Black screen caused by custom boot animation

Search This thread

Brandon.Black

Jul 1, 2014
I made a custom boot animation from a program I downloaded and I put it in data/local and set the permissions correctly and I rebooted my phone and after the samsung logo pops up it is just a black screen and after about 5 seconds the navigation lights light up and they stay on, and I can click on the black screen and my volume is blasted and you can hear that the phone is on, just continues with the black screen. So I can't go into root explorer and change the boot animation and I don't know what to do :( I can plug it in my computer and the storage comes up and I can also boot into recovery mode but I'm not sure how to get it to work again. I already tried re-installing the rom I have on it again to like refresh it so it would come back but its still black & also my USB debugging isn't on so I can't use a root explorer on my computer to change it while my phone is plugged in :(

Hope someone can help please!

Brandon.Black

Jul 1, 2014
No I didn't make a backup :( I wasn't expecting it mess my phone up but, how do you delete it from recovery? I have CWM recovery v6.0.4.8

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
No I didn't make a backup :( I wasn't expecting it mess my phone up but, how do you delete it from recovery? I have CWM recovery v6.0.4.8

There's always Odin. Chalk it up to a learning experience. You always make a backup if you're messing with system changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
it normally shouldnt have
im on twrp not sure about cwm but should be similar iirc
from main screen goto mount>check data
go back to main screen>advanced>file manager and navigate to data and find the file, select it then delete it

Brandon.Black

Jul 1, 2014
Thanks guys I fixed it! :) I went into recovery mode and click sideload and plugged it into my computer and went to SDK and then into adb and sideloaded a .zip file that removes the custom boot animation for data/local and then it went to default boot animation and loaded up!