2nd July 2014, 08:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 11

64 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey there Captivate general q&a community, Canadians in particular

I'm in the process of switching from my rogers-based provider (SpeakOut Wireless, trust me, don't get a sim card with them, unless you don't use a whole lot of shortcodes, like #TAXI or if in winnipeg 287898 for busTXT) to my preferred prepaid provider, virgin mobile canada. Now I know that vmc piggybacks on bell's networks, and speakout piggybacks on rogers' 3g based services.

My main question here, is do I need to install a new software modem? I'm, to my knowledge and checking the hex code of nv_data.bin, unlocked and rooted with busybox on KitKat 4.4.3 ( @Monfro 's port of archidroid (get it here))

Now, I know that there is a contributor, and a huge one at that for the i896 crew by the name of @TRusselo, and i want to get his opinion on this for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SwiftlyCreepin

*insert sig here*
Last edited by swiftlycreepin; 2nd July 2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: fixing mistakes on a midnight post
2nd July 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais
Thanks Meter: 1,706

3,891 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftlycreepin

Hey there Captivate general q&a community, Canadians in particular

I'm in the process of switching from my rogers-based provider (SpeakOut Wireless, trust me, don't get a sim card with them, unless you don't use a whole lot of shortcodes, like #TAXI or if in winnipeg 287898 for busTXT) to my preferred prepaid provider, virgin mobile canada. Now I know that vmc piggybacks on bell's networks, and speakout piggybacks on rogers' 3g based services.

My main question here, is do I need to install a new software modem? I'm, to my knowledge and checking the hex code of nv_data.bin, unlocked and rooted with busybox on KitKat 4.4.3 ( @Monfro 's port of archidroid (get it here))

Now, I know that there is a contributor, and a huge one at that for the i896 crew by the name of @TRusselo, and i want to get his opinion on this for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SwiftlyCreepin

*insert sig here*

If you're already unlocked, there isn't much more that needs to be done. You might have to fix your APNs but as for modems, the one you're currently using should work just fine (never hurts to test other ones for better results though).
2nd July 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 11

64 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm going to go back to stock later, see if that fixes it, and then figure it out.. figured i might have to change apns but it also seems that my cappy only detects my SO sim card,like it says No SIM-Emergency only, and this is starting to concern me.. even then, i bought the virgin mobile sim online for a buck thru ebay. I guess im trying to figure out which is the source of the issue... the sim card being faulty or my cappy..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
canada, i896, rogers, sim unlock, virgin mobile canada
Previous Thread Next Thread