Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Methods to Move Stubborn Apps to SD Card

OP bzowk

19th September 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
68 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashee the Cow

I realise this is a couple of weeks old by now but I just got my Shield Tab a couple of days ago, have installed a few games and now the storage is nearly full - there's a few >1GB games which I can't move using the built in a2sd.

So I rooted it and installed FolderMount, but a lot of things just show up as 0B in the apps analyser and I don't have the option to move them.

Any idea what's going on here?

Well after native Apps2SD, Link2SD is the way to go. Dunno if that helps =P. I'd use Foldermount or the equivalent after all else.
19th September 2014, 10:38 AM   |  #12  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenews

Well after native Apps2SD, Link2SD is the way to go. Dunno if that helps =P. I'd use Foldermount or the equivalent after all else.

Installed Link2SD. Seems to pick up the internal storage mounted as an SD card, and doesn't pick up the actual SD card. It says "You can link the app in order to move its files to your SD card", but I can't seem to find anywhere to do that.
20th September 2014, 12:59 PM   |  #13  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Update: some apps for which the option to move to SD is disabled normally (I'm looking at you, GTA:VC) can be moved if I use an adb shell to set the install location to the SD card - but it also showed up in FolderMount.

Some games, however (I'm looking at you, Humble Bundle versions of Horn, Anomaly 2 and The Cave, at least) still can't be moved (I try, it works for a while and then says "couldn't move app", and they show up in FolderMount as 0B (without the option for it to link anything), and I can't seem to find where they're stored in the file system to move and symlink them manually.

So can anyone help me move these things? I was hoping not to have half of my available storage taken up by three games (which is why I got a nice big SD card when I bought this). Thanks
20th September 2014, 10:48 PM   |  #14  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
68 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Storage Linking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashee the Cow

Installed Link2SD. Seems to pick up the internal storage mounted as an SD card, and doesn't pick up the actual SD card. It says "You can link the app in order to move its files to your SD card", but I can't seem to find anywhere to do that.

There should be a linking option. You have to first repartition your card and add a second partition to do this, preferrably EXT4. There are tons of great utilities out there, but I usually use MiniTool Partition Wizard on Windows. Put your microSD in your computer's card reader, and in MiniTool, all you gotta do is make the existing partition smaller and make a new EXT4 partition in the free space. I'd say maybe 5GB or so would be enough, but it depends on you and what you link.

Linking is different from Apps2SD. You can actually do both to save more space.
The Following User Says Thank You to aenews For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st September 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenews

There should be a linking option. You have to first repartition your card and add a second partition to do this, preferrably EXT4. There are tons of great utilities out there, but I usually use MiniTool Partition Wizard on Windows. Put your microSD in your computer's card reader, and in MiniTool, all you gotta do is make the existing partition smaller and make a new EXT4 partition in the free space. I'd say maybe 5GB or so would be enough, but it depends on you and what you link.

Linking is different from Apps2SD. You can actually do both to save more space.

Thanks! Turns out things work when I follow instructions. I used a GParted live USB and created an ext4 partition on my SD card, 16gb (it's a 64gb card, so I've got plenty of space... I can resize it later if need be).
21st September 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #16  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
68 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashee the Cow

Thanks! Turns out things work when I follow instructions. I used a GParted live USB and created an ext4 partition on my SD card, 16gb (it's a 64gb card, so I've got plenty of space... I can resize it later if need be).

Yup Gparted is a great tool. Awesome!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
moving apps to external sd, shield
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes