FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

"Moisture detected"

296 posts
Thanks Meter: 135

By xxaarraa, Senior Member on 3rd March 2016, 03:50 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I took an underwater photo this morning and put the phone away (S7E). 4 hours later I plugged it into the wall (fast charger) for a top-up and the phone popped up an error message "moisture detected in charging port.." and the phone won't charge.

Is this a safeguard? I will try charging again in a few hours, but curious if anyone else observed this so far..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxaarraa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xxaarraa Ad-Free

3rd March 2016, 03:54 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Pop it in some rice as a precaution maybe?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
3rd March 2016, 03:55 PM |#3  
Wolverhampton
Thanks Meter: 35

More
I have read somewhere it's like a kill switch in charging port should be fine after a while
3rd March 2016, 03:56 PM |#4  
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 1,051

More
Sounds like a very sensible safeguard to me. Regardless of how waterproof the phone is, the charging port has to be exposed at least partly until the contacts hit the seal. If there is moisture on those exposed contacts, it could result in a short and issues. Take a hair dryer to the port for 30 seconds and try again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beefheart For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Beefheart Ad-Free
3rd March 2016, 04:22 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Tried the hair dryer and no go, phone won't charge. No more error message. I will try after a while and see if its different. Between buyer's remorse, warranty and my jump insurance, I am not worried about it.

But it is annoying for a water resistant / IP68 phone to act up after its first 30 seconds of exposure to water. Having to find a hair dryer or box of rice each time I get it wet defeats the point of IP68 frankly.

Anyway, more to come.
Last edited by xxaarraa; 3rd March 2016 at 04:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xxaarraa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xxaarraa Ad-Free
3rd March 2016, 04:28 PM |#6  
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 1,051

More
Perhaps when the error has been displayed, it trips a flag which stops it from charging for a set time, even if it's able to.

You can always go down the wireless charging route. Whilst it's not allowed to charge via the cable, that's bound to work. No good if you don't have a wireless charger mind, but I suspect most people with one of these will get one eventually.
3rd March 2016, 05:21 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Good to know they have a safety-switch i guess
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamSlayr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TeamSlayr Ad-Free
3rd March 2016, 05:40 PM |#8  
Flag Mulberry, Florida
Thanks Meter: 584

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa

Tried the hair dryer and no go, phone won't charge. No more error message. I will try after a while and see if its different. Between buyer's remorse, warranty and my jump insurance, I am not worried about it.

But it is annoying for a water resistant / IP68 phone to act up after its first 30 seconds of exposure to water. Having to find a hair dryer or box of rice each time I get it wet defeats the point of IP68 frankly.

Anyway, more to come.

Wireless charging

But after I dunked mine during the podcast I had it charging within an hour and never saw the alert.
The Following User Says Thank You to altimax98 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift altimax98 Ad-Free
3rd March 2016, 05:51 PM |#9  
Flag Broomfield - Colorado
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I actually had this issue without the phone being wet. I bought a 10 ft USB cable for my living room to run behind my couch to the end table so I can charge my phone in my living room if needed and not have it visible. Long story short when I plugged it in to the third party cable, it said there's moisture and won't charge.

Anyone else having third party USB cable issues?

Works fine with the Samsung cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to vahdyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vahdyx Ad-Free
3rd March 2016, 06:28 PM |#10  
Flag England
Thanks Meter: 686

Donate to Me
More
Good to know it has a safeguard.

I will still avoid getting it in water even tho the phone is IP68 rated. mainly because I watched a Youtube video that suggested that the sound goes much quieter when it has been submerged. Also, a website suggested the warranty does not cover water damage, which imo is stupid for a phone that's been advertised as being waterproof.
The Following User Says Thank You to CuBz90 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CuBz90 Ad-Free
3rd March 2016, 06:38 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuBz90

Good to know it has a safeguard.

I will still avoid getting it in water even tho the phone is IP68 rated. mainly because I watched a Youtube video that suggested that the sound goes much quieter when it has been submerged. Also, a website suggested the warranty does not cover water damage, which imo is stupid for a phone that's been advertised as being waterproof.

That happened to my Sony Z3C, advertised almost like it was a submarine but after some splashes it stopped working. Only then I've found warranty didn't cover it, tho it was Sony's ads that lead to the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Viegas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jose Viegas Ad-Free

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)