3.5, Sprint, Root Only.

Youtube Version : 5.0.21 = videos play fine directly via the app when connected on 3G/4G but never on WiFi, error : There was a problem while playing. Touch to retry. - this error just started last month. Cache/Data clears did nothing. I have a Nexus 7 Stock Android 4.4.X tablet that also connects & plays youtube videos to the same Wifi network without a problem. Other data-related apps (e.g. gmail, browser) work fine.

Interestingly, I can still view youtube videos on other apps like Reddit News, PVStar+ Pro (both on Wifi + 3g/4g). It's just when directly loading the youtube app, this error appears. I can search and see content but all I get is that Touch to Retry" I tried uninstalling back to the original stock version of youtube that originally came with the photon and it was able to play via WiFi, but I lose my option to view embedded videos on Reddit News app (needed v5.0.21 to do that).

So I'm rooted + have my MSL if needed to edit anything. Has anyone experienced this or found a better apk version that works?
Last edited by sirscrubsalot; 4th September 2014 at 02:24 PM.
4th September 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
Yep!
Getting the same issue on my end.
Honestly stopped using my phone to do anything like game or watch videos since I got it.
Much rather buy a new phone than bother with all the problems I've gotten using this one.
4th September 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #3  

1 posts
I know this is offtopic but I just found this post on the atrix forum about a photon user flashing the atrix's 4.4.4 kitkat rom on his phone. The thread is titled "MB855need some help". He states that everything seem to work fine but, the camera, light and distance sensor, and button's light don't work. He was trying to get attention from devs to make it work on this phone but it seems they are already too busy with other projects, so I was thinking if we could get some attention from a dev for this phone we could get an almost-working kitkat rom. You can find the 4.4.4 kitkat rom in the atrix's development forum.
10th September 2014, 10:02 AM   |  #4  
Flag Scottsdale

8 posts
More
WiFi videos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVic

Getting the same issue on my end.
Honestly stopped using my phone to do anything like game or watch videos since I got it.
Much rather buy a new phone than bother with all the problems I've gotten using this one.

I am temporarily back on my Photon. My use of videos on WiFi has never been an issue. I am using GSM on a formerly Sprint CDMA model. I had the update that prevented full unlock, but I was able to modify everything necessary regardless. So, I don't know if my configuration is standard, but I have my old files on the SD card. I'd be glad to help if I can. I can look at this more tomorrow sometime. I was just wandering by as I was working on my new phone... it's late.
10th September 2014, 04:02 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 36

115 posts
I used the one out of mof 2.3.5 ish rom and it works perf3ct. If I update I get the error again

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread