[Q] Epic 4G in Recurring Sloth Mode

OP DeafScribe

22nd August 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
What could possibly poison an Epic 4G's system speed across the stock ROM and 2 custom ROMs?

Like this...

I'm on my second Epic 4G, got a used one off eBay about a month ago when the screen on my first one died.

On my first one, I rooted it, upgraded to Clean GB, then eventually moved it to cm-10.1.3.1.

The used one came stock, but ran extremely slowly. No problem - I've seen that happen before with my old phone (I call it sloth mode) and knew that installing a new ROM would resolve it. Just to be conservative, I bumped it up along the same path I did before, Clean GB, then cm-10-1.3.1.

Here's the thing. After installing a new ROM, both phones would operate normally. But no matter which ROM ran on the old phone and the replacement, *eventually* it would slip back into sloth mode. I don't mean sluggish, I mean crawling, even during the bootup animation. Even the CWM recovery menu was sluggish.

When I ran Clean GB on the replacement phone, I didn't add more than 2 or 3 apps to it after installing. But it still fell back to sloth mode after about a week of use. After installing cm-10.1.3.1, it only lasted a 3-4 days before sloth mode returned.

Before changing ROMs, I routinely did a factory reset, cleared cache and Dalvik cache.

Of course a virus is a possibilty, but having security apps installed and running didn't seem to make any difference. Could this be a rootkit-class issue?
21st September 2014, 02:02 AM   |  #2  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,600

28,415 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafScribe

What could possibly poison an Epic 4G's system speed across the stock ROM and 2 custom ROMs?

Like this...

I'm on my second Epic 4G, got a used one off eBay about a month ago when the screen on my first one died.

On my first one, I rooted it, upgraded to Clean GB, then eventually moved it to cm-10.1.3.1.

The used one came stock, but ran extremely slowly. No problem - I've seen that happen before with my old phone (I call it sloth mode) and knew that installing a new ROM would resolve it. Just to be conservative, I bumped it up along the same path I did before, Clean GB, then cm-10-1.3.1.

Here's the thing. After installing a new ROM, both phones would operate normally. But no matter which ROM ran on the old phone and the replacement, *eventually* it would slip back into sloth mode. I don't mean sluggish, I mean crawling, even during the bootup animation. Even the CWM recovery menu was sluggish.

When I ran Clean GB on the replacement phone, I didn't add more than 2 or 3 apps to it after installing. But it still fell back to sloth mode after about a week of use. After installing cm-10.1.3.1, it only lasted a 3-4 days before sloth mode returned.

Before changing ROMs, I routinely did a factory reset, cleared cache and Dalvik cache.

Of course a virus is a possibilty, but having security apps installed and running didn't seem to make any difference. Could this be a rootkit-class issue?

Could it be a failing processor? I had one that went into that mode and never came back...no matter what it would take 20 times longer to boot...boot animation was like beyond slow motion. Best thing to do at this point is to just odin stock and leave it that way for a week...no extra apps or restore and see how it does.
21st September 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Worth a try...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG123

Could it be a failing processor? I had one that went into that mode and never came back...no matter what it would take 20 times longer to boot...boot animation was like beyond slow motion. Best thing to do at this point is to just odin stock and leave it that way for a week...no extra apps or restore and see how it does.

Yeah, it's worth a try. I've also wondered if I slipped up and installed a version of Clean GB or cm-10-1.3.1 that jumped betweeen MTD and BML file formats. I know it could cause problems, but I don't know if it could cause the specifc trouble I had.

Phone's been parked in a drawer for a month since I posted the question. Will odin back to stock and see how it works out.
21st September 2014, 03:39 PM   |  #4  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,600

28,415 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafScribe

Yeah, it's worth a try. I've also wondered if I slipped up and installed a version of Clean GB or cm-10-1.3.1 that jumped betweeen MTD and BML file formats. I know it could cause problems, but I don't know if it could cause the specifc trouble I had.

Phone's been parked in a drawer for a month since I posted the question. Will odin back to stock and see how it works out.

I just hooked one of my old ones up to freedompop through the BYOD program. Nice to see the old girl getting use at least as an emergency phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread