FORUMS

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Battery Drain while on charger

10th September 2014, 03:18 AM |#31  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funb0b

Not so much.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It wasn't looking good when I was testing it against other devices for max amp pull either. I think the stock charger isn't the best. At least it keeps with my findings. Now to see about getting consistent charge amperage. 1.1 at times is far below what it should be.

10th September 2014, 08:12 AM |#32  
Flag Pyongyang
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiteful Monkey

I never once posted or said it was drawing more then 2 amps. The Nvidia converter box isn't that great either. I was simply stating that better quality parts netted a better result for me. Shortly after, I started to notice the amperage draw inconstancy. At first I thought it might be heat related until I did some more testing using a infrared thermometer on the back of the unit during charge and charge with use. The temps played no part in the amp draw from my findings on my tablet.

I think this is both a software and hardware issue. If you have testing results that differ from mine, please feel free to share. The purpose of this threads was to get info from everyone.

Here it is over there https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...roid-games/15/

Oh, sorry, I must've understood you wrong in your first post. I thought you meant by switching to a more expensive cable you were able to draw over 2A. My bad.

Your findings are more than interesting! Thanks! Hopefully Nvidia get this fixed ASAP. The more I read about the device, the more I don't regret sending it back. It was a nice device, but it reminded me too much of the nexus 10 and all its problems.
Last edited by IRKONIK; 10th September 2014 at 03:10 PM.
12th September 2014, 11:21 PM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I bought this tablet few weeks ago. Last night i put it to charger at 87% after I woke up, and looked at my tablet, it was at 77% at as hot as hell... about 70+ degrees celcius hot... i burned my hand almost. then i took the charger (stock) out and remover the usb cable (stock) from it, the plug was around 60 degrees... almost as hot as my tablet. so I turned the thing off and plugged in to another wall, now with power off, it is not hot anymore.

The battery has been so weak, i can play Brave Frontier with my iPad Mini about 8 hours, with this Nvidia Shield, around 2h and the tablet is while playing so hot ( ~60-70C), that the cover must be on the back so i can touch it. Is that normal? My phone (Z2) runs very hot (~65C) while playing this same game, but not on my old Note 2, that was cool as ice.. If i want to stream and play anything, it must be connected to a charger, then i can stream whole day, battery will last, if charging, a whole day! (It will ran out at somepoint, was at 43% from 100% after 5h of streaming live to twitch while charging) WOW! NICE NVIDIA!
29th December 2014, 05:20 PM |#34  
Nagrand
Thanks Meter: 17

More
NO.... i love this tablet i really love it now i can't buy it because of this + cracking issue + wifi issue that's terrible, nvidia ruined such a great tablet for these small stuff!

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darni

I bought this tablet few weeks ago. Last night i put it to charger at 87% after I woke up, and looked at my tablet, it was at 77% at as hot as hell... about 70+ degrees celcius hot... i burned my hand almost. then i took the charger (stock) out and remover the usb cable (stock) from it, the plug was around 60 degrees... almost as hot as my tablet. so I turned the thing off and plugged in to another wall, now with power off, it is not hot anymore.

The battery has been so weak, i can play Brave Frontier with my iPad Mini about 8 hours, with this Nvidia Shield, around 2h and the tablet is while playing so hot ( ~60-70C), that the cover must be on the back so i can touch it. Is that normal? My phone (Z2) runs very hot (~65C) while playing this same game, but not on my old Note 2, that was cool as ice.. If i want to stream and play anything, it must be connected to a charger, then i can stream whole day, battery will last, if charging, a whole day! (It will ran out at somepoint, was at 43% from 100% after 5h of streaming live to twitch while charging) WOW! NICE NVIDIA!

i would suggest you to turn fps lock, can you tell me the results after that?!

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:

My update carried over from the Nvidia forums...

*A update*

Tonight I tried a Kopi 20 awg USB charge cable along with a 4.8 amp Limefuel power brick (2.4 each port). I was able to play portal for 1 hour with no drop in charge. It wasn't able to climb, but it didn't drop.

So now tomorrow I'll start testing each piece (both factory and my own) through a actual ammeter while using the device and post my results. I have a feeling both the cable and charger (factory) are not up to par. I'll also try with a 5 amp power source and custom cable to see if I can't net a positive charge when in use. Of course the tablet won't draw that much, but it will absolutely supply the max the tablet is allowed to pull.

Pictures and info to come.

*edit*

It is also charging MUCH MUCH faster then the stock ever did. After I get my numbers tomorrow, factory cable and charger are finding a new home in my trash bin. Charging is night and day difference. I am starting to feel better about my purchase.

maybe using high amp is dangerous , nvidia extremely disappointed me i loved this thing so much ! it looked amazing ! now im gonna wait for new tablet to come because my other choice is nexus 9 which still has tons of problems like shield ! and is expensive ! and tab s lags at some games ! i will wait for 810 ! can't be on my nexus 4 for much longer
this is ridicules , i would connect a computer psu to play games on it :|
11th January 2015, 05:33 AM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Has anyone noticed that the tablet will drain the battery under use even on the charger?

I was quite surprised by this. Light use yields a charge but native gaming (not streaming) produces a power deficit. Something such as the Face demo will drain the battery in under a hour even on charge. Games such as Half Life 2 I have noticed will yield 5-6 hours of use from 100% to dead.

I have ordered a good 18 awg charge cable and solid 4.8 amp plug I am going to test with it. I have a usb voltage/amp meter coming as well to see what it is pulling during charge and use.

To this extent, I wish they had included an actual charge port to negate the over draw.

what kind of tablet are you using? You should consider juice defender, clean master, and greenify. It will manage apps by closing them and allowing you to stop those apps that start up by themselves. You will need root though.
29th March 2015, 11:45 PM |#36  
Flag Adelaide, South Australia
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unhappy My battery is draining while plugged in to mains power
I have the Shield 32Gb 4G LTE Tablet and it dosent matter what game or app I use or even if it is idling by battery drains quickly when plugged into the mains power. Nvidia needs to do some sort of update to fix this as it is annoying. it takes 2 hrs of use (if i'm that lucky) and up to 4 hrs to charge it up again. This is utterly ridiculous! when my device is plugged into the wall socket I expect it to maintain a full charge at all times. I'd expect it to drain if plugged into the PC via USB but not in the mains power!
to top it all the Shield tablet has the quite possibly on of (if not THE) fastest battery drains of all modern devices due to it's power ravenous Tegra K1 GPU.

I hope Nvidia rectifies this post-haste as I am not the only customer disgruntled by this problem!
4th April 2015, 12:05 PM |#37  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darni

It doesn't sound normal, it must have some issue either the tablet, or the charger, or both... Man have it checked out. I'm not playing Brave Frontier but I'm playing Chain Chronicle (which I'm told is a similar game) and it doesn't burn up, plus my tablet can last about 5 hours (maybe more, in 5 battery may be low but not completely empty) without being plugged in. It's still a weak battery but you must have gotten a really problematic piece :/
6th April 2015, 09:02 AM |#38  
Flag Adelaide, South Australia
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nvidia Shield Tablet still loses charge when connected to mains power.
I have a 240v 2.4A charger now (for another $40AUD) and several of my apps STILL drain the battery. Some drain it big time.

I have compiled a list of battery killers here:
Dead Effect: even if I shut off 2 of the 4 cores this drains 1% off the battery each level played (3% drained with all 4 cores on)
Dead Trigger 2: this app is a battery killer! even with 2 cores shut off, CPU frequency halved, Framerate locked to 30fps and game set to medium detail. this app continuously drains the battery while connected to power.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein Touch: I have a HD Texture pack on this one and the battery drains 4-5% for every level played.
Doom Touch: I have a HD Texture pack and this drains 2-3% off the battery for each level played
Jedi Knight 2 Touch: this has x512 textures to begin with. Drains 5-6% off the battery each level played.
Nvidia Gamestream: This kills my battery by hitting the battery hard. I played about 5 mins of a game and was 11% down on my battery for my troubles.
Plex: when streaming a movie the other day I found I lost 8% off my battery after 5 mins of watching.

I have sent a support ticket to Nvidia.

I hope this gets fixed soon as this is the mother of all head-$%#@s for me.

I will keep you posted if nvidia fixes this BS.

EDIT: I powered up my shield tablet and let it idle on home screen for 5 mins while connected to mains power with 2 of the 4 cores turned off. Battery lost 1% of charge after 5 mins of doing nothing and a further 2% in the next min of idling. My tablet has officially become unusable due to excessive battery drain while plugged in no matter what battery saving settings I use!!!! even with 2 cores shut off, CPU slowed down to 50% and framerate locked to 30fps. the #$%@ing battery STILL drains even when idling!!!!!!!!! Well played Nvidia, Well Played.

I bet I got a new tablet with a faulty battery. It is just my luck for that to happen!
Last edited by Hoover1979; 6th April 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread