5,814,981 Members 40,955 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

FYI - Nvidia Shield Tablet LTE Phone Calling IS supported...

Tip us?

jdmadonna
Old
(Last edited by jdmadonna; 11th August 2014 at 10:11 AM.) Reason: Update on lte modem.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default FYI - Nvidia Shield Tablet LTE Phone Calling IS supported...

UPDATE - I was able to track down the following link for the modem that is supposed to be used in the LTE version. This would give credit to the information that tech support gave me. If this is correct, the modem is completely accessible at the software level. HELL YEAH! Now here is the link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/i500-ce...-products.html

I originally called Nvidia tech support back on July 17th, 2014 to see if the LTE version would support GSM voice calling seeing as how it is factory unlocked and compatible with both AT&T and T-Mobile. They would not tell me if the phone restriction in the US was locked down by hardware or software at that time and that I would have to call back once the tablet officially hit the market.

I called today and was AMAZED when the tech told me very honestly that the restriction was at the software level. I then asked, if I were to root the device without unlocking the bootloader, and then use a different framework to expose the dialer and phone settings, would I be able to achieve making phone calls over a GSM connection....................... HE SAID YES!!!!!!

Again, being very forthcoming and stating exactly what I wanted to do, he assured me that this can be done by altering JUST the software, it is not locked down at a hardware level like the uh...cough, cough... Nexus 7 LTE. As usual, rooting MAY void the warranty....BUT he said that doing something like this would be looked at on a case by case basis for determining if these actions would indeed void the warranty. Encouraging, as he did not flat out say, if you mess something up...enjoy your new paperweight!

Praise the lord... I know not everyone needs or wants a tablet that can make calls, but if I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and have a way to make the 30 minutes of calls that I do per month through BLUETOOTH (don't start the whole holding a tablet to your head is stupid argument) while only carrying an awesome performing tablet, than that is fine for me.

Now to just wait for the LTE model to arrive to market and then see if any BADASS DEVELOPER can share with me how to modify the framework to expose that dialer!

Mods... just realized that I posted this to Q&A instead of General, please move if necessary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdmadonna For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aredubu
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmadonna View Post
I originally called Nvidia tech support back on July 17th, 2014 to see if the LTE version would support GSM voice calling seeing as how it is factory unlocked and compatible with both AT&T and T-Mobile. They would not tell me if the phone restriction in the US was locked down by hardware or software at that time and that I would have to call back once the tablet officially hit the market.

I called today and was AMAZED when the tech told me very honestly that the restriction was at the software level. I then asked, if I were to root the device without unlocking the bootloader, and then use a different framework to expose the dialer and phone settings, would I be able to achieve making phone calls over a GSM connection....................... HE SAID YES!!!!!!

Again, being very forthcoming and stating exactly what I wanted to do, he assured me that this can be done by altering JUST the software, it is not locked down at a hardware level like the uh...cough, cough... Nexus 7 LTE. As usual, rooting MAY void the warranty....BUT he said that doing something like this would be looked at on a case by case basis for determining if these actions would indeed void the warranty. Encouraging, as he did not flat out say, if you mess something up...enjoy your new paperweight!

Praise the lord... I know not everyone needs or wants a tablet that can make calls, but if I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and have a way to make the 30 minutes of calls that I do per month through BLUETOOTH (don't start the whole holding a tablet to your head is stupid argument) while only carrying an awesome performing tablet, than that is fine for me.

Now to just wait for the LTE model to arrive to market and then see if any BADASS DEVELOPER can share with me how to modify the framework to expose that dialer!

Mods... just realized that I posted this to Q&A instead of General, please move if necessary.

That is very good news. I really like this tablet, but I will upgrade for the larger storage size and the ability to make a few changes and be able to use it as a phone when needed as well.

Mechcondrid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Speaking of the lte version, does anyone have confirmation its is T-Mobile and attack ONLY as I was looking at the listed cell bands and it does list the bands that others carriers use as being compatible though I saw no mention of what the actual radio chip set is (so its feasible that it isn't gsm only hardware wise)

Sent from my SHIELD using Tapatalk

jdmadonna
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
See my updated op. You might like what you find.

shdwphnx
Old
Thanks Meter 2
According to the Nvidia Shield Tablet FAQ, there are 3 versions of the LTE tablet, only one of which supports voice. Unfortunately, the LTE bands that model supports do not appear to be the ones T-Mobile or AT&T use in the U.S.A.

Hopefully the lack of voice support on the other models will be a software restriction that can be fixed by the developer community here.

From http://shield.nvidia.com/tablet-faq
>>
WHAT CELLULAR NETWORKS DOES THE SHIELD TABLET LTE SUPPORT?
There are three versions of SHIELD tablet LTE. There is a North American version that works on AT&T, T-Mobile and Rogers on LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 7, and 17 and HSPA bands 1, 2, 4, 5.
There is a second International version that works on popular European and Asian networks. It supports LTE bands 3, 7, 20 and HSPA+ bands 1, 2, 5, 8.
The third version also works on popular International carriers, in addition to including voice support on compatible networks. It supports LTE bands 1, 3, 7, 20 and HSPA+ bands 1, 2, 5, 8.
Check with your favorite carrier to verify coverage in your area.
DOES THE SHIELD TABLET LTE SUPPORT VOICE?
There is a version of the international SKU that supports voice on compatible networks, available for purchase in select regions.
<<
Shadowpheonix

mizozizo
Old
(Last edited by mizozizo; 15th August 2014 at 09:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
i want to upgrade my phone and i intend to do exactly as you did .but i'd like to know does the shield tablet have an inner top speaker ? meaning if i want to put it on my ear directly to make a phone call . wouldn't everyone surrounding me hear what the other party on the end of the line is saying to me ?
what would you do about that ? i really need an answer about this matter because it's the only thing stopping me from getting this tablet

rebski
Old
(Last edited by rebski; 20th August 2014 at 09:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Thanks for the great news and just what I had been waiting to have clarified. Presently I am using the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 which has phone capabilities.

My telephone use is very light, texting gets more usage, and I have no interest in carrying two devices. Generally I make phone calls using the speakerphone but if I ever have to take a call in a public place then I hold the tablet to my ear. Just for the record and for those who are paranoid self obsessed, nobody ever notices that my phone is 7.7", let alone point fingers at me

My brother is a heavy mobile phone user and he has a Tab 7.7" also and he will never revert to a small screen phone either.

The UK release date for the LTE version is 2nd September which is close to my birthday so I wonder what Santa will bring

This is an excellent move by Nvidia, they deserve to have outstanding success with the Shield Tablet.

In the meantime I am watching the WiFi and cracked casing threads to see how Nvidia are responding, I wouldn't be surprised if the release date is delayed while those issues are addressed.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 Stock 4.1.2
Dell Streak 5 CM7

alberic000
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Same situation as rebski/ I got a tab 7.7 too...

But unfortunately the shield tablet looks quite heavy, 390 grams with 8"... And doesn't have a notification led/ or an amoled screen ( on my tab 7.7, I use NoLed)
But all the ports are very useful.... Quite a dilemma with the tab Style 8.4 (290 grams)

Maximumhigh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Pre-order or wait?

So I'm looking to replace my nexus 5 with an nvidia shield... This will be my first time using a tablet as a phone. I'm rather nervous about dropping the extra hundo (100$) on a tablet when there is a chance that I wouldn't be able to use it as a replacement for my phone, sure its the best looking tablet on the US market right now and lets be honest, i'd happily drop 300$ on the none LTE version but I don't want to drop the extra money if this wont work. What do you guys think are the probability of being able to use this as a phone replacement and even if it is not capable of LTE voice in the US market is there a reasonable workaround the can be done to be able to use the tablet as a phone?

rebski
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
What do you guys think are the probability of being able to use this as a phone replacement and even if it is not capable of LTE voice in the US market is there a reasonable workaround the can be done to be able to use the tablet as a phone?
It seems like it should be possible but much may depend on location and carrier technology. But I supect that we may have to expend some cash and time in order to get it to work even in those areas where the capability seems certain. In short it probably won't make calls straight out of the box but we shall know more once the LTE models are shipped.

http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/tablet-faq/
"DOES THE SHIELD TABLET LTE SUPPORT VOICE?
There is a version of the international SKU that supports voice on compatible networks, available for purchase in select regions."

Sorry if my opinion is so vague but Nvidia themselves are not at all clear on the point.The next couple of weeks should bring some clarification and answers.

I am assuming that many people will buy the 32Gb version regardless but I will only buy it if it makes phone calls.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 Stock 4.1.2
Dell Streak 5 CM7