[SOLVED][Q] Download mode gone, i897, SlimBean

24th August 2014, 11:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
TL;DR at the bottom

I own a rooted Samsung Galaxy S (captivatemtd/SGH-i897) from AT&T. I'm currently running Slim Bean
build 2.2 version 4.3.1.

I want to install another ROM, preferably KitKat based. However, when I try to install a new package, it
tells me that I'm using an i9000. This is patently false. Google tells me that Slim Bean uses a custom
kernel that is responsible for this. Baseband version is T959TLJL3 - the T959 is a T-Mobile Vibrant. The
only solution I've found is flashing back to stock, which involves entering download mode.

I've removed the SIM and MicroSD cards, held down the VOL+, VOL-, and Power buttons, and nothing
happens. I've attempted to enter download mode from recovery... and the phone reboots normally. I've
even tried ADB, "reboot download" results in a normal reboot. Also of note, attempting to boot into
recovery mode with the 2-button method (VOL- and Power) does not work - I have to use the "Reboot
to Recovery" option either in Rom Manager or the power menu from the OS, or use "reboot recovery"
in ADB shell.

I've never had this problem before. I've successfully flashed Paragon; Firefly; CM7, 9, 10, and 11; Dirty
Unicorns; and now, Slim Bean.

I am loathe to flash an i9000 ROM, since those aren't made for my hardware, and if they include an
actual i9000 kernel I'm afraid that will really brick my phone.

I simply want to get Slim Bean off my phone so I can use other ROMs again. If I'm going about this
the wrong way, I'm open to suggestions. I'm also looking into buying a jig, but I'd prefer to have other
options available, especially if that doesn't work (I've read a few posts here that say it didn't for them).

TL;DR = Slim Bean's custom kernel won't let me flash i897 packages. Can't flash new kernel b/c
attempts to enter download mode via 3-button, ADB, and recovery methods simply reboot the device.
Can still boot normally.

What do?
Last edited by Synnymyn; 25th August 2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added "captivatemtd" to model name, SlimBean build number for clarification. Removed aversion to jigs. Marked as solved.
25th August 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 30

383 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synnymyn

TL;DR at the bottom

I own a rooted Samsung Galaxy S (captivatemtd/SGH-i897) from AT&T. I'm currently running Slim Bean
build 2.2 version 4.3.1.

I want to install another ROM, preferably KitKat based. However, when I try to install a new package, it
tells me that I'm using an i9000. This is patently false. Google tells me that Slim Bean uses a custom
kernel that is responsible for this. Baseband version is T959TLJL3 - the T959 is a T-Mobile Vibrant. The
only solution I've found is flashing back to stock, which involves entering download mode.

I've removed the SIM and MicroSD cards, held down the VOL+, VOL-, and Power buttons, and nothing
happens. I've attempted to enter download mode from recovery... and the phone reboots normally. I've
even tried ADB, "reboot download" results in a normal reboot. Also of note, attempting to boot into
recovery mode with the 2-button method (VOL- and Power) does not work - I have to use the "Reboot
to Recovery" option either in Rom Manager or the power menu from the OS, or use "reboot recovery"
in ADB shell.

I've never had this problem before. I've successfully flashed Paragon; Firefly; CM7, 9, 10, and 11; Dirty
Unicorns; and now, Slim Bean.

I am loathe to flash an i9000 ROM, since those aren't made for my hardware, and if they include an
actual i9000 kernel I'm afraid that will really brick my phone.

I simply want to get Slim Bean off my phone so I can use other ROMs again. If I'm going about this
the wrong way, I'm open to suggestions. I'm also looking into buying a jig, but I'd prefer to have other
options available, especially if that doesn't work (I've read a few posts here that say it didn't for them).

TL;DR = Slim Bean's custom kernel won't let me flash i897 packages. Can't flash new kernel b/c
attempts to enter download mode via 3-button, ADB, and recovery methods simply reboot the device.
Can still boot normally.

What do?

It won't brick it. In essence, the board of all GSM Galaxy S1 era devices are the same (even Galaxy Tab and Nexus S to an extent), and they're about 90% compatible ROM wise. Worst case scenario is that the hardware button aren't correct. Bootloader is more of an iffy issue, but the i9000 bootloader is fully compatible with both the vibrant and the cap, so there is that (Stock ROM music player won't work with another device's bootloader, but it isn't relevant here). As for the baseband, Cyanogen flashes the Vibrant baseband by default for whatever reason, but they're fully compatible.

Anyway:

1. Open up the ROM you want to flash
2, Edit the Updater-Script file
3. Remove the first lines, checking for the device name
4. Save, rezip, flash

For your bootloader issue, no idea. Is this a new occurrence, or was it like that from the start? If you can get it into some form of recovery mode, reflashing a rom package should fix your issue. Before you do anything drastic, try:

Remove the battery, reinsert

Hold Vol + and Vol -

Plug it in.

If that does work, I'd recommend flashing over the i9000 bootloader. Entering recovery and download is a lot easier (Vol- + Power, Vol+ + Power)
Last edited by thebulletfromhell; 25th August 2014 at 06:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to thebulletfromhell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
♫Haaallelujah!!♫
Thank you!! I was able to enter download mode, and I also edited the updater-script (located in "/META-INF/com/google/android")
and it worked beautifully. I even spent some time orienting myself with ADB, used that to sideload the file after editing it - fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletfromhell

In essence, the board of all GSM Galaxy S1 era devices are the same (even Galaxy Tab and Nexus S to an extent), and they're about 90% compatible ROM wise. Worst case scenario is that the hardware button aren't correct.

I've noticed a lot of similarities, some of the hardware is a tad different (hardware buttons, forward facing camera, AM/FM tuner,
slightly different UMTS frequencies) but apparently they're close enough :P Heck, the i9010 is basically a re-branded i897 with
802.11n+BT3.0, usb 2.0, a diff battery cover, and NO AT&T LOGOS (do want!!) - same mainboard, even says i897 on it.

Quote:

For your bootloader issue, no idea. Is this a new occurrence, or was it like that from the start?

Although I've used a lot of different bootloaders, I've never had this issue before. For some reason, though, I couldn't remember or
find online that you could just...

Quote:

Remove the battery, reinsert

Hold Vol + and Vol -

Plug it in.

...and force download mode. When doing it, I kinda have to hold the phone funny (since I'm right handed) to hold down both buttons
whilst simultaneously plugging in the micro USB plug... that's when I remembered that I had been instructed to do that when I was
initially rooting my device back in 2011, IIRC.

I love my Cappy - it's tough as nails, and while it can be slow, it gets the job done. I've considered getting a newer, faster phone,
but the Wolfson DAC would be hard to replace, and that (plus durability) is a major selling point for me. So I'm sure you can imagine
how frustrating all this was. I'm now running Resurrection Remix 4.4.2, and I have over 250MB of RAM free, whereas on SlimBean I
frequently had less than 50MB with no apps running. It's a real treat! Now, if I can remember how to increase grid size in KitKat... :P

Thanks again!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread