Nvidia shield tablet fireproof battery

Search This thread

noisebomb44

Dec 13, 2014
So ive been searching around for a couple of days for the best battery replacement for the old shield tablet, but every battery people find are third party ones, that are untested, and ive got too much stuff in my home to risk getting them all get destroyed just because i bought a bad battery.

So, since i cant buy batteries directly from nvidia, i have tried finding other tablets whos batteries have about the same specs, but so far the only battery ive found that fits is the Nexus 7 battery, which only has 4000 Mah.

Can anyone help me find the best first party battery that fits the shield tablet?
here are the specs i found for the shield battery
size: 75 * 155 * 4 mm
specs: 5200 MaH 3.8 V 19.7 WH

The size isnt that important, just as long as its smaller than the original size

I will try to post updates if i find a better battery, but please help me if you can

Last edited:

noisebomb44

Dec 13, 2014
Great news!

So, apparently the samsung galaxy tab S8.4 fits our description, mostely.
www . subtel.se / index.php?cl=details&lang=7&anid=919293&cnid=cd01dbd98b61dbccebe8eb11f0ce251d&campaign=se-pla/Akku/919293/
(sorry, i cant post links yet, so you will have to remove the spaces, but unless you live close to sweden, you shouldnt buy it from my link)
BUT dont buy the battery yet, even though the specs seem to match, we still need to see if the size is correct, but thats the problem, i cant find any info about the battery size, and thats why i posted it here.
If anyone on this forum owns this device, then please can you post the size of the battery (W * L * H) so that we can finally can get a fireproof battery

Even if noone owns this device, i will still try to find other alternatives, but i have to say, im really running out of alternatives after looking at most of the best 9 and 8 inch tablets

samsung galaxy tab S8.4 specs
3.8V 4900mAh

Last edited:

sandsandsand

Nov 5, 2015
Hi. I'm also looking for a replacement battery for my Shield tablet.
I hope you will post the results of your experiment...

According to this Norwegian shop the battery has the following dimensions:
107,9mm x 80,7mm x 3,3mm
www . batterispesialisten . no / Batterier-Detaljer/1.12.SAM.1.25,Batteri%20til%20Tablet%20Samsung%20Galaxy%20Tab%20S%208.4.html

Regards

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

This looks perfect:
www . allbatteries . co.uk / tablet-battery-3-8v-5100mah-tml90080.html
- but it does not seem like they ship to either Norway or Sweden.

But they have the following comment: "A difference of a few tenths of a volt is negligible and is dependent on the type of cell used to manufacture the battery (3.6V or 3.7V). This difference does not in any way change the battery's intrinsic characteristics."
- So I guess it should be all right to try a 3.7v battery.

Regards

noisebomb44

Dec 13, 2014
Hi. I'm also looking for a replacement battery for my Shield tablet.
I hope you will post the results of your experiment...

According to this Norwegian shop the battery has the following dimensions:
107,9mm x 80,7mm x 3,3mm
www . batterispesialisten . no / Batterier-Detaljer/1.12.SAM.1.25,Batteri%20til%20Tablet%20Samsung%20Galaxy%20Tab%20S%208.4.html

Regards

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

This looks perfect:
www . allbatteries . co.uk / tablet-battery-3-8v-5100mah-tml90080.html
- but it does not seem like they ship to either Norway or Sweden.

But they have the following comment: "A difference of a few tenths of a volt is negligible and is dependent on the type of cell used to manufacture the battery (3.6V or 3.7V). This difference does not in any way change the battery's intrinsic characteristics."
- So I guess it should be all right to try a 3.7v battery.

Regards

I just came back from holiday, so thats the reson as to why this topic has been so quiet
Thanks for that store! The swedish version didnt have any size information which made it difficult to find if it fits the shield tablet.

The third party battery you posted seems like its going to work, but since it doesnt ship to me, and i dont really trust it more than the ones in other stores, i will see if i can find a first party one soon

siroga825

Oct 30, 2015
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hello , did anyone had problems after replacing battery? i got a new one and connect it same way as it is in https://youtu.be/BJfV5Dr1UTk ( thru original charge controller ) , charged it to full and then tryed to discharge to see how much it takes to check if this 5000mAh on battery was true or not , after ~4h it tablet powered off, but it was showing around 86% battery left, when i tryed turn it on , it wont, so i put it on charger, after full charge i check tablet and it shows 0% on battery, cant get temperature of battery and on default screen show "? " in battery circle ( originaly it was showing remain % ) , tablet stil working fine, charged battery lasts ~same as original one ( mby a little bit less) but it dont show remain %, i was tryed new kernel ( K version from this one http://xdaforums.com/shield-tablet/development/tweaked-kernel-nvidia-shield-tablet-t3069776 ) , but still nothing...

noisebomb44

Dec 13, 2014
Hello , did anyone had problems after replacing battery? i got a new one and connect it same way as it is in https://youtu.be/BJfV5Dr1UTk ( thru original charge controller ) , charged it to full and then tryed to discharge to see how much it takes to check if this 5000mAh on battery was true or not , after ~4h it tablet powered off, but it was showing around 86% battery left, when i tryed turn it on , it wont, so i put it on charger, after full charge i check tablet and it shows 0% on battery, cant get temperature of battery and on default screen show "? " in battery circle ( originaly it was showing remain % ) , tablet stil working fine, charged battery lasts ~same as original one ( mby a little bit less) but it dont show remain %, i was tryed new kernel ( K version from this one http://xdaforums.com/shield-tablet/development/tweaked-kernel-nvidia-shield-tablet-t3069776 ) , but still nothing...

Sorry have been gone for this long because of irl problems
you have to calibrate your battery the first time you use it in order for it to display the right numbers
https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device

Also, i will answer "igeigeige"s post on monday - tuesday, please post a comment telling me that i forgot to do so if i forget
And i will try to get to the bottom of this soon

siroga825

Oct 30, 2015
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Poco F3
Sorry have been gone for this long because of irl problems
you have to calibrate your battery the first time you use it in order for it to display the right numbers
https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device

Also, i will answer "igeigeige"s post on monday - tuesday, please post a comment telling me that i forgot to do so if i forget
And i will try to get to the bottom of this soon

i found this page too, and following it step by step ( method 1 ) and at end of it it says "?" instead of remain %

then tried method 2, result didnt change.. still "?"

sandsandsand

Nov 5, 2015
All right... Now it's done...
I ordered this battery: www . aliexpress . com /item/L238-3-7V-5000mAH-3564150-polymer-lithium-ion-Li-ion-battery-LG-cell-for-tablet/32362427836.html

And so far it's looking good! I have got battery percentage and temperature ok, and it's charging.
One thing I noticed... If you do this job in a hurry, you could miss the last component between the charging controller and the battery.

Here is an image. Too bad I'm not allowed to post images directly on this forum...
i.imgur . com /Kpsc7Fq.jpg

siroga825: I hope you didn't miss this component?

Regards

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I ordered this battery: www . aliexpress . com /item/L238-3-7V-5000mAH-3564150-polymer-lithium-ion-Li-ion-battery-LG-cell-for-tablet/32362427836.html

And so far it's looking good! I have got battery percentage and temperature ok, and it's charging.
One thing I noticed... If you do this job in a hurry, you could miss the last component between the charging controller and the battery.

Here is an image. Too bad I'm not allowed to post images directly on this forum...

Regards

That component is a breaker to kill the circuit if it gets too hot. Let us know how the battery life is, I used a cheap 4000mAh and it's worse than I thought it would be.

sandsandsand

Nov 5, 2015
and how you connect new one? i got same battery, you disconnect original board from abttery or its connected thru it?

I used a soldering iron to remove the board that came with the Aliexpress-battery.

I didn't remove any of the 4 wires from the tablet. I cut the two metal strips connecting the charging controller to the original battery. Then I soldered the Aliexpress-battery on to the original charging controller. Important to put plastic tape around the controller and battery terminals, to prevent short circuit.

Use a voltmeter to ensure you connect the polarity right. And remember to discharge yourself before and while doing this job! Static electricity will kill your tablet!

Regards

sandsandsand

Nov 5, 2015
Here is an update about battery life, after the first day.
I have to say, it's looking pretty ok. But I will wait with the conclusion until I have done a side-by-side comparison with the replacement tablet.

I fully charged and used the tablet today. I'm not a gamer, so it's mainly the screen that draws the juice...

When the tablet turned off because of low battery, it had been on for almost 10 hours, and the screen had been on for about 5 hours and 20 minutes. I have had the screen on about 55% brightness all day.

imgur . com /a/CulcN

I hope to do a side-by-side comparison tomorrow...

Regards

Last edited:

sandsandsand

Nov 5, 2015
Ok.
Today I made a side-by-side comparison of an original tablet and the one with Aliexpress-battery.
I fully charged both, and streamed a movie in loop, with screen brightness 100%.

The one with Aliexpress-battery gave up in about 2 hours.
The original one displays 54% battery level, and estimates another 2 hours to go.

Then we have to conclude that the Aliexpress-battery has about 50% capacity compared to the original one.
So I guess the choice is between a battery with half the capacity, or a battery that may burn down your house.

Maybe some other battery with the right dimensions will show up sometime. Meanwhile I will use the cheap battery that hopefully won't catch fire...

Regards

Last edited:

wejgomi

Dec 22, 2011
If you're really aiming for a good battery with accurate specs, I advise you to consider getting a Nexus 7(2012) battery.

Agd7xxU.jpg

I've been using it in my recall tablet for quite some time now and it's just working great. It fits great inside and charges and holds charge as it should. The capacity is only 4325mah but that's an accurate number and not a false claim as other chinese replacements. I use both tablets actively and I can only tell very little difference in terms of battery life, maybe half an hour give or take. And it's super cheap now!

You obviously will have to cut the connector part and connect the red and black cables each into a single cable and connect them to the former protection circuit. And you won't even have to remove the existing protection circuit from this battery long as you only use the black and red cables. It will charge and work perfectly as the old battery and I've yet to have any issues regarding heating and percentage.

Any questions asked, I'll gladly help, but recall that I don't take responsibility for any damage caused to your tablet.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If you're really aiming for a good battery with accurate specs, I advise you to consider getting a Nexus 7(2012) battery.

I've been using it in my recall tablet for quite some time now and it's just working great. It fits great inside and charges and holds charge as it should. The capacity is only 4325mah but that's an accurate number and not a false claim as other chinese replacements. I use both tablets actively and I can only tell very little difference in terms of battery life, maybe half an hour give or take. And it's super cheap now!

You obviously will have to cut the connector part and connect the red and black cables each into a single cable and connect them to the former protection circuit. And you won't even have to remove the existing protection circuit from this battery long as you only use the black and red cables. It will charge and work perfectly as the old battery and I've yet to have any issues regarding heating and percentage.

Any questions asked, I'll gladly help, but recall that I don't take responsibility for any damage caused to your tablet.

Enjoy!

Had a dead N7 so I did the same thing. Had a cheap "4000" mAh in before and it had awful battery life. At leas now I know I have a decent quality battery in it and can still close up the back.

xanator98

Nov 25, 2015
Messed up any way to fix it

So I messed up when replacing the battery. I did not know that I had to have the original board from the original battery. I disposed of the old battery already (I Should always save them I don't know why I didnt this time) and so long story short I need a way to use the new battery without desoldering the board from the original battery and putting it on the new one. Does anyone have any ideas. Also if anyone has an original battery with the board or has a broken tablet with the original battery I will be willing to buy it from them.

a2d2604

Oct 26, 2015
Hi,

So you stripped the red wires from the connector, joined them together into a single connection... then did the same thing for the black wires? The yellow & white wires aren't used?

Thanks

Enjoy!

Reactions: DemonDC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Agd7xxU.jpg

Enjoy!
    Great news!

So, apparently the samsung galaxy tab S8.4 fits our description, mostely.
    www . subtel.se / index.php?cl=details&lang=7&anid=919293&cnid=cd01dbd98b61dbccebe8eb11f0ce251d&campaign=se-pla/Akku/919293/
    (sorry, i cant post links yet, so you will have to remove the spaces, but unless you live close to sweden, you shouldnt buy it from my link)
    BUT dont buy the battery yet, even though the specs seem to match, we still need to see if the size is correct, but thats the problem, i cant find any info about the battery size, and thats why i posted it here.
    If anyone on this forum owns this device, then please can you post the size of the battery (W * L * H) so that we can finally can get a fireproof battery

Even if noone owns this device, i will still try to find other alternatives, but i have to say, im really running out of alternatives after looking at most of the best 9 and 8 inch tablets

samsung galaxy tab S8.4 specs
    3.8V 4900mAh

Regards
    TUTORIAL for Battery Replacement

Hello,

I've just changed my old battery and replaced it with the Nexus 7 first generation battery.
    How to:

1. Remove the tablet cover. You can do it with a plastic object or with a fingernail. Go around the cover to unclip everywhere.
    Remove the protective tape from the PCB of the old battery

20160428_094858.jpg

2. Cut or unsolder the 2 "wires" that go from the old battery to the old PCB.

20160428_095210.jpg

3. Prepare your new battery (ie with Nexus 7 battery)
    - Cut the 2 red wires and the black wires from the new battery. Don't cut all these 4 wires in the same time or you will get a short-circuit!
    - Solder the 2 red wires together and to a third red wire.
    - Then the 2 black wires together and to a third black wire.
    - Use shrink tubing to make sure there won't be a short-circuit.
    (you can keep the black connector with wires white and yellow or just cut it - I kept it).

20160428_101023.jpg

4. Now you have to solder the 2 wires (that you've just solder to the new battery) to the OLD PCB.

20160428_102412.jpg

It's possible that you can't solder to the PCB. So if your tin doesn't want to stick your wires, you can use "Flux Grease for Tin Solder"
    Here what I've used:

20160428_102424.jpg

5. Then you can put your battery and close the cover.

20160428_113011.jpg

Regards
    So ive been searching around for a couple of days for the best battery replacement for the old shield tablet, but every battery people find are third party ones, that are untested, and ive got too much stuff in my home to risk getting them all get destroyed just because i bought a bad battery.

So, since i cant buy batteries directly from nvidia, i have tried finding other tablets whos batteries have about the same specs, but so far the only battery ive found that fits is the Nexus 7 battery, which only has 4000 Mah.

Can anyone help me find the best first party battery that fits the shield tablet?
    here are the specs i found for the shield battery
    size: 75 * 155 * 4 mm
    specs: 5200 MaH 3.8 V 19.7 WH

The size isnt that important, just as long as its smaller than the original size

I will try to post updates if i find a better battery, but please help me if you can