Ara Flip Concept Design challenge

25th June 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag inside
Thanks Meter: 104

814 posts
More
The smallest Ara endo is shockingly small, supposedly 100mm tall x 40mm wide. It's actually smaller than my Blackberry Pearl Flip at 101mm x 50mm. It could make a killer flip phone. Some advantages of a smart flip phone are 1) rugged, extra pocketable clamshell protection for the screen 2) better speaker and mic positioning during calls 3) if you carry a second phone for work, you may not want two 6" behemoths 4) though not well suited for games or info dense apps, the phone would still run google voice and a variety of other necessary and popular communication apps.

The concept I have in mind would model itself off of the Motorola Ming, attached below. That is, rather than having two screens, it would have one screen and the cover flip would be either entirely transparent (like the ming) or partially transparent (like various flagship quick covers that give you a small window to display info like time and caller ID--if the screen is AMOLED, this would save power). The transparent lid/speaker could hinge off the screen module itself, taking advantage of the additional stability posts on the front of the endos for strength and producing a relatively svelte device.

I'd love to convince someone to make a screen that turned the small Ara into a flip phone. I think having an actual concept drawing might help this module get made. Anything from pencil sketches to full on 3d renders would be amazing. This challenge is for someone fascinated by Ara, interested in a challenge, and willing to accept payment in gratitude and artistic credit. The completed render/drawing would be tweeted at various Ara people and any companies identified as working on modules and to blogs that have covered Ara and tweets would ID you as the artist. You could also sign the image itself and I and perhaps other crazy flip phone fans would be promoting your skills for free.

I know convincing someone to do some sketches is itself unlikely, and getting the module even more so, but android flip phones actually are popular overseas and I think there is a niche market here as well, perhaps especially for people who carry multiple phones. So I decided it is worth asking. Thank you kindly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	project-ara3 (Custom).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2817608   Click image for larger version

Name:	project-ara (Custom) (2).jpg
Views:	349
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2817609   Click image for larger version

Name:	1333714039298.jpg (Custom).gif
Views:	364
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2817610  
26th June 2014, 08:55 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag inside
Thanks Meter: 104

814 posts
More
I would note for the record, that at today's ATAP presentation at Google IO, the Ara lead showed off, among other things, the concept drawing of the flippy pad Samuel Herb did. There is some potential for recognition for interesting concepts.

You also get to see Ara make to the boot animation, although not quite to the homescreen as they'd hoped. It's an exciting geek moment.
Last edited by fortunz; 26th June 2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: removed link that doesn't work anymore
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread