Psa- android 7.1.1 update blocks depixel8

Search This thread

tserv95

Mar 1, 2015
Make sure you don't update to 7.1.1 on a locked bootloader for the Verizon model otherwise, the depixel8 exploit will no longer work. It was confirmed by the developers of it already as you can check at their site and see as well. Now me personally I enjoy stock so I don't care but I figured for people with the Verizon model like me would care to see this.
Do not attempt to downgrade or any other methods of rooting until you see a tested and working method by one of the XDA devs in the Android Development forums for the Pixel.

Last edited:

macboss

Mar 23, 2010
Chicago
learned this the hard way by updating my Verizon Pixel XL 128 installing twrp, then boot-to-root then bootloop. it appears it breaks twrp & root. i could be wrong. anybody else have a similar experience?

mrjiggywiggy

Nov 4, 2014
New York
learned this the hard way by updating my Verizon Pixel XL 128 installing twrp, then boot-to-root then bootloop. it appears it breaks twrp & root. i could be wrong. anybody else have a similar experience?

I'm pretty sure the boot to root doesn't work with TWRP. Use a factory image if possible and try to install TWRP and use the SuperSU zip instead.

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
If we are unlocked BL, rooted, stock recovery with SR5, will root break if we adb sideload?

mrj0087

Feb 21, 2014
El Paso
so how do I update if I'm unlocked and have twrp installed? I'm assuming I shouldn't take the OTA update?

jreink01

Jun 27, 2012
Saginaw
Bought my pixel from the Google store. Pixels from the Google store, are the bootloader's locked or unlocked?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: tzortst

jreink01

Jun 27, 2012
Saginaw
They are locked upon purchasing however, you can easily unlock them.
Might be interested in rooting at some point, is it my understanding to not take the 7.1.1 update then. Or wouldn't it matter since my bootloader is still locked? I guess what I'm asking if root would still be possible if i took the update?

VadimTk

Aug 11, 2010
Might be interested in rooting at some point, is it my understanding to not take the 7.1.1 update then. Or wouldn't it matter since my bootloader is still locked? I guess what I'm asking if root would still be possible if i took the update?

If you are have a phone from Verizon it is required to have unlocked bootloader to obtain root.
So if it is a Verizon phone and you take 7.1.1 update - you won't be able to get root

epic4grooted

Sep 3, 2010
portland
If we are unlocked BL, rooted, stock recovery with SR5, will root break if we adb sideload?
Yes

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

so how do I update if I'm unlocked and have twrp installed? I'm assuming I shouldn't take the OTA update?
I side loaded the OTA and went through the process again have twrp and root

guandms

Dec 15, 2010
I bought my device from UK, i got it unlocked and rooted but without TWRP recovery, what is the best option for me to install the update ?
And does it erase my device ?
Thanks in advace ...
I'm running Build : NDE63V

quangtran1

Aug 27, 2011
I bought my device from UK, i got it unlocked and rooted but without TWRP recovery, what is the best option for me to install the update ?
Thanks in advace ...

With an unlocked BL, you're pretty free to do whatever you want. I've done it multiple ways; to me, the most straightforward steps are:

Download the 7.1.1 NMF260 image from Google.
Extract the zip file into the adb folder on the PC.
Edit the flash-all.bat file to remove the -w switch so user data won't be deleted. You'll find this -w switch easily enough.
Put your Pixel into fastboot mode, using either power+volume down or via adb command.
Plug phone to PC if not already done so. Execute the flash-all batch file.
When that's done, you have 7.1.1 on your phone, along with new radio and new kernel. (actually, I'm not sure if Google even put out a new kernel.)
Then you can go back to re-root with whatever method you used previously.

Enjoy!

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)

Yes, but just reroot. Works fine.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

On a Google Store pixel, you can always unlock your bootloader. You are posting in a vzw pixel revelent thread, depixel8 and any talk on the subject doesn't apply. Don't get confused.

mrj0087

Feb 21, 2014
El Paso
Yes

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I side loaded the OTA and went through the process again have twrp and root

Sorry I'm confused. So use adb side load in twrp? So I'm doing adb reboot recovery then adb side load OTA.zip once in twrp? Then I have to reflash twrp and root?

epic4grooted

Sep 3, 2010
portland
Download the OTA zip from Google run flash all it then go through the steps to reroot and install twrp

donslade

Mar 4, 2010
El Paso, TX
I unlocked the BL using dePixel8 last Wed. when I picked up my Pixel. It updated to NDE63X via OTA after I unlocked BL. Received OTA update to NMF260, downloaded and installed it last night via normal OTA process. BL unlock is unchanged: unlocked status.

It helps if the phone is plugged in and on WiFi since it is a 260MB download.

So far 7.1.1 works great.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Make sure you don't update to 7.1.1 on a locked bootloader for the Verizon model otherwise, the depixel8 exploit will no longer work. It was confirmed by the developers of it already as you can check at their site and see as well. Now me personally I enjoy stock so I don't care but I figured for people with the Verizon model like me would care to see this.
    Do not attempt to downgrade or any other methods of rooting until you see a tested and working method by one of the XDA devs in the Android Development forums for the Pixel.
    Thanks in advace ...

With an unlocked BL, you're pretty free to do whatever you want. I've done it multiple ways; to me, the most straightforward steps are:

Download the 7.1.1 NMF260 image from Google.
    Extract the zip file into the adb folder on the PC.
    Edit the flash-all.bat file to remove the -w switch so user data won't be deleted. You'll find this -w switch easily enough.
    Put your Pixel into fastboot mode, using either power+volume down or via adb command.
    Plug phone to PC if not already done so. Execute the flash-all batch file.
    When that's done, you have 7.1.1 on your phone, along with new radio and new kernel. (actually, I'm not sure if Google even put out a new kernel.)
    Then you can go back to re-root with whatever method you used previously.

Enjoy!

I'm pretty sure the boot to root doesn't work with TWRP. Use a factory image if possible and try to install TWRP and use the SuperSU zip instead.
    And that is exactly the problem. Thanks.

Not a problem. I updated the post to be more clear now. Also have a warning posted advising for users other than xda devs to not try anything involving downgrading/rooting until a tested method is out.
    Sadly there is no way to downgrade. Hopefully a bootloader unlock method comes out for 7.1.1 I'm sure there will be just gotta wait for one.
    You need to read up a little before you start posting information that is either incomplete or erroneous. First of all, once you unlock the Verizon Pixel (VP) you should not relock it, period. It can cause instability and there is no way to fix it if it does. You are not doing the community one bit of good by doing something that has been documented as something you should not do. Even if it works for you it is not recommended and you will get no support if something goes awry.

Secondly, the bootloader for the VP and the GP are exactly the same. I don't think it's common knowledge as to why you can unlock the GP but not the VP but it has nothing to do with the bootloader. You do not need depixel8 to unlock the GP version you can simply do it according to instructions. But if your VP has been updated to 7.1.1 without first unlocking on 7.1 then you are out of luck, at least for now.

So stop playing games with a 700 device or suggesting that if you do others should follow. It's just self serving and childish imo. All of your questions, assumptions and testing has been done in multiple other threads on XDA and around the forums. Please take some time to familiarize yourself with these postings.