Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,525 Members 38,533 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it worth it?

Tip us?

aamir123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Yea I just returned mine as well got a couple cracks. But seriously considering if I should buy again due to the limited battery life. But it's hard especially considering the performance difference between the k1 and snapdragon. Also there a lack of stylus tablets

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Free mobile app

npaladin2000
Old
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
That K1 almost seems like a laptop chip...in fact, they're also using it in Chromebooks, and it's turning out to be the equivalent of the i3 Chromebooks. We'll probably never see K1 in a phone, but it's nice to see a tablet with enough muscle to potentially take over for a laptop, I bet the SHIELD Tablet could easily do video and audio re-coding if someone would just come up with the apps for it.

Of course, yes, that could make for a toasty tablet.
If I ever use this space to beg for thanks, just slap me.

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
The wifi issue is what it is. Either folks need to tolerate it, or return it. Maybe they will correct it with future production.
And that's the biggest issue. Nowadays having a smart devices with unstable functioning Internet connection would make the device almost useless.

I just returned mine and the Best Buy rep asked me "Internet issue?" without me even telling her. That speaks volume on how many of these tablets have such issue.

Nvidia need to at least do some research and acknowledge the issue.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active

An Droid
Old
(Last edited by An Droid; Yesterday at 03:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
For those with Wi-Fi issues (and possibly battery drain related as well), check your advanced Wi-Fi settings and disable the Wi-Fi Optimization option.

My understanding is that this option steps down Wi-Fi speeds when a device is idle - even if you're currently using the device. My thoughts are that this will negatively impact your Wi-Fi performance (including apps losing connection due to limited speed) and also negatively impact your battery when sleeping when a background process is limited in it's Wi-Fi connection speed (making the process active longer, preventing the return to sleep).

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app

adslalex
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for all the infos,
Just destroyed my previous tablet (I'll never buy an Archos product again).

I'm really seduced by the streaming PC game part of the shield, so it's either this or a tablet pc like the razer range (but they are not sold in france and I don't know their products).

Do you think I should wait for the second version ? I doubt I'll use 4G data connection, but can't be sure.
I have strong wifi at my various destinations and already see me with bluetooth gear playing diablo3 everywhere lolz

The shield is for me ? All versions ?

Cheers and thanks again