Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

CyanogenMod 11.0 for Photon Q

OP kabaldan

20th January 2015, 08:45 PM   |  #111  
Thanks Meter: 17

41 posts
Understood. I'm just a bit sad/frustrated that the Q was 'left out'. And I don't mean to 'pile on' Motorola unnecessarily.

I personally joined the Smartphone arena very early on (2005). I have always had and enjoyed a physical keyboard on my devices (Palm 700wx, HTC Touch Pro 2, and now Photon Q). I had been holding out hope that something new would come along - finally broke down and bought a Nexus5 off Swappa. Arrives in the mail today.

Today is a very very sad day for me.
20th January 2015, 11:53 PM   |  #112  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 3,591

1,498 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Bruine

Any news on 3.4 kernel? In know not to ask for ETA. But I am curious wether 3.4 development is ongoing or has stopped.

And as to why? Lapdock

I still may have a few ideas of what to check and try, but I'm not actively working on 3.4 kernel on Q at the moment due to a serious lack of free time. But I'd really like to get back to it, hopefully soon (whatever that means ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfc_m_drake

I think we've pretty much reached the end of the line in regards to this phone, which is sad. Reality is that nadlabak probably has a job and a family - and it was going to be a Herculean effort for him to get it going by himself anyway.

The blame for this lies with Motorola who, for some reason, decided that this was the only 8960 device to NOT get an official KitKat update. If Moto would have continued support, then we could have stayed unified with the rest of the 8960 tree, we would have had the 3.4 kernel, and probably could have even advanced to Lollipop. Even though the device is long-in-the-tooth, it's still *very* capable - making the situation even more sad.

CM12 build for xt897 (based on 3.0 kernel) is currently being actively prepared (together with mb886, xt925_jbbl and maybe other jbbl devices).
As mentioned, Atrix HD (mb886) hasn't received the promised official KK update yet, as well as Australian Razr HD (xt925) and Australian Razr M (xt905) - Telstra postponed the planned December KK release because of some issues found and is currently waiting for a new submission from Motorola for new testing at Telstra.
So there's still a lot of jbbl devices out there that demand CM12, not only Photon Q.

CM12 jbbl builds are almost ready. The main remaining issue (caused by difficulties with the old 3.0 kernel) is to get the hw video encoder and decoder properly working. Once it's fixed, official CM12 nightlies for jbbl devices will start rolling.

Regarding the reasons for cancellation of KK update for Photon Q, my own feeling tells me that it was actually caused by Sprint decline to participate on the release. For Sprint, Photon Q was a failure, and I guess they didn't want to invest any more resources to its future support.

Doug Kaufman, manager of handset strategy for Sprint:
Quote:

"So we had all that data, and we said 'Look, there's still the demand for QWERTY.' And then we went out and built the LG Mach and the Photon Q."

"It was a big party and nobody came."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5...but-to-bury-it
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kabaldan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2015, 10:39 AM   |  #113  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,421

956 posts
More
I don't think they'd refuse it if that was "easy" thing to do, since Moto is upgrading the platform.
22nd January 2015, 02:09 PM   |  #114  
Flag Delft
Thanks Meter: 23

534 posts
More
Ordered an MHL adapter. Hopefully it will work icw Z2 + Lapdock.

I could try and go back to stock. That will work on the Lapdock. My daughter's Q is on stock. But it's the misses that wants to use the Lapdock (CM11 )

Thanks for the replies.
24th January 2015, 08:08 PM   |  #115  
Thanks Meter: 26

264 posts
Do we have a size for the CM12 (with gapps maybe?) roms? (I mean the used space in /system partition.)
I want to try to modify the partition sizes. (CM11 + gapps and a few apps uses about 550MiB.)
Based on my finding -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...55&postcount=2

To the used space I would add 100-150 MiB.
24th January 2015, 09:55 PM   |  #116  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader009

Do we have a size for the CM12 (with gapps maybe?) roms? (I mean the used space in /system partition.)
I want to try to modify the partition sizes. (CM11 + gapps and a few apps uses about 550MiB.)
Based on my finding -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...55&postcount=2

To the used space I would add 100-150 MiB.

Do you know how to properly do that? What partition will you take from to add to system?

Sent from my ATRIX HD using XDA Free mobile app
24th January 2015, 11:01 PM   |  #117  

264 posts
I am going to use "parted" to allign the partitions.
I will smaller the system partition and make another bigger (first for testing purposes).
I had found another thread with parted as a program -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2608337
I am going to use this and will look at the tutorial in that thread.
Of course I will have to customize some numbers and/or partition names, so they match to the current layout.

At the end I am going to have a smaller system partition and a bigger cache or something else (userdata).
I ask for the used space in cm12 to make it ready for cm12 and to not modify it in the future again (it will wipe the system partition and any other partition which get changed in size).
Last edited by Loader009; 24th January 2015 at 11:05 PM.
Yesterday, 07:47 PM   |  #118  

264 posts
I tried it this evening (to change the partitions).
Without any success.

It looks like the changes aren't made, I am confused what I might have done wrong.

What have I done? 2 different ways.
1. switch the names of cache and system (partition number 36 (cache) and 37 (system)) with parted.
After a reboot everything was like always, nothing changed. I thought that the symlinks(?) were made to the partition numbers, so I went the way to delete and make the partitions.

2. because #36 is cache (805MB in parted) and #37 is system (1560MB in parted) I needed to delete both and make them again with the opposite sizes.
So #36 was still cache but 1560MB big and #37 was still system with 805MB. Quitting parted and reboot, same effect as before.

As a conclusion I think that the partition table is hardcoded.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread