Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,045 Members 38,369 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] DirectStylus Drawing/Sketching Experience?

Tip us?

TheZeldaLova
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] DirectStylus Drawing/Sketching Experience?

Greetings! I am simply wondering if this tablet provides a decent drawing experience when compared to, say, the Galaxy Note line of products. I owned a Galaxy Note 8.0 which was wonderful, but after an unfortunate mishap, it's been rendered useless. I've been waiting for a tablet that is somewhat small, has an included stylus, and is very powerful (Stock Android is certainly another plus!). This seems to be the only device that fits the bill. I just want to know if actually feels like a pencil on paper from (hopefully) unbiased owners. I mainly intend to use ArtFlow and LayerPaint HD.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheZeldaLova For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hudrator
Old
(Last edited by Hudrator; 31st August 2014 at 11:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
So nice to hear that there are people noticing that feature of the shield Tablet. So generally after some trys with different apps, Imo it works pretty well. But it can't be compared to an device with an active digitiser.
So you have your main focus on drawing. I would say you can have the same results as with an Spen for example. But you have to learn how to use the Direct Stylus.
In many reviews and threats & posts you will read about pressure sensitivity.
That not the truth. Direct stylus recognise the size of the tip touching the surface. There are two ways to achieve a bigger surface with this kind of stylus :
1. Press real hard on the display
That would be the normal "use" of an pen and an stylus with digitiser.
That is the reason you will read about flimsy tips of the stylus.

2. Twist the stylus while Drawing
When you take a look at the Tip of the stylus you can imagine, how the developers intend to use this kind of stylus .
For example when you want a decent line with a fine start, getting bigger till the end you have to start with the small tip and turn the stylus to a bigger spot.
l know it sounds unfamiliar, specially, when you are used to the Spen of Samsung, but after some tries it works quiet well.

As Nvidias CEO said during presentation , it depends on your personal skill..

Another important thing is the palm recognition.
It works most the time but it uses the same technique as pressure sensitivity. So it sometimes happen that when you lift or move your palm, You are giving an input. The best workaround is to activate the "stylus only mode " in the Menubar.
The annoying thing is, that you can't use pinch to Zoom or your Finger to move your workingsheet.

Hope I could give you a little clou on using the Direct Stylus on the shield Tablet.
If you got some more questions feel free to ask or pm me

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudrator For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abnormaIity
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I use artflow on SHIELD and its ok. I love the stylus and it feels nice to draw with. Not sure if its the tablets senors or ArtFlow but sometimes it isnt accurate, where you think you're touching isn't what the tablet detects. I've only noticed this really with ArtFlow, Dabbler seems to be more accurate so I'm assuming its just the app itself. ArtFlow has rolled out updates for the Tegra k1 since I've downloaded it, so hopefully it gets better. I havn't tried Layer Paint yet.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudrator View Post
The annoying thing is, that you can't use pinch to Zoom or your Finger to move your workingsheet.
Pinch Zoom works fine for me in Stylus only mode for ArtFlow. It is a tad buggy, sometimes instead of zooming/moving it acts as an eraser...which is odd. But the undo button fixes it. Its not perfect but it works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to abnormaIity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheZeldaLova
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thank you so much guys! Could either of you test a pencil on the display? It works with the Tegra NOTE 7 and some other devices like the Galaxy S4/ S5. Make sure it's dull so you don't destroy your screen if you do try it.

Kirrrr
Old
(Last edited by Kirrrr; 1st September 2014 at 06:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Question What about small curls?

Hi, stylus lovers!
I have a question to owners of Shield Tablet.

Some time ago I've tested my colleague's Tegra Note 7 tablet (EVGA branded).
That tablet has Direct Stylus too. And it's stylus "engine" has an distressing flaw: it "eats" small curles. For example if I'm writing small handwritten letter "b" (the upper oval first and then the lower oval) the upper oval will be drawn in very reduced size, almost to dot. But the lower oval will be almost normal. It applies other letters with upper curls like handwritten "f", "h", "k" and "l" too.
(I hope, my explanation and my English is not very ugly.)

So, the question is how Shield Tablet's stylus behave in such situation? Can you just write some handwritten phrase in any drawing app and check out if small curles of letters were "eaten"?

Thanks!

Hudrator
Old
(Last edited by Hudrator; 1st September 2014 at 10:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
That's a thing I noticed too. But I think I can explain a little bit about that.

First of all, what you experienced there is also to see when you are writing with for example an Spen. You just really have to take a close look.
To make the input look cleaner the software kind of renders the detected input and round it up to make it look more fluid.
The picture I posted is out of the App "Write ". There you have a setting where you can choose how much the input gets rounded.
l turned up the setting from No 1 to No 5. The movement on the screen was the same in every line.
So you can see how much influence an App setting can make .

So you can't say yes or no to your question. For me the standard Android handwriting recognition makes a really good job in terms of showing what's been written on the Display without the chicken influence
OneNote is imo an negative example for that.

##### Can't post pictures at the moment.... #####

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app .

Kirrrr
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudrator View Post
the software kind of renders the detected input and round it up to make it look more fluid
Thank for quick reply!
I fully understand that moment. I've spent a lot of time with S-Pen (Note 8 and Note 10.1 2014) and Tegra Note 7 too.
And I can state: S-Pen is more laggy but it don't eats small curls as Tegra Note 7 stylus does.
I played with several drawing apps on Tegra Note 7 and all of them behaves similarly in curl eating.
There is one stylus sensivity setup option in Tegra Note 7 and it doesn't give any good effect for my interest.
I've forgot to say clearly: my interest is not in handwriting recognition. I just want to have precise drawing and handwriting.

So, the question is: does Direct Stylus in Shield Tablet eat curls less than in Tegra Note 7?

Obviously my question sounds whimsy. But I can't do anything with it. I want precise stylus.

Hudrator
Old
Thanks Meter 6
No you don't. I really can understand you. Had the same headache.
On shield tablet l can't find a setting like you mentioned.
I really would like to post some examples but the App won't let me do this for you. So I would say order it and try it on your own. Maybe you find a shop with an good return policy?
I can make thinks look like been eaten up but with the same app l can write the best texts. There it really depends on the kind of pencil & brush and thickness you choose ...
Really sorry mate

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app