How do you use your Skyrocket?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Sealy64

Nov 10, 2014
Ok, I'm not sure what happened, but I think I may have killed one of my S2s last night. I did a full backup of the existing install, then dirty flashed over it. On reboot, all I got was an unprecedented spinning broken circle and a bootloop. It would flicker, then spin the circle some more until I power cycled the phone.

I went back into recovery, did partial wipe, and this time I actually saw the usual spinning dots, but the device never booted. I let it sit spinning colored dots for about 10 minutes. Weirdly, when I attempted to power the phone down, it started flashing the LED (camera flash) several times before rebooting (instead of shutting down) So, back into recovery, where I restored the backup. I rebooted, but now I'm back to the spinning broken circle.

I then did a full wipe of everything but the SD card and a restore, but I'm stuck with the spinning broken circle. All I can boot at the moment is a recovery.

Any ideas? Also, given all the wiping, is there any chance of a log available in TWRP? Lastly, I'm using TWRP 2.8.6.0 if it matters.

UPDATE:
Ok, I got it back. I nuked everything on the phone except /sdcard and reinstalled. I then did a full factory reset prior to first boot. It took a while, but I'm now in account setup.

Glad you finally got it working. Kind of scary, though, because it means your nandroid either failed to create correctly or failed to restore correctly.

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, that was pretty freaky. I was about to write the phone off as bricked, but tried one last time to get it back. These Galaxy S2s really have 9 lives.

Unfortunately, I'm now on problem #2. Trebuchet keeps force closing when I attempt to drag an app to the home screen. Actually, it force closes if I press and hold an icon at all. I haven't done much to this image beyond disabling the Google App to disable the search bar. I'm going to unfreeze it and see if the problem goes away.

I will say that lag has definitely improved, though. The user interface feels much more snappy.

UPDATE: Yes, unfreezing the Google app fixes Trebuchet. I wouldn't have thought the launcher would have been that affected by it. Which is unfortunate, because now it only shows half the search bar and the functionality appears to be broken...

Last edited:
Reactions: nospamdan1

rogersa2k

Aug 12, 2007
How To Remove ES File Explorer

First, thanks for working on this rom. It makes keeping my old SGS2 Skyrocket around as a secondary phone still a pleasurable experience.

The one thing I cannot seem to do is remove ES File Explorer. In reality I would prefer to use TiBu to convert it to a user app but that fails. I tried remounting the root fs as rw but that doesn't seem to work either (via Terminal Emulator or adb root). Any ideas what I am missing?

Thanks,
Aaron Rogers

raptorddd

Jun 13, 2013
culiacan
First, thanks for working on this rom. It makes keeping my old SGS2 Skyrocket around as a secondary phone still a pleasurable experience.

The one thing I cannot seem to do is remove ES File Explorer. In reality I would prefer to use TiBu to convert it to a user app but that fails. I tried remounting the root fs as rw but that doesn't seem to work either (via Terminal Emulator or adb root). Any ideas what I am missing?

Thanks,
Aaron Rogers

Can you use titanium to uninstall?? or use link2sd uninstall option.. i remove most of the system apps i dont need either way, not on this rom but i guess its the same in most roms

rogersa2k

Aug 12, 2007
Can you use titanium to uninstall?? or use link2sd uninstall option.. i remove most of the system apps i dont need either way, not on this rom but i guess its the same in most roms

Nope. I get the following error:

Cannot remove system app
Failed to locate the apk file

I *can* remove every other system app that I wanted to. It's so odd.

Edit: Weird. I used Root Explorer and it was able to remount and delete the /system/app/ES folder. Sorry to waste anyone's time. I've just never had to do that before and I've been doing stuff like this for 5+ years.

- Aaron

Last edited:

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
Looking for feedback

OK, so our devices were not supported by CyanogenMod starting with Lollipop, which made development a lot more difficult. Now we are looking at M, and while I have already started on it, I would really appreciate some feedback on the following questions:

1. How many people are still using their Skyrockets as a primary phone?
  2. How many will be interested in Candy6?
  3. How many folks will be able to test for me?

Sealy64

Nov 10, 2014
OK, so our devices were not supported by CyanogenMod starting with Lollipop, which made development a lot more difficult. Now we are looking at M, and while I have already started on it, I would really appreciate some feedback on the following questions:

1. How many people are still using their Skyrockets as a primary phone?
  2. How many will be interested in Candy6?
  3. How many folks will be able to test for me?

Skyrocket is my first and only (to date) smart phone. I still use it daily. I am interested in M, if the old girl really has the resources to run it. What will it take for you to know whether she actually does? I can test some, but because this is my daily drive, I have limited ability to test the earliest, buggy-est versions. On early, buggy versions, I would have to make a nandroid, install the new version, test a little, and then restore my nandroid as my daily driver.

(Same answer to your question in the Slim thread.)

Reactions: NoSpamDan

yar_nl

Jan 7, 2014
I also use my Skyrocket as secondary device and welcome any development on it.

Sent from my SHV-E330S using Tapatalk

Reactions: NoSpamDan

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
I keep mine in good working order, just in case I mess up my primary phone. I would love to see Marshmallow on it, as it would very likely beat my M8 to the punch. :)

Reactions: zappa41
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    be9f9a3ce13148bb361a064d6bd05e22.jpg

This is Candy5. Built straight from CyanogenMod source with commits from a variety of different Sources/ROMS. We wanted to give the users a fun, fully customizable ROM.We aim to add more features as this project progresses.

Check us out on the web @The-Candy-Shop

Disclaimer: We here at The CandyShop are not responsible for any bricks you may obtain. Please follow the thread rules and steps and everything will be gravy. Remember, backing up before flashing is always recommended.

Features
    *Candy Interface

*Navi Bar Height...Candy Interface

*Battery Percent ...Candy Interface / Status Bar

*Recents Panel Options ...Candy Interface/Recents Panel

*Clock and Date Options...Candy Interface/Clock and Date

*Wake Options ...Display

*Rotation 360 degrees...Display

*Custom Notification Lights...Sounds&Notifications

*Lockscreen Notifications Per App...Sounds&Notifications/App notifications

*IME options from 4.4+ ...Language and input/advanced options

*Disable Ime selector (thanks cm)

*Visual improvements

*ALL of Cm's Latest Feature Additions

*CM Theme Engine

*Button Light Notifications (BLN)

CHANGELOG

See Post #2 for DOWNLOADS

Candy5 is in early stages and will inherit CyanogenMod bugs and issues. But some we have resolved ourselves.
    The base has been tested and passed most users needs for a Daily Driver.

Special thanks to CyanogenMod, SlimRoms, for making their source open.
    Sources:

CyanogenMod
    SlimRoms
    LiquidSmooth

XDA:DevDB Information
    [DISCONTINUED][ROM][5.1.1] Candy 5 - Skyrocket, ROM for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket SGH-I727

Contributors
    NoSpamDan, gimmeitorilltell
    ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2015-03-02
    Last Updated 2016-11-15
    New Build

This one should have Volume Rocker Wake and more...

ROM: candy5-release.v2.5.6-20150621-UNOFFICIAL-skyrocket.zip
    (MD5: a9fe512b64ace50e1886aa11815f56d8)

Enjoy!
    New Build

Another build here that should have the Volume Wake settings working, along with the latest Candy treats...

ROM: candy5-release.v2.5.6-20150623-UNOFFICIAL-skyrocket.zip
    MD5: 35131dc001289418b46cc8dc3db9ca12

Enjoy! :D
    New Build

ROM: candy5-release.v2.5.4-20150607-OFFICIAL-skyrocket.zip
    (MD5: 110ff93f6e5db45ac1d3377fb54fb728)

It's been a while, enjoy!

If you have phone audio issues, try to flash this file in recovery and see if it helps. It should be fine, but as a precaution, always make a nandroid first...
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347756652

I believe credit goes to @bryan2894 for this...
    New 5.1 Build is UP!

See post #2 for details.

You need a newer 5.1-compatible recovery (TWRP 2.8.6.0 is), and 5.1 GApps.

The button key mappings may not work as expected. Of course the 1080p video recording bug is still there.

Any other issues please clean flash only the ROM and provide a logcat or last_kmsg on Pastebin and link it here.

ENJOY!