Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 39,139 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why not just use a back cover to hold all the modules ?

Tip us?

desertmod1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Why not just use a back cover to hold all the modules ?

I think that the current solution to the module layout is inefficient.

The area of the partition (marked in yellow) itself equals to at least another small module, IMO, a phone can't have so much 'dead' space and the more features a phone has the better. The partition area and the magnets also add weight to the device which could otherwise be used for more features.

Secondly, instead of 'wasting time' on fancy new features that we've never seen before, they should focus on getting the phone and modules to work together and release it for consumers for now and then later focus on these bleeding edge tech.

Thirdly, if water will spill on the back they could potentially sip through the cracks and get to the connection causing a short circuit and oxidation.

Lastly, the more expensive parts and the time to assemble them means the consumers would have to pay more. The whole point of this project is to make smartphones more accessible by making this significantly cheaper than current smartphones.

I think a back cover with clips or some mechanical locking mechanism to hold all the modules would be a much better solution. It will probably make switching modules a bit more complicated but it shouldn't be harder than changing the battery on a current smartphone (like in the Galaxy S line), in Ara's case it would be like changing several batteries.

TL;DR: I think a back cover to hold all the modules in place would be a much better solution because of the 'dead space' of the partition, weight, water protection and cost.

jckelsall
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think that the modules would also make the phone quite annoying to hold with the current design - the modules themselves seem smooth, but the partitions between them appear to stick out slightly more than the modules themselves, resulting in a bumpy surface. If I do buy an ara phone, I will definitely buy/create a case for it if they keep the current design, purely due to the annoyances created by the lumps and bumps.

Serious1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I agree

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rambo6
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I agree also. They probably have thought about it also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Nexus 7 LTE 2013
Nexus 5

keenofhiphop
Old
Thanks Meter 331
The frame does not stick out from the modules from what I saw till now.
I guess there will be back covers that comfort your hold.
I think they decided to use this method mostly because it is different and people will recognise you when you use it. Despite of that, it is significantly smaller than Xperia Z for instance and you should be able to hold it comfortably.
And I like the design, even more that you can print your own covers...

What I question is, how big the battery modules will be....

Gesendet von meinem Xperia ZL mit Tapatalk
keenofhiphop:
Sony Xperia C6503 ZL
Sony Xperia C5303 SP [sold], Sony Xperia L [sold], Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i [retired]

yzak58
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Why not 3rd party TPU bumper cases?

That should do the trick, it will hold everything together + protection

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

keenofhiphop
Old
Thanks Meter 331
Just as I said.
But the point about water and safety is true... Maybe there will be done kind of "rubbers", ultra thin that tighten the gap between where the shell touches the endo? I guess things like that will spread if the ara becomes a hit

keenofhiphop:
Sony Xperia C6503 ZL
Sony Xperia C5303 SP [sold], Sony Xperia L [sold], Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i [retired]

replicamask
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I agree with the back cover idea but at the same time I do like the look of the design that they've done with it. As for the liquid damage worries, like keenofhiphop said about the rubber, the modules themselves will probably be sealed units with the only opening being the connectors which might make them somewhat waterproof hopefully

GT-i8730 Asseveration 1.0.0

keenofhiphop
Old
Thanks Meter 331
They are definitely not waterproof. You could see at the first Dev con that is just a metal kind of box with a plastic shell, it's like a lunchbox made from aluminum: tight but not waterproof.
I, too, like the design. It's special and while it is the definition of pragmatical, it as well is unique and the fact that you can individually change it by printing shells tops off every other device around here. You don't like the design? Buy a cover...
I heard someone complain about the Epms and why they would not use any mechanics, but that way there will not be trouble with breaking connectors and warranty due to physical activity.
And they do not take up much space and hold tight.

keenofhiphop:
Sony Xperia C6503 ZL

NEERO
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I think they did not considered the back cover as the primary idea here is freedom of changing the modules quickly and adding new features, like say your battery is dyeing so you replace it quickly with another battery module while on the other hand the back case will make it a little difficult and will cost a little bit of time.

Tags
ara