Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Why not just use a back cover to hold all the modules ?

OP desertmod1

13th August 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 31

476 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenofhiphop

They are definitely not waterproof. You could see at the first Dev con that is just a metal kind of box with a plastic shell, it's like a lunchbox made from aluminum: tight but not waterproof.

They are not waterproof - yet. The pre-alpha modules are not ready for prime time. Judging them right now is a little silly. Who knows what will come in the months to follow.
5th September 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 2

11 posts
Covers are a good idea indeed, but you never know when Ara might be partition less and actully support the idea of orignal Phonebloks? using Lego like stuff as modules and there base would go in the holes on the main body
5th November 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I love the design of the phone for the same reason I have a clear window on my PC. If I help build something or if I play a part in putting it together or whatever the case may be, it makes that experience much more personal and I have a lot more pride in the device. If I'm proud of something, then I'm gonna show it off, its as simple as that. So I like the "raw" look of the phone and it's semi-exposed modules.
6th November 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 354

1,446 posts
More
Yeah. Why not use transparent modules to show of the processor or so

Per Regenbogen von meinem Moto G geKANGt.
7th November 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I think your supposed to be able to hotswap modules. I don't mind the current design, but it should have some kind of border that goes on the edge of the phone to secure the modules better.
9th November 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #16  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 545

1,130 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hotswap or not, they look like they could slide out with very little force. Dropping your phone and having to pick up the dozen pieces doesnt sound that fun. I dont think you should be able to remove your memory module without turning the device off and as such a shell somewhat like a galaxy or whatever would be ideal
10th November 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #17  
Flag Chemnitz/Germany
Thanks Meter: 356

1,970 posts
More
The poibt of the EPMs is that they need quite a bit of force to take off, once locked they even demonstrated that...
14th December 2014, 02:42 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 8

28 posts
the critics
Hello everyone,

from what I've read here i can see that some are still thinking the old way about a smartphone.

It should have every new feature and therefore a waste of space for borders is a waste of possibilities. Wrong!
Will you use your camera, high end GPU, LTE, flashlight, fingerprint sensor, WiFi, NFC, audio jack, HDMI port, USB port, speaker's and what ever else your phone has all at the same time? Or will you take pictures and share them over the internet, another time play a game on it and so on.
The medium sized model has 8 slots at the back, i guess WiFi and NFC can go in one, or even together with mobile and LTE. Another is CPU, GPU, camera, battery and sensors like gyroscope. Still at least one left. Maybe for another camera for 3D movies. Or a second battery so you can use it for several days.
If you don't need one, swap it with another one. They are not big, keep them in your purse or so.

Another thing was of they fall off easily. No!
They use electronic magnets to keep them in. When turned off they are very weak but strong enough to hold them in when you move and turn your phone, but nearly unremovable when turned on. A modified version of Lollipop will enable you to change most of the modules while the system is running. A weak CPU and battery are included in the Endo, so nothing will happen. You can guess you will have some kind of menu where you can choose which module you want to remove so the magnets turn off.

Why no backcover or pins to hold the modules?
Because they can wear off or even break. If you want to change modules often, like you have different camera modules for different occasions, a simple one for daily use, one with optical zoom and one with a big sensor for darker pictures, you will damage your phone sooner or later.
The phone normally is 9,7mm thick, same as normal smartphones, a cover would make it thicker. If you like one, get one. They surely will be available, because everything is modular.

It's not waterproof. Why is that a problem for you?
Every less expensive phone is not and this phone is designed for the 5 billion people who don't have a smartphone yet, because it's very cheap and customisable for every need. If you want it waterproof, there surely will be modules or covers available that guarantee you that, but they will cost a bit more, simple.
Why should the first version of a completely new way of handling the mobile hardware market put everything out at the same time. Get this piece of high-tech-art to work smoothly. That's what Google promises. And what they also promise is that everybody can participate in its evolution.

So if you have ideas on how to give that phone a new feature, think it through and try to form it into a sellable solution. This time you can not only complain and hope it's done better next time. No, you can improve it or even invent it.

It's time to use our brains finally!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ara
Previous Thread Next Thread