Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unlocking problems for the bootloader

OP x11-nice

13th October 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
More
I am trying to unlock my photons Q bootloader on the Motosite which is well known. I check it now a million times if I have a typo and I Dont.
The button with the "request unlock key " comes up, I hit it, and didnt recieve any mail. And I started last week doing it.
The Photon q has a GSM mod done by the almighty CornholioGSM, and I am using a connection from Germany. Since it is a Sprint photon, I thought that it might be discarded, because the ip it comes from is german ?..
Would be great to have someone telling me if there is another solution to this ..
I tried to flash with the locked bootloader the recovery, but get the message "invalid image size" on CWM or TWR.

I hope this Q is not too noob for all of you.
13th October 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #2  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,644

11,399 posts
Donate to Me
More
I would try motochopper or whatever the exploit was to unlock without Moto's assistance.

It may have been unlocked previously, (relocked for warranty swap) in which case I'm not sure you can use the site to re-unlock the device...
The Following User Says Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh

I would try motochopper or whatever the exploit was to unlock without Moto's assistance.

It may have been unlocked previously, (relocked for warranty swap) in which case I'm not sure you can use the site to re-unlock the device...

First of all thank your for your answer ! Most likely you are right. Now my Q, I did read Motochopper just install SU and also gives root, but without touching the bootloader. Dont I need to unlock the bootloader if I want to install Cyanogen or any other Mod ? Maybe I understood that wrong.
13th October 2014, 06:38 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by x11-nice

First of all thank your for your answer ! Most likely you are right. Now my Q, I did read Motochopper just install SU and also gives root, but without touching the bootloader. Dont I need to unlock the bootloader if I want to install Cyanogen or any other Mod ? Maybe I understood that wrong.

Ok, motochopper did its job. Thank you for that ! ! ! I guess now I have to go on with Goomanager.
13th October 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #5  

11,399 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok, motochopper did its job. Thank you for that ! ! ! I guess now I have to go on with Goomanager.

If you're wanting to install TWRP, I think they have a new app now... TWRP Manager?

I've always installed recovery using fastboot on the Q, so I'm not very familiar with the apps .
13th October 2014, 08:28 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin

11 posts
More
Quote:

If you're wanting to install TWRP, I think they have a new app now... TWRP Manager?

I've always installed recovery using fastboot on the Q, so I'm not very familiar with the apps .

I tried the TWRP Manager, the manager shows me success for installing the TWRP recovery, but I cant access it. It switches back into Fastboot telling me flash failure. Actually I would like to install CM11. Well I will try to install the latest nightly and see whats happening. Hopefully it doesnt brick. Thanks for your help, I will let you know about success or fail.
13th October 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #7  

11,399 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I tried the TWRP Manager, the manager shows me success for installing the TWRP recovery, but I cant access it. It switches back into Fastboot telling me flash failure. Actually I would like to install CM11. Well I will try to install the latest nightly and see whats happening. Hopefully it doesnt brick. Thanks for your help, I will let you know about success or fail.

You need to install some sort of custom recovery in order to flash a custom ROM.

Open Recovery or TWRP are both fine. CWM is really old for our device, I can't recommend it.
The Following User Says Thank You to arrrghhh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th October 2014, 10:15 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin

11 posts
More
Quote:

You need to install some sort of custom recovery in order to flash a custom ROM.

Open Recovery or TWRP are both fine. CWM is really old for our device, I can't recommend it.

So yesterday Motorola send me the messages with the codes which I apllied for almost 2 weeks ago... I guess the next days will arrive more.
Ofc I tried to unlock and it worked as expected. Now with fastboot flashing tto recovery 2.8.0.1 of TWRP went flawless. Actually I am really impressed how easy it worked, unlike using all the other tools like motochopper and TWRP Manager, which actually didnt solve the problem at all not having a unlocked bootloader.

Now my last Q: Which CM11 is the preferable choice for using it with the Photon. I dont care so much about Nightly or not. What I need is stable VPN and WIFI, and working mail and messenger like Cypher.

And! Thank you so much arrrghhh for all your advice and help. This forum and its users are really a great help to the community of android !
18th October 2014, 12:02 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Berlin

11 posts
More
All DONE
Ok used TWRP 2.8.0.1 to install cm-11-20141012-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960_jbbl and the PA-Gapps-Modular for 4.4.x. Great work on everyone who participated making this possible and developing the necessary tools.

Thanks again to Arrrghhh and Cornholio !

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread