Ask a question

No registration required

Fueling the Project Ara.

OP MADCastro

18th June 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

26 posts
Hello everybody. I am here to present my ideas about the Project Ara.

1) Going beyond the cellphone shape.

Being honest, the Ara is an awesome idea for a Smartphone. But we could do much more in the future: We could have Tablets (7 to 10.1 inch), Laptops (not a convertible one, let this wonder to the Tablets, 13 to 17 inch), Small Desktops (Something small, not big like the Windows/Linux desktops), All in Ones (A la HP Slate 21, 17 to 25 inch), Handheld Consoles (NVIDIA Shield-like and PS Vita Like), Table Consoles (from the size of a Ouya to the size of a PS4) and TV Boxes (We could convert our basic TV on a Smart TV with those boxes).

2) How about physical keyboards and joypads?

Something that would be perfect is that i should not be forced to use the touch for everything. We used to Have Xperia Pros and Motorola Milestones years ago. We also had Sony Ericsson Xperia Play and we have the obscure JXD Gaming Smartphones. How about we have an removable Slide Keyboards (Just like the bluetooth slide keyboards for iPhones i usually find for sale), Soft (like the MS Surface) Hard Keyboard Docks for Tablets (like the ASUS Transformer Pad family and HP Slatebook x2) and Gamepads for both Phones and Tablets (Xperia Play Style or a removable with the Archos gamepad Style). This would make things even more interesting. Because i would use the hard keyboard dock to put an additional battery, USB Ports, RJ-45 Port, LTE Port, SD Card Port, 2.5 inch HDD Port, Mini DP Port. Heck, i could build a Transformer Pad-like tab with this and when i don't need the keyboard dock, i could use the gamepad for gaming.

3) My device. My settings.

There are Smartphones with 4K resolution out there. In my opinion this is an overkill for small screens. In tablets, though, it is plausible. I would love to build a smartphone with the maximum res of 1366x768, i don't need more than this. Also, i also don't feel the need of having a camera with more than Full HD resolution. So, i'm okay with a 1920x1080 camera for pics and video? Also, i want to be able to block phone calls when sleeping. It is annoying to wake up thing something serious happened and actually it is a Drunk calling for me. Also, if doesn't bother Google, We could dual boot an Ara Tablet with Arch Linux.

4) Android Live USB Sticks.

Linux distros are able to be customized in favor of someone, so this person can put his important apps on a Live DVD without the need of downloading everytime. We could have Something similar on Android.

There are more suggestions i would like to give, but, i don't have right now. anyone else have?

Sent from my SHIELD using XDA Free mobile app
19th June 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 346

1,422 posts
More
To 1:
If ARA is successful, those things will follow, logically. But I hope they'll keep the module size for tablets, but then they will have problems with space arrangement.
However, I'm happy about the ARA and will support the project (by buying one ).

To 2:
There is already a concept for a gamepad on here (just search for it). I dont know how it worked out if there would be module spaces on the back but the idea is interesting.
I'm sure there will be more than enough possibilities regarding keyboards and other additions as soon as manufacturers see the ARA sells.
I think root and custom firmwares are things we should worry about later... But Google would not want us to run sailfish or any Linux distribution in it. This is the only negative point I see about ARA... But probably Google is the only one that can afford such an experiment.

Regards

Gesendet von meinem Xperia ZL mit Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread