Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

FYI - Nvidia Shield Tablet LTE Phone Calling IS supported...

OP jdmadonna

4th October 2014, 01:40 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Unhappy
That's a bumer... I got SMS kinda work with go SMS pro. But the voice is not working. Is there any custom ROM would enable voice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwphnx

I recently had a conversation with Nvidia regarding voice support on LTE devices in the United States. Here is what they had to say (names removed to protect privacy)...

5th October 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #22  
Flag Fresno
Thanks Meter: 18

93 posts
Donate to Me
More
I really hope that someone figures this out. Making calls would be sweet.
6th October 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidMahn

I really hope that someone figures this out. Making calls would be sweet.

Completely agree with you, although I am not making calls that much but still need to receive those few ones I am receiving each month. Placing calls can always be done by using skype or any other VoIP software.
Most likely I will get a new temporary sim card to use with the tablet on LTE temporarily while getting an old Nokia with good battery life (Nokia 1100) to keep receiving this few calls.

I can bet xdadevs will enable calling in the future!.
6th October 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Has anybody tried the european version?
8th October 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 4

3 posts
Try the Hangouts Dialer
I got the 32GB/LTE version for my wife, with the hope that she could use carry one single device instead of choosing or carrying a 7" tablet + phone. We got the 3GB data plan from T-Mobile for $10/month.

We tried the Android Hangouts Dialer from the Play Store the other day, and I must say it is very, very good. In fact, I'm thinking of stealing the tablet back. Assuming I can also get it away from the kids (which is pretty difficult too - I bought two controllers).

The only downside I can see is the lack of emergency calling, and possible trouble with Google Hangouts, which tends to be problematic on Mondays for some reason. Otherwise this looks like a great solution. Data usage looks below < 1MB/min so 3GB would provide maybe 50-100 hours of talk time if I didn't use any other data. I figure a good mix might be 5 hours of talk (<300MB of data), and perhaps 2.5GB of "other" data. For $10 a month - that's a pretty good deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deppman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th October 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #26  

5 posts
I got my tablet yesterday and very happy with it. Wish I had got at least one controller. Got a data plan and LTE works quite good. I was waiting for this device for more than a year.

Sadly hangouts is not available as a gsm voice number replacement in my country. Will wait until hopefully the call restriction will be lifted.

The tablet is a bit big to keep in the pocket but if a person is using up backpack or small purse then it can be used as a phone replacement without problems.

Some things I have seen on the improvement side
- had to tweak it a bit after ota 1.2 for the battery saving
- no on screen controls for mirroring
- LTE and WiFi signals not so strong
- heavy and phone calls not supported 😢
Last edited by will824; 8th October 2014 at 11:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to will824 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th October 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #27  

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by souphunkie

That's a bumer... I got SMS kinda work with go SMS pro. But the voice is not working. Is there any custom ROM would enable voice?

souphunkie how did you manage to make SMS work with SMS? was with Free Message feature?.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread