Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 50,509 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How will carriers handle this?

Tip us?

MGREX
Old
Thanks Meter 6
You can't update the hardware of a regular phone so you need a new one, more money for the carrier

danhatcher
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGREX View Post
I really don't think Ara is going to be popular outside the tech scene, like custom PCs.

How many mainstream users you know who install a custom Rom?
Just because mainstream users don't install custom ROMs doesn't mean the market isn't there. Think of how many users are just ONLINE at once on XDA alone; the community is huge. Having said that, it doesn't mean that non-mainstream users are the ONLY demographic for Ara. If it becomes reality then it will probably be marketed in an enormous way.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Sent via web
The Following User Says Thank You to danhatcher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MGREX
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhatcher View Post
Just because mainstream users don't install custom ROMs doesn't mean the market isn't there. Think of how many users are just ONLINE at once on XDA alone; the community is huge. Having said that, it doesn't mean that non-mainstream users are the ONLY demographic for Ara. If it becomes reality then it will probably be marketed in an enormous way.
You can't cure stupid, and most people are stupid. Right now we are getting chips with 8 crap cores instead of 2 or 4 really good ones because people in china is too stupid to see that more cores != more power

Which is not to say that people in the west aren't even dumber, all they care is branding (particularly one type of fruit...) and dumb gimmicks that add next to nothing to the experience.

I'm first in line to get an Ara, and I will try to bring as many people to the modular movement as possible, but even I know where the market for this ends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGREX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danhatcher
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGREX View Post
You can't cure stupid, and most people are stupid. Right now we are getting chips with 8 crap cores instead of 2 or 4 really good ones because people in china is too stupid to see that more cores != more power

Which is not to say that people in the west aren't even dumber, all they care is branding (particularly one type of fruit...) and dumb gimmicks that add next to nothing to the experience.

I'm first in line to get an Ara, and I will try to bring as many people to the modular movement as possible, but even I know where the market for this ends.
Being from 'The West', I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Sent via web

Snaipersky
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Aside from a certain commie-colored carrier, the only issue I see carriers having is tether/nfc. Otherwise they will have to suck it up. The great thing about gsm is you pay for the card's service, not the phone's. Hopefully with a universal radio (operate on ALL the bands!), we can make a truly free-as-in-free phone. Just make sure the BL stays unlocked/ unlockable.

md1008
Old
Thanks Meter 263
Carries can definitely make money off project Ara. If they were to sell the parts to update your phone people could be potentially spending more money more frequently as people will upgrade the individual parts

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to md1008 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

themasteroftech
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

franrich
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Here here to that the carrier definitely will go with that as the potential markup is great.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

replicamask
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Well whether carriers get engaged or even want to is something we'll have to wait and see. Google have taglined this as 'Designed exclusively for five billion people' I don't think they're going to let networks from anywhere, no matter how big and loud get in the way of that. As for carrier designed/developed modules, time will tell. Maybe the everyday casual user will drop into a phone shop for an upgrade but like super/heavy users on pc's, how many buy off the shelf unless they need it instantly or the price is almost the same as online? It's going to change the whole game. Maybe not for a couple of years but remember all the small tech companies who cane afford the cost of developing a full device, they can just focus on their strengths. And then like pc's we'll end up with a much more competitive, growing and advanced market. Sure there'll be cheap third party tak, but there'll also be top line unreal options made available. The growth that will follow is going to be unlike anything we've ever seen, even if it does take a while to get going.
I for one can't wait.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Troopermaniac
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Honestly who cares if carriers handle this. We are so close to having upgraded wifi signals to the point where we probably will phase out our traditional voice and text when this starts to become mainstream.