[Q] Low RAM Rom

OP myowneq

17th August 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here and there reading threads on how to root, remove bloatware, and return to stock on my Captivate. This forum has been a HUGE help and for that, I'm extremely thankful for all of the hard work it goes into doing the hard work.

However, I'm out of questions with easy answers and hope ya'll can help me out.

As stated, I have an AT&T Captivate. I use this device for one purpose and that's to play Kabams Kingdoms of Middle Earth. That's it, nothing else. This game used to play well on my Captivate, but it has upgraded beyond the phones capabilities.On the Captivate, the game runs EXTREMELY slow and crashes frequently. You tap on something and it registers 10 seconds later. I know it's a low RAM issue as a LG 925 has no problems running the game at all.

I've rooted the phone and used Titanium backup to remove many items I don't need. It's helped a little, but not to the point of still being useful.

My question pertains to what other ROMs I can use. I see some posts regarding NeatKernel. My problem is unless it's simple point and click like Odin, I'm uneducated in this matter. So I'm really hoping there is something I can download and use Odin to flash.

Can ya'll help?

Thanks,
Tim
19th August 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Outaouais
Thanks Meter: 1,705

3,882 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myowneq

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here and there reading threads on how to root, remove bloatware, and return to stock on my Captivate. This forum has been a HUGE help and for that, I'm extremely thankful for all of the hard work it goes into doing the hard work.

However, I'm out of questions with easy answers and hope ya'll can help me out.

As stated, I have an AT&T Captivate. I use this device for one purpose and that's to play Kabams Kingdoms of Middle Earth. That's it, nothing else. This game used to play well on my Captivate, but it has upgraded beyond the phones capabilities.On the Captivate, the game runs EXTREMELY slow and crashes frequently. You tap on something and it registers 10 seconds later. I know it's a low RAM issue as a LG 925 has no problems running the game at all.

I've rooted the phone and used Titanium backup to remove many items I don't need. It's helped a little, but not to the point of still being useful.

My question pertains to what other ROMs I can use. I see some posts regarding NeatKernel. My problem is unless it's simple point and click like Odin, I'm uneducated in this matter. So I'm really hoping there is something I can download and use Odin to flash.

Can ya'll help?

Thanks,
Tim

Custom ROMs aren't installed through Odin, you'll have to flash them through recovery. There's a good guide in the stickies to get you started (read, read ,read!!!).

Good thing though, as long as you follow the OP's instructions, it should be very easy.

I've heard great things about GamerzROM, I believe it is a JB ROM, which runs nicer on the Cappy than KK anyway.

Note though that there's a point where software can only do so much. Hardware has to keep up too.
25th August 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 30

383 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWolf56

Custom ROMs aren't installed through Odin, you'll have to flash them through recovery. There's a good guide in the stickies to get you started (read, read ,read!!!).

Good thing though, as long as you follow the OP's instructions, it should be very easy.

I've heard great things about GamerzROM, I believe it is a JB ROM, which runs nicer on the Cappy than KK anyway.

Note though that there's a point where software can only do so much. Hardware has to keep up too.

I have to say: it's kind of overhyped to be honest. My extSD just died the other day, and I took the chance to test out the ROM. V4 is really unstable, and it doesn't come with a pre-config-ed kernel like the i9000 version does, so you're on your own in that front. V3 is pretty sluggish, like most JB roms.

@OP

Pick from one of these:

Slim 4.2 - Probably the fastest non-GB ROM IMO. Semaphore and GearKernel is the only kernel still available (most others like Glitch no longer has a working mirror IIRC), and Gear itself is based on Semaphore, so expect similar performances. What Gear has in its favor is the range of governors and schedulers available, so you can play around to see which one delivers the best performance.

CyanAOSP 4.2.2 - CM Base. The SN base feels significantly more sluggish, but gaming performance seems to be the same. Does not play nice with Semaphore and Gear (breaks ALL video playback), so you'll have to use the author's own Semaphore fork - CyanCore.

Cyanogenmod 7 - Fastest ROM for this device. Your game might not support Gingerbread though.

Kernel setting:

Performance + BigMem + SIO. You can switch Performance for SmartAssV2 if you want to save battery while not running the game.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread