5,814,633 Members 53,312 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Windows 8 Not Recognizing Phone when in "MTP" mode

Tip us?

tomcrable
Old
(Last edited by tomcrable; 7th August 2014 at 01:55 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Windows 8 Not Recognizing Phone when in "MTP" mode

I am running the June 19 build of a CyanogenMod based on version 11-20140620-Sultan-skyrocket (Android 4.4.4).

I was working to reorganize my music library and finally dump iTunes. I am experimenting with a new Music Player that requires a USB synch using MTP.

The main reason for the switch from iTunes is that a lot of my Music is Lossless encoded and it just takes up too much room on my phone. I could not find an iTunes synching solution that would transcode those large files to a smaller format during the synch process (unless I go with an iPod / iPhone).

When I switch my phone to MTP mode, the PC (Windows 8.1) does not recognize it. If I switch to Mass Storage (UMS) the phone shows up in the file explorer.

Any suggestions on how to get the MTP working would be appreciated.

Thanks

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Go to device manager and look for the the icon with an exclamation mark, with your phone hooked up to usb. Right click on it and update software. Then go to where it says let me pick from a list..... Choose android composite adb interface. It'll ask you if your sure, just say yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tomcrable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Go to device manager and look for the the icon with an exclamation mark, with your phone hooked up to usb. Right click on it and update software. Then go to where it says let me pick from a list..... Choose android composite adb interface. It'll ask you if your sure, just say yes.

Sorry for the slow reply and Thanks for the post. Unfortunately Windows would not let me update the driver in error in the Device Manager. It said it was an unrecognized USB Device and would not browse for additional drivers. I tried every way I could think of to "force" it.

Just to help determine what might be going on, I restored the ATT / Samsung ICS using CWM. Unfortunately I am having similar issues with that. Sometimes the USB connects and sometimes it is unrecognized. I tested the cables and my Windows 8.1 PC with my Galaxy 5 (stock ATT KITKAT) and everything seems to work fine. I guess the micro USB port on my phone must be going bad.

Thanks again

vincom
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrable View Post
Sorry for the slow reply and Thanks for the post. Unfortunately Windows would not let me update the driver in error in the Device Manager. It said it was an unrecognized USB Device and would not browse for additional drivers. I tried every way I could think of to "force" it.

Just to help determine what might be going on, I restored the ATT / Samsung ICS using CWM. Unfortunately I am having similar issues with that. Sometimes the USB connects and sometimes it is unrecognized. I tested the cables and my Windows 8.1 PC with my Galaxy 5 (stock ATT KITKAT) and everything seems to work fine. I guess the micro USB port on my phone must be going bad.

Thanks again
if its seen as a mass storage device but not mtp its a driver and/or win8 issue

Hit The Thanks Button If Ive Helped

MY SUPERLITE ROMS
CM10.1 & CM10.2
AOKP JB4.3
SL-PAC-Man JB 4.3
CM10 JB 4.1.2
ATT JB 4.1.2
ROGERS JB 4.1.2
MY STICKIES
1 STOP > ROMS | KERNELS | FIRMWARE | RADIOS | RECOVERIES | GUIDES | INFO | & MORE
HOWTO > | RESTORE TO STOCK | USE ODIN | INSTALL CWM/TWRP | ROOT |

Newbs B4 you flash
Read more!!
Read the stickies!!! Search!!!
Once you know what you are doing and are stumped at a certain problem, post in the q&a forum

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrable View Post

Thanks again
You might try this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42022027

Windows 8 can be a pita to get drivers installed